IGNORED

To Ceramic Coat or Not - that is the Poll

E30TECH

What to do with exhaust headers   

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I am so anal, I polished my headers to a mirror like shine - something I will not do again as it is a PITFA.

I bought a Fenda Extenda to help keep the pipes clean, but I'm finding (thru posts here) that the lower headers will soon turn brown. I dont mind the blue, and wish they would turn blue.

So I'd like to do a stupid poll to see what other think. Sometimes I have to step back to see how anal I am.

If you're gonna do it, do it now so you get them back in time for the next blast of warm air... Personally, I don't mind the brown look (says the guy with blue pipes) but if it bugs you enough to want to spend the cash, do it.

Then take the Zoloft. smile.gif

Performance Coatings all the way fellow AR type!!!!

Phil-

Awesome pictures. Who makes that cover on the cylinder head? I have not been able to locate that one! Thanks.

Who makes that cover on the cylinder head? I have not been able to locate that one! Thanks.

BMW part. IIRC, they were around $100 for the pair.

If I were to do it again, I would not get these covers as they, from reports NOT experience, really don't do anything in the event of a spill. They are essentially a piece of plastic.

Who makes that cover on the cylinder head? I have not been able to locate that one! Thanks.

BMW part. IIRC, they were around $100 for the pair.

If I were to do it again, I would not get these covers as they, from reports NOT experience, really don't do anything in the event of a spill. They are essentially a piece of plastic.

There are better ones out there. I'd look at these and the aluminum BMW ones.

I have the same head covers on my RT. Embarassed to say I have managed to flop my bike over at a stop on both sides . . don't ask and no, not on the same day. The plastic got a little scuffed up but the heads didn't get a scratch. dopeslap.giftongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the end result of cleaning my header pipes. I also bought a Fenda Extenda to help keep the crap off pipes.

Even though it wont last, I think it looks pretty good. Since it was 10 degrees outside before factoring in the wind chill, I had to take these pictures inside.

Before:

LFC.jpg

After:

Lpipe.jpg

fenda.jpg

Dude, I would just do it......If you don't, I would be willing to put money on it that you can't go a year without polishing them again. You will never be able to keep the pipes clean. You're a fit and finish guy (not meant to be an insult). My brother in law is the same way. He spends hours polishing weird things that I would never even consider cleaning. Hell, his lawn tractor has been washed and waxed more times in the past 2 years than all of my vehicles combined (my truck, RT, and both E30s).

Send them out now to get coated, so you'll have them back for the riding season.

If you do send them off post some pics and go throuh a step by step for us newbies on how to remove them and re-install them for the simple minded folk. Although I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, I would still need some hand holding to do that job on my RT

Dude, I would just do it......If you don't, I would be willing to put money on it that you can't go a year without polishing them again.

If you are willing to bet the amount it would cost to coat them, then your on thumbsup.gif

I sold the Vulcan today...... smirk.gif

Waylap -

It looks like an easy job to remove the pipes. Since I didn't have new gaskets on hand, I didn't remove them.

The main reason for not coating the pipes was the shipping cost. It would have costed more to ship than to have them coated.

If you are willing to bet the amount it would cost to coat them, then your on thumbsup.gif

Congrats on getting rid of the old scooter. Its a great feeling to finally sell a bike you no longer ride. It took me over a year to finally sell my GSXR1100 after I bought my RT. It was an even better feeling when I used the cash to pay off the RT.

I forgot to mention.....I'm not a betting man. I prefer to just sit back, wait, and then bust your balls about polishing the pipes in 6 months when you start bitching about them turning brown. By the way, the polishing job looks absolutely amazing.

Congrats on getting rid of the old scooter. Its a great feeling to finally sell a bike you no longer ride. It took me over a year to finally sell my GSXR1100 after I bought my RT. It was an even better feeling when I used the cash to pay off the RT.

I forgot to mention.....I'm not a betting man. I prefer to just sit back, wait, and then bust your balls about polishing the pipes in 6 months when you start bitching about them turning brown. By the way, the polishing job looks absolutely amazing.

Thanks. I sold the M3 and paid the RT in cash. I banked the rest.

The pictures I took absolutely suck. I'd like to bring the RT outside to take a better pic, but there is too much ice outside and its too damn cold anyhow (about 10F here before the wind).

I was thinking about taking a ride out to Shanksville, PA this Spring/Summer to have a look at the Flight 93 Memorial. Have you have been?

I was thinking about taking a ride out to Shanksville, PA this Spring/Summer to have a look at the Flight 93 Memorial. Have you have been?

Nope, but you can stop by and pick me up on the way. I would be interested in riding out and taking a look. Shanksville is right off of Rt. 30 in western, PA. Also, Rt. 30 is a nice drive once you get west of York, PA.......which is conveniently were I live. York and east on Rt. 30 is an ugly congested mess.

I was thinking about taking a ride out to Shanksville, PA this Spring/Summer to have a look at the Flight 93 Memorial. Have you ever been?

Nope, but you can stop by and pick me up on the way. I would be interested in riding out and taking a look. Shanksville is right off of Rt. 30 in western, PA. Also, Rt. 30 is a nice drive once you get west of York, PA.......which is conveniently were I live. York and east on Rt. 30 is an ugly congested mess.

I meant to say have you ever been. I dont mind stopping by to pick you up as long as you dont mind riding with a newbie.

I have the GPS and bike to bike.

That would make for the longest ride I've been on though. I've been out to York before - but only via Rt78, Rt222, and some other highways.

Archived