IGNORED

TB SYNC

bigdavez

OK, got my valves adjusted, now I need to do the throttle body. On other motor bikes I did the work with the air cleaner off. Does this seem like the the thing to do?

R1200RT 2006.

A BMW service adviser told me the other day that they do some type of idle adjustment synch on the R1200's using their fancy computer. I thought that was all taken care of by stepper motors. Does anybody have any information on this procedure????

Thanks, grant-

I believe the idle speed and sync is controlled by the stepper motors, but the high rpm sync still requires one to manipulate the throttle cable.

A BMW service adviser told me the other day that they do some type of idle adjustment synch on the R1200's using their fancy computer. I thought that was all taken care of by stepper motors. Does anybody have any information on this procedure????

Thanks, grant-

The dealer's GT-1 diagnostic machine parks the steppers in a specific equal position prior to the to the technician adjusting the right cable for in sync above idle.

Some of us DIYer's have been ignoring that, some others (including me) have been disconnecting them prior to turning the key on when preparing to do a sync. We know at power down of the bike they are equally parked. You'll have to decided which procedure you want to follow.

My bike has a slight hesitation at idle. I'm going to adjust the valves and rocker play so hopefully that will solve it. But I'm thinking I may have to have the dealer fiddle with the stepper motors if the valve adjustments don't solve it.

Just how do you disconnect the stepper motors? How does the bike idle with them disconnected?

Thanks, grant-

Well first off, a slightly hesitant idle is pretty normal on a boxer, so I wouldn't get to concerned about that.

Regarding disconnecting the steppers, just remove the rubber cap and unplug them. The bike idles like cauk-ca with them disconnected, but that's not the point. Having them equal to do a base line above idle sync is why to temporary disconnect them.

Agreed, it's no biggie. But if it's running right it -should- idle smoothly, but it doesn't. It idles sort of like a racing bike; it sounds a little like it's missing every 5th or 6th cycle.

g-

Archived