IGNORED

gel battery

Lawman

I ride my 05 RT at least once a week. I've noticed on mornings when temps are from 30 degrees to 45 degrees F the bike seems to just barely turn over..It's never failed to start but it seems like the battery is very weak. I'm wondering if others have experienced this and should I replace the battery?

ShovelStrokeEd

The only true way to tell would be to load test the battery under the conditions you mentioned. Cold.

I hint to help you along the way, pull in the clutch prior to starting. That way you won't have to pump that heavy, cold transmission oil around along with the oil in your motor.

pull in the clutch prior to starting.

Sidebar: What if the bike is in neutral?

Doesn't matter.

Right, without pulling in the clutch you are still turning over the fluid in the trans. You need to isolate the trans by pulling in the clutch!

Jim cool.gif

I ride my 05 RT at least once a week. I've noticed on mornings when temps are from 30 degrees to 45 degrees F the bike seems to just barely turn over..It's never failed to start but it seems like the battery is very weak. I'm wondering if others have experienced this and should I replace the battery?

Unless you can think of any other reason why the motor turns over so slowly when cold, it seems pretty clear that the problem is the battery.

If you replace it don't replace with a gel! Gel batteries have no business being used for this purpose. Replace with an Odyssey AGM. Best battery going. Second best is a Panasonic AGM from Digikey (delivered to your door at an excellent price).

Also remember that trying to start the bike with a half-dead battery, can cause your starter relay contacts to weld, requiring the replacement of the relay. NOT CHEAP! save the money and frustration and replace the battery.

The only true way to tell would be to load test the battery under the conditions you mentioned. Cold.

I hint to help you along the way, pull in the clutch prior to starting. That way you won't have to pump that heavy, cold transmission oil around along with the oil in your motor.

Now THAT is some usefull FREE information! I did not know that. Thanks. It seems so simple but it didn't occure to me.

Mark

Thanks guys,

I think to be safe I'll just replace it with an Odyssey..Will I need any special connections? How's the fit? Where to purchase?

Thanks guys,

I think to be safe I'll just replace it with an Odyssey..Will I need any special connections? How's the fit? Where to purchase?

Where? ... Click here http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

then click on "Dealer Locator".

Special Connections?.... I put one in a friend's '02 K1200RT, and all it needed was to bend the bike's ground lug and make a simple right angle copper bracket to adapt the (+) terminal lug (on the wiring harness) to the battery's (+) terminal. The Odyssey's terminals are flat against the top of the battery, whereas the original BMW battery terminals were vertical. Thus the need for a bit of adapting. Nothing serious.

Note that the Odyssey will be somewhat smaller and lighter than the original. Don't let that fool you. The Odyssey has FAR more cranking power. It also has MUCH lower self discharge than a standard battery. You can leave them sitting for as long as 2 years and they will still charge up and work normally (ask me how I know!).

Wouldn't the battery still be covered under the warranty? It's a three year warranty in Canada.

I don't know about your '05 RT but my '06 came with a AGM type battery.

I noticed that you always have the description of a flashlight being used as a container for used batteries.

Here is a little trick I use.

get a small button & put it in the end piece, so the batteries don't get run down as quickly.

thumbsup.gif

Wouldn't the battery still be covered under the warranty? It's a three year warranty in Canada.

Just spoke to my dealer service manager and he said he would exchange it for a new battery...no questions asked..

clap.gif thanks.......

Are you sure about that; I thought all RTs came with gel batteries? My '06 RT (Feb 06 build) has a gel battery. Even the specs at the back of the owner's manual says the bike has a gel battery.

marcopolo so your right! Mine says the same thing.

Hmmm I'll check the battery when I get home.

I could've sworn it was a AGM type battery. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the great tip of pulling in the clutch. If you do not. The weight of the oil makes a big different in turning over the engine in cold weather.

Archived