IGNORED

Add-A-Circuit

dls

I used one to get keyed power to a relay that powers an add on fuse box. Just using the Add-A-Circut alone would be ok if all you were doing is powering one low draw device. i.e. XM, AutoCom, GPS.

The only thing an add-a-circuit is going to do is overload the fuse block as was previously stated.

I installed a Painless 7-circuit fuse panel(JEG'S speed parts) that has both switched and non-switched circuits. If you are going to add circuits, you might as well add a bunch of them and be done with it.

ShovelStrokeEd

I normally just go direct to the battery for all my auxiliary circuits as I like to leave my GPS running at stops so my overall trip time comes out right as does the net average speed. I disconnect everything via the tank bag when stopping overnight.

I cannot see that an Add-a-Circuit will automatically overload the box. It all depends on what it is connected to. Dire predictions without an application of common sense.

Please do remember, in this or any other application involving fuses, that the fuses are not there to protect the electronics but rather the wiring harness and are sized as such. Most farkles, with the exception of lighting additions and heated clothing, really only draw a few milliamps and would hardly be classified as a threat to the harness or the relay bank.

This device allows the addition of electrical accessories to any motorcycle including any 2005 model year and beyond BMWs with the single-wire CAN bus system.

It's easy to add electrical devices directly to the battery of the R1200GS, but to turn them on and off by the key, that is another matter. The BMW's complex CAN bus system will switch off automatically after a short delay. When the red light at the left side of your handlebar turns off, so does your device! And so does the BMW outlet.

I have a R2004RS. This looks like it should work on any BMW. They discuss 2005 plus models. It looks like a nice product, well made, and compact. It looks like a fuse box, with a relay to turn power on with the key. If it is just a relay, it should work with every bike, should it not? Is there something about the CAN BUS that I should know? Thanks.

I dont know much about the CAN BUS, but from what I understand, it is difficult to integrate electronics with the CANBUS system.

It took me a minute to figure where your quote came from. I now see it on the Touratech website. I have this unit on my 2004 1150RT. It connects to the battery, and the yellow lead goes to the tail light (switched) circuit. I'm running my XM, GPS, Audocom with Kenwood GMRS/FRS, and a temperature indicator unit. Each item is fused, and I put a 7.5 amp fuse in the touratech block.

It is triggered with just a relay, and it will work with your 2004 RS.

You can find other items (or make your own) that will do the same thing. I like this due to the quality and size.

Perry

BTW - where in NJ are you?

They work fine for a low power device such as a GPS, radar detector, etc. I have used them a bunch.

Wouldn't try to run lights or anything heating off of one, or lots of different things as you'll create a rats nest of wires. But for a one-off it will be just fine. Use simple solutions for simple problems!

Thanks Ken and Perry-

Ah the love of these forums. I thought I had a choice of two fuse boxes with negative ground, the Centech and the blue sea. I bought the Blue Sea because I like the construction. But now after looking at them all, I really like the touratech. It is compact, and I think I like the relay built in. I think this will fit quite easily on top of the airfilter, in front of the seat and below the tank.

I think the Blue Sea is going on ebay and I am going to grab one of those touratechs. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Also, Touratech says that you can turn it on with the key, I like the tail light better though.

George

ps. Mountainside NJ here. This is a new bike for me, bought is used and drove it home from San Antonio TX in November! Putting the GPS on, then some lights, then a headlight modulator, then some fancy tail lights.....

Before you put the Blue Sea up on Ebay you may want to think about the fact that the Touratech has only one fuse. It does have five terminals but only one fuse for all five. I believe I would prefer to have a standard automotive relay that would be easy to find if I had trouble on a trip.

Before you put the Blue Sea up on Ebay you may want to think about the fact that the Touratech has only one fuse. It does have five terminals but only one fuse for all five. I believe I would prefer to have a standard automotive relay that would be easy to find if I had trouble on a trip.

Excellent point. The Blue Sea will drive quite a bit of extra electric gear.

