IGNORED

It Al's World

Whip

We just live in it.

Arizona Al had some bidness in San Antonio this week so we made room for a K-Bike visit. He left his house at 5am got here at 6pm(5pm his time).

976 miles 12 hours.

We stayed up talkin and watchin "Long Way Round" till midnight.

Al was very popular with our family.

125009144-L-1.jpg

In the mornin Al took his time sayin good bye

125009151-L-3.jpg

125009163-L-2.jpg

After gearin up he was off to trade some days??????????

125009170-L-1.jpg

Bye Bye Al.

125009203-L.jpg

Good Luck....see ya at Torrey.

Whip

russell_bynum

81mph overall average.

Figure at least 5 fuel stops....maybe an hour stopped.

89mph rolling average.

Al must be slowing down in his retirement. grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

Wow !

You don't mind if 'I' would do it in 2, no, make that 3 days, would you !? grin.gifgrin.gif

Good photo's, beautiful BIKE too ! wave.gif

125009163-L-2.jpg
I think that's the first "Foot shot" I've seen posted since the infamous "I wanna test the FJR's frame sliders" incident. Do you really use a dog as a footrest? lmao.gif
Lone_RT_rider
Wow !

You don't mind if 'I' would do it in 2, no, make that 3 days, would you !? grin.gifgrin.gif

Francious, in the western United States the area is so open and the air so thin that you can go for hours at high speeds and never feel like you are moving that fast. It's really hard to describe how much easier it is to do that many miles in a day compared to more congested areas such as the Eastern United states or possibly even Europe. I couldn't really understand it either until I went there in 2003. It's just a wonderful place to ride. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

If it wasn't for the stich, I would be screaming "That's not AL! There isn't a drink in his hand!!!"

Glad he got out to see you amigo!

Kaisrthumbsup.gif

You haven't been passed until you've been passed by Al towing his trailer. cool.gif

....riding 2-up. I know, not all that unusual, until you look down and see you're in triple digits and he's pulling away from you. grin.gif

Francois_Dumas
Wow !

Francious, in the western United States the area is so open and the air so thin that you can go for hours at high speeds and never feel like you are moving that fast. It's really hard to describe how much easier it is to do that many miles in a day compared to more congested areas such as the Eastern United states or possibly even Europe. I couldn't really understand it either until I went there in 2003. It's just a wonderful place to ride. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

grin.gif Very likely Shawn ... but I am quite sure my bum won't let me sit on it for 12 hours unless it is in a tilting office chair lmao.giflmao.gif

Heh.. I hadn't noticed Larry's toes yet...... no surprise of course, Louise's beauty distracts from such details !!! tongue.gif

"976 miles 12 hours"

That dude ain't right.. crazy.gif

Not by way of comparison, but only for explanation.

Leaving the Gunnison Unrally last summer, I overnighted in Torrey, UT. The next day I made it home (660 miles) in 7.5 hours including all stops. You get into a zone where everything seems to be happening in slow motion. 120 feels like 60. 100 feels slow. Your reflexes are ultra quick. Your alertness level is piqued. You scan the road, the traffic, the overpasses, your mirrors, at an alarming and frequent rate. Yet it feels normal. You don't realize it, but your heart rate is around 100. You lose a pound or two just from metabolic burn (which would explain why Al is so skinny).

The difference with Al is that while I collapsed when I got home, Al gets where he's going at warp speed, pops open a few beers, makes a half dozen pair of earplugs for various riders, pops open a few more beers, and then tells tales of his ride until 2AM. Then he gets up at 5:30 and wants to know where we're gonna ride to today.

When you see that, you realize that what Tom said is true. It is Al's World.

Archived