IGNORED

How far to clear gearbox from pushrod

DaveWL

I'm about to pull the gearbox from my '04RT and am concerned about bending the pushrod. How far "straight back" does the gearbox have to go before the pushrod clears the clutch area? Thanks.

Dave

I'm about to pull the gearbox from my '04RT and am concerned about bending the pushrod. How far "straight back" does the gearbox have to go before the pushrod clears the clutch area? Thanks.

Dave

If you remove the slave cylinder you can grasp the end of the pushrod with some grips and pull it out before separating the box from the engine, removing all risk.

To simplify gearbox removal/refitting you should make up some guide rods to replace two of the gearbox maounting bolts. Obtain 2 M8 x 110 mm long bolts. Cut off the hex heads and slot the end of the bolts. These will guide the box in and out - and would also protect the pushrod.

Andy

I just checked my files and corrected the bolt size to 110mm

Last night I removed the slave and tried to pull out the pushrod. It wouldn't budge, even with a substantial amount of effort. The reason I'm doing the teardown is because I have some sort of clutch problem which I'm investigating. I'm beginning to think that the pushrod has some damage. So, back to my original question, have far back does the gearbox have to be pulled before its clear and can be dropped to the floor. Thanks

Dave

I would guess about two inches. But do yourself a favor and make the guide pins. I've done it both ways and it's so easy to take it out and put it in with the pins. Without them it is a very clumsy process.

Archived