IGNORED

Mod edit: Synthetic oil in the final drive BMW of NA response

Bob Atkinson

I called BMW of North America today. I asked the big question. What oil should I use in my 04 R11150RT final drive, 90wt GL 5 or 75/140 synthetic BMW brand. After being put on hold for a short time, I was told to use "90wt GL 5 per the BMW technical manual above 41 degrees. 80 wt below 41 Degrees.

I lost my final drive on my 99 RT at 63,000 miles, and yes I always used BMW 75/140 per my dealers recommendation!

I use 75/140 in my 04. I personally know many RT owner use

the 75/140 and some have lost thier final drives. ( a BMW week Link I think)

My plan is switch to the 90 wt GL 5 at my next service and change it every 6000 miles. crazy.gif

moderator edit:

Bob, I thought this would be better as its own topic. Andy

What if you routinely travel in temps both above and below 41 F? (as no doubt many of us do this time of year.) I assume that (non-synthetic) 80W-90 is OK?

I called BMW of North America today. I asked the big question. What oil should I use in my 04 R11150RT final drive, 90wt GL 5 or 75/140 synthetic BMW brand. After being put on hold for a short time, I was told to use "90wt GL 5 per the BMW technical manual above 41 degrees. 80 wt below 41 Degrees.

I lost my final drive on my 99 RT at 63,000 miles, and yes I always used BMW 75/140 per my dealers recommendation!

I use 75/140 in my 04. I personally know many RT owner use

the 75/140 and some have lost thier final drives. ( a BMW week Link I think)

My plan is switch to the 90 wt GL 5 at my next service and change it every 6000 miles. crazy.gif

moderator edit:

Bob, I thought this would be better as its own topic. Andy

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearl...mp;categoryID=6

The person on the phone at BMW didn't say that, did they?
No, they didn't. But absent any logical reason I'm hesitant to let the comments of 'the person on the phone' override all other judgement and experience.

Read you owners manual, Haynes oil head manual and the guy on the phone all tell the same story. 80 90wt for all conditions, 80 under 41 and 90 above 41.

This debate could go on forever,just like the plug a flat tire debate etc.

Normally if I'm happy with the results I get from my own investigations and experiences into what ever the question(s) may be,I stick to it and can only express to others what works and doesn't work for me.

Like they say..."what ever floats yur boat"!!!

Read you owners manual, Haynes oil head manual and the guy on the phone all tell the same story. 80 90wt for all conditions, 80 under 41 and 90 above 41.

No offense Bob,I own a Haynes manual or two,but really wouldn't put much stock in them. Lot's of questionable figures/specifications posted etc. I do like some of the photo's, but nuttin' ain't better than good ol' fashioned "Factory manual".

Oh and by the way,I passed through Bellingham Wa. Great town!

Archived