The "Add-A-Circuit" is a good product. One drawback is that when installed it raised the height of your fuse bank at that location... so you might have to cut out some of the rubber foam (on the lid of your fuse box). I believe the foam is there to keep the fuses from dislodging when you go over a bump.

Ed

Also, the BlueSea doesn't include battery leads and is rated for 100A total, 30A/circuit. With appropriate leads to the battery, you could run heated jacket or aux lights from one of the circuits. I don't know the rating of the Touratech box, but the battery leads don't look very large.

There may be yet another option. Check out

CycleGadgets

I found this Centech AP-1 Auxiliary fuse block today while I was rummaging around in the "New Items" section of CycleGadgets. While it doesn't have a built-in relay, it does have 5 blade fuses, 8 power feeds and ground blocks, and a 60 Amp capacity. It's pretty small, too. Can't tell from the photo or the description if it uses one (or more) feed line(s) to power the fuses, but it looks pretty interesting.

There may be yet another option. Check out

CycleGadgets

I found this Centech AP-1 Auxiliary fuse block today while I was rummaging around in the "New Items" section of CycleGadgets. While it doesn't have a built-in relay, it does have 5 blade fuses, 8 power feeds and ground blocks, and a 60 Amp capacity. It's pretty small, too. Can't tell from the photo or the description if it uses one (or more) feed line(s) to power the fuses, but it looks pretty interesting.

You mean THIS.

+1 Blue Sea. I have mine screwed to the top of the Air Box. The seat clears it in the mid and high notch.

Add-A Circuit off the Horn fuse to 30a Auto Relay from Radio Shack. Power from battery to Relay to 30a Noise Suppressor to Blue Sea. Circuits for: XM, AutoCom & MixIt, Kenwood, Warm n Safe Jacket, And power to relays for PIAA, & Hella lights. That leaves one open fuse.

I powered my GPS off a non-switched source, so I could turn off the bike while I figured out how lost I was.

Over the past week or so, as time would allow, I've been installing one of these in my 06 RT. I'll try to get some pics this weekend and post them here. I went with the 4 fuse panel because I am not (to date anyway) a heavy user of aux devices (I'll probably regret that) grin.gif. So far my only powered accessory is my gps.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/FB-4/fb-4.html

They work fine for a low power device such as a GPS, radar detector, etc. I have used them a bunch.

Wouldn't try to run lights or anything heating off of one, or lots of different things as you'll create a rats nest of wires. But for a one-off it will be just fine. Use simple solutions for simple problems!

I use one, and it works fine. I stuck it into the heated grip fuse, because it is switched power and it is not a mission-critical circuit, if something goes wrong.

The fuse block is probably a better idea, but there is nothing wrong with add-a-fuse. I have used mine for almost five years w/o a problem. I use it for the switch side of the relay for my motolights. The motolights are connected to the battery, but the low current side of the relay goes to the add-a-fuse.

Hey that tourtech thing looks like what I've been looking for thumbsup.gif will it work on my 04 RT? Seems pretty straight forward like it should work on anything.

wave.gif

Hey that tourtech thing looks like what I've been looking for thumbsup.gif will it work on my 04 RT? Seems pretty straight forward like it should work on anything.

wave.gif

I have it on my 04 RT with no problems.

You can do a number of things. When I asked about a switched fuse block, I was given many choices as well. Of course everything depends on what you plan on connecting to it. Using the Add-A-Circuit would be fine for smaller electronics that dont draw much current, and using the handgrip circuit would be a good idea. Someone else pointed out about it being raised will not allow the top of the fuse box to close without cutting it. Everything has its drawbacks.

