IGNORED

Bike Cover recommendations

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

I've looked all over this board for bike cover opinions.

I'd like a cover that is for occasional use, maybe 5 nights a year, that folds compact. I'd like it to protect the entire bike, ideally, but I realize a full cover means more space when I fold it up. That's the trade-off between a half cover and a full cover I guess.

I would also like to be able to put the cover on when I'm thru riding, rather than come back a hour or so later when it is cool. That's not as important of a priority though since I envision using the cover at a hotel and I can walk out several hours later to cover the bike. And I think the heat resistant nature of the cover means it occupies considerably more space when folded up.

IOW, I'm looking for maximum coverage and minimum storage. Heat resistance is a "Want" but is not a "Need."

So, I wonder, what are my options?

I've looked at the Traveler A (half cover, small footprint) and the Wanderer (full cover, about 10" long by 5" in diameter when folded) and both must be put on a cool bike.

I noticed a lot of folks here prefer the Traveller series of half covers. Nice and compact. But only covers the top of the bike. Why would a bike owner only cover half of his most important (2-wheeled) possession? Is it just a matter of having a small pouch to carry around?

I also looked at Nelson Rigg and may look at JC Whitney.

Should I consider others?

Thanks in advance -- for this superb collection of experts and opinions.

Jerry Johnston
Why would a bike owner only cover half of his most important (2-wheeled) possession? Is it just a matter of having a small pouch to carry around?

It keeps others from messing with your bike and covers the important parts gauges, switch and seats from rain.

daveinatlanta

I forgot to mention - when I think I'd use the cover, I'd also put my BMW top case on. That would affect the fitting of a cover. Of course I may or may not take the top case and the system saddle bags into the hotel too. It would just depend on what's in them, and how tired I am.

.... Why would a bike owner only cover half of his most important (2-wheeled) possession? ....

The Traveler half cover **CAN** be put on a hot bike without risk of damage to the cover or the bike. I do it every day. It never comes in contact with the hot parts.

Ok, you want a cover that stores very small, prefer that it cover the whole bike, goes over bags and top case and can be put over a hot bike?

I haven't seen a product that does that.

Paraphrasing an old product development (software, etc.) saying ... " you want it fast, good and cheap? - sorry, pick only two". grin.gif

daveinatlanta
I put the cover over the hot bike. I did not know that it would be a problem.

Perhaps this is because the side cases keep the cover from touching the hot exhaust.....

But this is a great recommendation - and about what I had in mind for my occasional application. Thanks.

I have a Guardian cover which I really like. It packs small and covers everything except the wheels even when the top case is on. It also dries quickly.

D

Nelson Rigg.. thumbsup.gif..It's perfect

I agree! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I prefer the UV-2000 half-cover (I think that is the model) in XL.

I've been following this thread since it started and have been checking out each of the recommendations. The UV-2000 seems perfect for what I'm looking for and it's only $40 including shipping on the Nelson-Rigg website. My order is in. clap.gif

I have a n 04RT and I purchased a Geza cover. It is a half cover that works great. Can be kept on bike when towing. It is a little pricey but very compact and dries quickly. Check it out at www.gezagear.com

ditto and everything he said on the geza.

I have a Dowco cover, Guardian model I believe that I use when travelling. It has a heat resistant bottom that can go on a hot bike and covers everything even with the side and top cases on. It packs up fairly small, about 16"-18" long, 6"-8" diameter, if I am travelling lightly I ususally store it inside the top case. If the top case is full I'll strap it to the passenger seat and a couple of times I've used a spider web bungee and lashed it to the top of the top case. I use it to keep prying eyes from seeing the bike and to keep it out of the weather. I use the same style cover on my wife's bike and she has some pretty long exposed exhaust pipes and we've never had any melting problems. The very bottom is colored gray and almost feels like a cloth material instead of nylon. I would think any normal bike shop would carry these. I got mine at a BMW shop the the wife's came from a Honda dealer. They run about $70-$80 if I remember correctly.

I have used a half cover for over 10 years that packs really small when I travel. The name has worn off the bag and I was too lazy and cold to unpack it. It was bought for a large touring bike and covers the top box, side cases and comes down just below the seat with 2 bungie clips that hold it on in the middle to the pegs. Keeps people and rain off even in the worst storms. Much nicer to pack than a full cover which I also have used for the garage. If space isn't an issue I am sure a full cover might give more protection. I seem to always be looking for space in my bags. dopeslap.gif

It appears to be a Nelson Rigg UV-2000 in size XL.

Nice cover. For posterity's sake, I'll mention that I tried both XL and Large on my R-RS, and I felt the Large worked better. It's pretty tight around my side cases, and it wouldn't handle a top box or larger windshield. For an RT, you definitely want the XL.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I use http://www.eztouring.com/wanderer.htm .

It meets all of your requirements including the hot bike. I was skeptical about the hot pipes melting the material but it has never happened even when I used it on an R100RT where the mufflers were more exposed and really hot after shutting down. Also, great service and stand behind there product 100 % for tears or anything else.

I use the EZ Tour Wanderer. It packs small and covers most of the bike. I have used the BMW K11LT cover on a couple hotel trips but, it takes up a lot of room packed. The K cover extends over the Givi trunk and over-sized lids on a R1100RT.

Pic of BMW cover attached

818856-Motomancover02.jpg.c6a1d8b88dde036731505b23d29b3941.jpg

Archived