IGNORED

Integral ABS brakes system bleeding

Alain_Labelle

Alain_Labelle

I know this has been covered a zillion times. My Clymer manual suggest that:

Motorcycles (2001 R1150RT)equipped with the ABS system must have the system bled at a BMW dealership...power bleeder...special filling funnel tool.... bla bla bla...

Someone on the board wrote a guide with photos explaining how to bleed the complete system. Is this guide available as a PDF or Word file for printing ?

You can PM me

Thanks

On the top of your page click on M/C FAQ. Scroll down and under the heading "Mechanical & Maintenance" you will find links to Wheel Circuit Bleed and Control Circuit Bleed. These are great step by step write ups guiding you through the brake bleeding process.

On the top of your page click on M/C FAQ. Scroll down and under the heading "Mechanical & Maintenance" you will find links to Wheel Circuit Bleed and Control Circuit Bleed. These are great step by step write ups guiding you through the brake bleeding process.

I agree. I've done a couple of brake fluid change/bleeds on my 02 RT. Each and every time, I take the printed guide from Mama Hoon and the page from the BMW tech manual with the correct bleed sequence for the control circuits. Les also has a very nice paper on clutch bleeding too. All of which, I am very thankful for. Thanks Les.

I agree. I've done a couple of brake fluid change/bleeds on my 02 RT. Each and every time, I take the printed guide from Mama Hoon and the page from the BMW tech manual with the correct bleed sequence for the control circuits. Les also has a very nice paper on clutch bleeding too. All of which, I am very thankful for. Thanks Les.

The new factory approved version indicates only the two main curcuits need to be blad now. The other four can be skipped. There is so little fluid in them that it isn't worth the time.

At any rate, that is how I now do it.

Jim cool.gif

The new factory approved version indicates only the two main curcuits need to be blad now. The other four can be skipped. There is so little fluid in them that it isn't worth the time.

So do I understand correctly that on the control circuits, just bleed the two #1 bleeders, number one for front and number one for rear, and ignor the pair of #2 & #3 bleeders on the ABS box??

So do I understand correctly that on the control circuits, just bleed the two #1 bleeders, number one for front and number one for rear, and ignor the pair of #2 & #3 bleeders on the ABS box??

That is correct!

Makes it much easier since the two you need to bleed are the verticle ones, and easiest to get to.

Jim cool.gif

At any rate, that is how I now do it.

Jim cool.gif

Is this documented in the BMW Service Manual or ??

Hmmmm, on my bikes the vertical ones are not the #1 screws. crazy.gif

I'd double check that fact.

My mistake, dopeslap.gif it is 3 and 6. Front and rear control circuits. Still the verticle ones.

Brake-bleeds.jpg

These two!

I do not have a copy of the tech bulitin, but have seen it at the dealer.

Jim cool.gif

Archived