I chose the Touratech unit because of the size, recommendation, quality, and price.

jerseygeorge - if you need help connecting that stuff, let me know. I have space in the garage for one more project thumbsup.gif

jerseygeorge - if you need help connecting that stuff, let me know. I have space in the garage for one more project

That sounds like the start of a tech daze to me grin.gifthumbsup.giflurker.gif

jerseygeorge - if you need help connecting that stuff, let me know. I have space in the garage for one more project

That sounds like the start of a tech daze to me grin.gifthumbsup.giflurker.gif

That sure would be nice, however I only have a 2 car garage with a very shitty (cracked / uneven) floor. But my driveway is big enough to hold a couple dozen bikes. The air compressor hose is 50 feet long tool box is full of tools, the fridge could be stocked at a moment's notice, the propane for the grill is full, the bag of charcoal for the 'real' grill is unopened. I'll have a tire balancer by Springtime to go along with my tire changer.

The only real problem is, I dont know much about the bike yet......

Perry-

I have been following your advice so far. Now would be a bad time to tell me that you don't know much more than me! I could not even remove my darn battery without help from this website.

I have plenty of room in the garage (finally got daughter and car off to college). It is just the cold. I ain't got any heat and the temps are really going down.

This week I have been suffering from rectal glaucoma (can't see my ass going to work). So I have had plenty of time to sort things out, and get supplies. Basically it is going to cost me about $300 dollars to mount a $500 GPS. At least I am learning a lot.

Definetely have to get together for some tech daze.

George

Perry-

I have been following your advice so far. Now would be a bad time to tell me that you don't know much more than me! I could not even remove my darn battery without help from this website.

I have plenty of room in the garage (finally got daughter and car off to college). It is just the cold. I ain't got any heat and the temps are really going down.

This week I have been suffering from rectal glaucoma (can't see my ass going to work). So I have had plenty of time to sort things out, and get supplies. Basically it is going to cost me about $300 dollars to mount a $500 GPS. At least I am learning a lot.

Definetely have to get together for some tech daze.

George

George -

I dont know as much as the guys who host the tech daze, but I could hold my own. I know enough to get me in trouble, and when I get into trouble, I look through the manual and come here smirk.gif

I have only had this bike since September, so I dont know the bike that well yet. However, I had my Kawasaki 3 months before I had to change the stator, and I didn't know much about that bike then. Here are a few pics of that fun job - had to pull the engine. Stator Replacement

I got so pissed off that the stator failed on me at 4600 miles, I bought the BMW.

BTW - I have a woodstove in my garage along with the laptop PC with the factory repair manual loaded in thumbsup.gif

Yep- I just cooked the foam on the top of the inside of my fuse box holder with a 10 amp in the top and 7 amp (normal fuse for the circuit) with one of these beauties.....

The fuse did it's job, but got a little warm. Don't think I would recommend it for much else than either a relay switch link or the low power devices (autocom/gps/radar detector etc). Dont think I would run a loud horn or driving lights from it again. Am installing the Blue Sea 6 circuit with common ground at the present time....Found a great place to mount it under the side cover for easy access...install came out pretty nice but I still have to wire it...

Looking good so far thumbsup.gif

BTW - I have a woodstove in my garage along with the laptop PC with the factory repair manual loaded in thumbsup.gif

Hmmm ... Jefferson is just a short drive up Rt. 15 from me. You can't be more than 15 or 20 minutes away. My garage is mighty cold now. I have a propane heater but I don't want to expire from CO!

Hmmm ... Jefferson is just a short drive up Rt. 15 from me. You can't be more than 15 or 20 minutes away. My garage is mighty cold now. I have a propane heater but I don't want to expire from CO!

Flanders is just around the corner. You could take the scenic route and go Newton/Sparta Road to Ridge Road. I am basically at the end of Ridge Road. I live on Cozy Lake Rd.

I'll be in Flanders tomorrow night. Were going to East Tokyo on Rt 206. Although that might be Stanhope.

BTW - I have a 'heat reclaimer' on the woodstove. It gets warm quick thumbsup.gif Sometimes I go out there, heat up the garage, and stare at the RT for a few hours.

This is the end result of the Blue Sea installation. I picked up extra room by mounting the diagnostic plug sideways. There are a lot of ways to get the extra power we need for farkles and goodies. I think I will be happy with the Blue Sea fuse box.

George

Blue_Sea_1.jpg

Archived