IGNORED

Diagnostic Help, Please

OlGeezer

Great find!

Congrates on getting it solved.

I have seen the zip tie phenomenon on so many fabricated systems of all stripes, not just electrical. Had a service call once on a piece of equipment that was operated with pneumatic controls.

All it was was a zip tie closing a pneumatic line.

That cost a company $2,000.00 for me to find. It was hard not to laugh. lmao.gif

I agree check em, loosen em.

Good find. Did you replace the switch and/or only repair the bad wiring? If replacing the switch, I think it can be done without removing the top steering yoke. If you just go for the "electrical part" of the switch. Just take out the tiny set screw and the electrical part falls out the bottom.

Cheers

Steve clap.gif

Good find. Did you replace the switch and/or only repair the bad wiring? If replacing the switch, I think it can be done without removing the top steering yoke. If you just go for the "electrical part" of the switch. Just take out the tiny set screw and the electrical part falls out the bottom.

Cheers

Steve clap.gif

Now you tell me

ooo.gif

On the times when it died, did the RID stay lit up? With the sidestand down (or a failed sidestand switch), the bike acts like the ignition is off, i.e. no fuel gauge or oil temp on the RID. Likewise, the starter won't turn it over with the sidestand down. If the oil temp was still displayed on the RID and it would turn over but not start, I'd look elsewhere for the problem. BTW, BMW auto part 61-12-1-459-998 is a jumpered plug which fits the connector to the sidestand switch on the harness. Small, easy to carry and allows one to easily rule out the sidestand switch when diagnosing a dead bike.

O.K. I've got the part. I was able to order it through the m/c shop.

How do I install it? Looking at my manual, if I'm looking at it correctly, the connection (just above the accessory jacks) is different than the connector. Is that P/N for 1100s or am I looking at the wrong connector?

Thanks.

Archived