IGNORED

Loose windscreen assembly

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Is this one for the books? Checking out the bike today I noticed the windscreen assembly, not just the windscreen appears to be loose...This is a Cee Bailey screen mounted on my R12RT!

Did I somehow damage it on my hi speed romp across the deserts last weekend? There is a def. looseness to the entire assembly, but I do not see a broken bracket, etc...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Make sure the support arms are not broken. Raise the windshield to the highest position and here the support arms will be fully extended, make sure these arms have not snapped but still appear conceted.

Steve,

I'm interested to see what kind of replies you get. I also have a CB screen, + 1 H and + 3 W. In traffic, especially around large vehicles like trucks, I get considerable for and aft movement of the screen from the positive/negative presure. I too was wondering if the larger or non-stock design is causing damage? Just thought I'd chime-in with a similar concern.

AdventurePoser
Make sure the support arms are not broken. Raise the windshield to the highest position and here the support arms will be fully extended, make sure these arms have not snapped but still appear conceted.

Thanks, I'll examine them carefully for cracks or other damage. I would hope the brackets are strong enough to support the Cee Bailey windscreen...

Steve

There were several reports a few months back of broken support arms. All from my recollection were from people who had installed aftermarket windscreens. However, I do remember that one of the members had designed a replacement arm made of a stronger material. You might want to check the archives.

It depends on how much "safety factor" BMW engineers built into the design of the brackets. A much larger screen (assuming it isn't more aerodynamic than the factory screen) is going to load the support brackets much more than the stock screen.

Thanks, I'll examine them carefully for cracks or other damage. I would hope the brackets are strong enough to support the Cee Bailey windscreen...

Steve

Steve -

there is a bit of slop in the windscreen design. But it shouldn't be rattling around. Best way to tell is to raise the screen just a bit and flex it at the top and sides. there should be some movement but it should feel controlled.

There have been a lot of reports of broken support arms but usually with the larger CB screens - like +4 tall, +3 wide or more. I had a CB - stock height, plus 2 wide on my RT and never had any problems.

Steve

I have had both of my swing arms break on my RT. The left side broke back in August and the right side just broke about 3 weeks ago. I have a C.B. +1H, +2W screen. Both swing arms were replaced under warranty. I investigated having new ones made but my guy could not make the part with his equipment. He mentioned that the BMW part was made with cheap pot metal.

It appears that most if not all who have had the arms break had aftermarket windshields fitted. It has been suggested that the arms are designed to be break away parts for safety reasons and hence their strength is delibrately limited. I am not sure if that is true or not but it seems clear that whether deliberate or not they are not all that robust. Maybe if enough of them break BMW will redesign the part.

AdventurePoser
It appears that most if not all who have had the arms break had aftermarket windshields fitted. It has been suggested that the arms are designed to be break away parts for safety reasons and hence their strength is delibrately limited. I am not sure if that is true or not but it seems clear that whether deliberate or not they are not all that robust. Maybe if enough of them break BMW will redesign the part.

Aaargh....my RT with came with a Cee Bailey +4 (I think) I wasn't able to find any cracks or breaks, but the entire assembly is DEF. looser than it was when I bought the bike 1200 miles ago...

Maybe I need to try a stock screen...

Steve

Brown's is a CB dealer and has demo screens. Try a smaller size before you go back to the stock screen. The flip on the CB moves the air up quite a bit so you may get by with a +0, +2 like I did.

You may also want to contact Cee Bailey and ask if they would be willing to cut your screen down a bit. They took 1.5" off my screen and charged me only for shipping even though I had bought the screen used.

That is a good suggestion Schupo. I never thought of having them cut the taller screen down. Steve, C.B. is local so you could run it over to them. They may be able to do it while you wait. You can always ask.

Archived