IGNORED

Ohlins on a 1200 RT

Kannon

My '05 RT has 28,000 miles on it and I'm ready for new shocks. I'm trying to justify the cost of Ohlins but have no experience with them as replacement shocks. The cost for the pair is about $1400. Before I spend that kind of money I would really like to hear from anyone using them on a 1200 RT. I ride very agressivly in rural mountain twistys and the I'm wondering what kind of improvement these shocks will make. I have also considered Wilbers, they are a bit less expensive, anyone have experience with them? Either way it's going to be well over $1,000, seems like a lot for springs and shocks, but if it's noticeable improvement over stock I'll do it. (fwiw - I don't have ESA.) Any information, experience or insight would be much appreciated before I make such a big investment.

Thanks,

Kannon

I just put Wilbers on my 05 RT two weeks ago with 18K miles on the bike. I have model 630/763 for the front and model 641/763 for the rear. The previous owner had less than 500 miles on them when he sold his 05 RT to get a GS/A. Both of us are aggressive riders and about the same weight so everything clicked right in. Right place right time for sure. After installation, Phil- 1bmwfan on the board, who is a former motocross racer dialed in the suspension for me. Along with the shock install I mounted 2 new tires as well. The bike handles so much better in the corners and over bumps. It is much more stable. So far after putting 400 miles on them they are great. The only adjustment I have made so far is turning the preload adjuster up 1/4 turn to account for the extra weight from my camping gear while on a trip last weekend. I was sweeping through turns on S2 in North San Diego Co. at warp speed last weekend with no shake, shimmy, or rattle or roll. A huge upside is the fact that the aftermarket shocks can be rebuilt. The stock ones cannot be rebuilt. Too bad yours are worn out. Had you purchased new shocks earlier you would have been able to put the OEM shocks back on the bike when you sell it or use the shocks on your new bike or sell them in the used market.

I switched to Ohlins on my 05 RT this summer, I didn't really have a lot of miles on my stockers, so the change I experienced are not as dramatic as they will be for you. That said, the difference is huge!!!!. No more wallowing, my RT no longer dives like a submarine during rapid upshifts. The bike is incredibly planted in turns, soaks up anything tossed in its way. The ride is firmer, but the quality of the ride is not harsh. I feel its money well spent, and since you are an aggresive rider I know you will appreciate the transformation. Sure the cost of admission is high, but the satisfaction realized is in my opinion worth every penny.

I am a funeral director by trade, so I say spend it while you can, you can't take it with you. We have never had a Brink's truck behind the hearse!!!!!

Good luck in your decision.

Fran

After installation, Phil- 1bmwfan on the board, who is a former motocross racer dialed in the suspension for me.

Former motocross???????????? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif Now that right there is funny!! Have you ever seen me in teh dirt, let alone DIRTY such as a motocross roder would be?

Let's think about this for a second, shall we!!

1. Phil is anal retentive CLEAN, therefore; dirt bikes are not his forte. Very fun, but not his strong suit by any means.

2. He owns a dirt bike (DRZ-400E) and is a self admitted snail on same.

3. He used to pro race FZR-600's from 89 to 92 (ARRA, WSMC, WERA).

4. Uh, weird as it may sound, I like going around corners with knee on ground at fast speeds. I am no fan of the jump 14 buildings in a single jump! eek.gifeek.gif

Other than that, go for the aftermarkets!!! By far, it will be the BEST money you will probably ever spend on your ride.

Farkles are great, suspension is heaven!! thumbsup.gif

OK. OK. I got the surfaces mixed up. Are you sure you really raced bikes Phil? Just kidding. Kannon, Phil definitely dialed in my suspension. Probably helped since I have the exact same shocks that he purchased. Bottom line is the bike handles a helluva lot better than it used to. I will agree with Fran that there is no more wallowing through corners or over bumps and it is much more planted in the turns. The new tires have made a big difference as well. I had Z6's on Ruby before tire replacement and they did not work.

OK, you have convinced me, I'll spend the money. Now, does anyone have suggestions on the best place to purchase Ohlins? I have gotten recomendations on two places but would like to find out about your experience with others. One suggestion was Mitch's Motorcycles in Torrence, CA. They have a web site "Ohlins for Less.com" The other is in TN, it's called Shy Racing Suspension. Anyone deal with either of these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

OK, you have convinced me, I'll spend the money. Now, does anyone have suggestions on the best place to purchase Ohlins? I have gotten recomendations on two places but would like to find out about your experience with others. One suggestion was Mitch's Motorcycles in Torrence, CA. They have a web site "Ohlins for Less.com" The other is in TN, it's called Shy Racing Suspension. Anyone deal with either of these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Kyle Racing did a fine job setting up my Ohlins. I had totally worn out stock shocks so the difference was huge. Here's a link

http://www.kyleusa.com/

Thanks again,

Kyle Racing did a fine job setting up my Ohlins. I had totally worn out stock shocks so the difference was huge. Here's a link

http://www.kyleusa.com/

+1

Archived