IGNORED

Garmin and Macs

rickmoen

I saw this online today:

As many of you know, Garmin recently attended the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. For my post today I just wanted to reiterate what our stance is on Mac support at this time.

We started shipping our Mac-compatible version of Training Center at the Expo. This will be available for download on the Garmin website by the end of this month. This product will be compatible with our Forerunner 205/305 and Edge 205/305 units.

Our next step are Mac-compatible versions of our WebUpdater software that is used to updated unit firmware and the POI Loader application for Custom POI's. Both of these software programs will be available to download in Q1 of this year.

This is only the beginning. We are not going to stop working on reaching full compatibility for all of our software titles. It has taken longer than we thought it would but we are just as committed now as we were when we started this last year. Thanks for your patience.

Good news for those of us using a Macintosh! clap.gif

Rick

Since I'm a Macbook user

I bought a new Garmin 2720 the first part of January 2007, when it comes time to update the software, does this mean I can do it on my MacBook?

Yes! No Virtual PC, Parallels, Boot Camp, or ... We can update our software and maps natively. I'd guess end of Quarter 1 means end of March.

Rick

Since I'm a Macbook user

I bought a new Garmin 2720 the first part of January 2007, when it comes time to update the software, does this mean I can do it on my MacBook?

Hi,

You can do it now using Apples own Bootcamp software or aftermarket Parallels software.

This applies to all intel based Mac's

JR356

Since I'm a Macbook user

Hi,

You can do it now using Apples own Bootcamp software or aftermarket Parallels software.

This applies to all intel based Mac's

JR356

Don't you still need to buy a copy of windows for those solutions to work?

Yes to run Windows on Intel Mac with BootCamp need XP plus Service Pack 2 original. works very well once installed and ...said he starting another controversy... it sure does remind you how much better an operating system Mac Os X is than Windows XP

Don't you still need to buy a copy of windows for those solutions to work?

Yes.. I have done it on one of my machines, but I haven't tried running MapSource or other Garmin software to see if the Mac under Windows will actually recognize the GPS. There are a few issues with connecting peripherals apparently, though I have had no problems with printer drivers, etc so far.

With Intel Mac/BootCamp/Windows XP Pro I have run Mapsource and linked to my BMW Nav III and Garmin GPS60 without any problems at all. Is a great way to plan routes. Have also run POI loader no probs.

The only reason I can think of to put windows on my Macs is to update my Garmin Quest. If Garmin is going to have Mac native software soon, why would I spend any money on Windows? I can wait. The update is not be THAT urgent. grin.gif

Archived