Another dumb sattelite radio question

mrduck

I want to wire the power directly in and not use the big plug(cigarette lighter style)BUT the power goes from 9-14v in to 5.2 out.So somewhere in the plug the voltage is getting reduced. eek.gif

So now what??

There is a voltage reducer thingy in the plug.

I’m too cheap to buy any kind of adapter. So…

I cracked open the plug, clipped the wires off the terminal ends, soldered on a new length of wire, fed that through the end of the plug where the terminal end was, snapped the plug back together and taped it up real good, then ran the new length to the aux fuse block I had installed. Works like a champ and didn’t cost me a dime. BTW I have the XM SkyFi

Pull the plug apart, get a job box from Radio Shack, solder your power connections in, close up the job box with the power transformer in, and voila!!

Done.

That's what I did for my XM Radio hook up on the ST. Hid the job box under the fairing and wired direct into the switched power lead. thumbsup.gif

Pull the plug apart, get a job box from Radio Shack, solder your power connections in, close up the job box with the power transformer in, and voila!!

Done.

That's what I did for my XM Radio hook up on the ST. Hid the job box under the fairing and wired direct into the switched power lead. thumbsup.gif

Wel, sure you could do that. But a job box cost, what? A $1.59. OUCH!

I used to have a Roady2 in my Roadster. The transformer was in the cigarette plug. It stepped it down to 5 volts.

I bought a cigarette lighter socket from Radio Shack for about $5. I wired that to a switched power source, then I plugged the Roady2 into that socket. I duct taped the plug and socket together and put it near the battery. It worked well for me.

I picked up a wiring harness that included everything needed to adapter the XM Roady 2 to my bike. I paid something like $9.99 for it. I believe I found it on XMstore.com. Works great. It's hard wired to my 02 RT

Well thanks to all! Now I'm no electrcian but I do work with some very good ones. I've popped the plug apart and will have the leads installed shortly. thumbsup.gif

Ya gotta love this site wave.gif

I've done that for several friends. Pull the cigarette lighter adapter apart (Roady2) and remove the circuit board. Solder on some wires to feed it 12V (switched only as this adapter WILL drain your battery) and then slip the circuit board in a piece of heat-shrink tubing. Once you shrink it, it will mount just about anywhere and it's pretty waterproof.

Mick

I've done that for several friends. Pull the cigarette lighter adapter apart (Roady2) and remove the circuit board. Solder on some wires to feed it 12V (switched only as this adapter WILL drain your battery) and then slip the circuit board in a piece of heat-shrink tubing. Once you shrink it, it will mount just about anywhere and it's pretty waterproof.

Mick

Wow, heat shrink around the cb, that beats the way I just wrapped the plug in tape. I'll have to add this to my "To Do" list. Thnx thumbsup.gif

This will be my next project if I ever get the brakes fixed and have any money left. Anyway, I have 2 old Delphi SkyFi XM units, one I sometimes use on my F650CS, and would like to set up the R1150RT-P to be able to use it too. The 1150 has speakers but no stereo, and I don't want to buy a whole stereo system for it just to use as an amp. I really just need a 2-channel 12V amplifier with a volume control that will accept the XM signal and drive the speakers at an appropriate level. I was considering taking the parts from a $39 "Sonic Impact 5066 T-Amp" and try to mount it somewhere in the fairing so I could access the volume control. But this amp only outputs 15W, and I'm not sure if that's powerful enough, as the SkyFi output signal is quite weak. How many output watts does the BMW stereo (or others people are using) put out?

I bought a cigarette lighter socket from Radio Shack for about $5. I wired that to a switched power source, then I plugged the Roady2 into that socket. I duct taped the plug and socket together and put it near the battery. It worked well for me.

Me too thumbsup.gif

Archived