IGNORED

Riding to the Edge

Boffin

Edgehill to be exact.

Steve1962 and I met up for another ride today, making use of the winters sunshine. We intended to meet at Moreton-in-Marsh at 10AM then ride up to Edgehill, site of the first battle of the English Civil war. From there we were going to explore the Avon Dasset hills and some of the villages to the east of the area.

The fist stage went to plan, I rolled into Moreton-in-Marsh at 10:02 by the RT's clock to see Steve waiting for me (as usual). We quickly checked the map to confirm the route and set off for Edgehill, which is about 6 miles to the northeast.

We followed the Fosse Way north untill it meets the A422 to the north of Halford. Here we turned right and followed the A422 across the Warwickshire lower lias clay plains towards the middle lias jurrasic limestone escarpment that rises steeply from the plain. The road climbs the steep face through a series of switchbacks and we rode north to the village of Edgehill, named for the escarpment. We parked up close to the Castle Inn, pub/hotel. Built as a folly in the 16th century on the site where King Charles I raised his standard before the battle.

Here we took a few photgraphs:

The room rate is typical for a country hotel:

PICT1839.jpg

But the building and views are far from typical:

PICT1836.jpg

PICT1837.jpg

PICT1838.jpg

PICT1841.jpg

PICT1840.jpg

PICT1846.jpg

A living arch:

PICT1847.jpg

Radway house

PICT1845.jpg

We planned to ride down onto the plain agin, to the site of the fighting but on return to the bikes we discovered Steve's had a puncture. After an abortive attemp to plug the tyre we followed the Royalist lead and made a tactical withdrawal, calling for BMW Roadside assistance to ship Steve home.

PICT1848.jpg

PICT1849.jpg

PICT1850.jpg

PICT1851.jpg

And so to home.

For those of you interested in such things this website has a good account of the battle.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Excellent pics Andy, you guys obviously are missing the sleet we seem to be getting north of the border!

As for the bike!, I always carry a tin of 'get you home punture repair'. The car size one is better as I too have never managed to plug a tyre with any success.

At least you had time to compose and reflect on your shots! wink.gif

It's at this point you realise that the BMW supplied toolkit doesn't include a torx bit for rear wheel removal! eek.gif

I'll chime in with my version ..........

firstly a few photos on the way to meet Andy at Moreton ........

124501863-M.jpg

124502132-M.jpg

124501982-M.jpg

124502154-M.jpg

124502172-M.jpg

Chipping Norton Mill , now converted into luxury apartments..

124502195-M.jpg

Moreton ..........

124502406-M.jpg

124502479-M.jpg

124502515-M.jpg

124502289-M.jpg

Andy arriving ............

124502692-M.jpg

Edgehill ......the Castle pub .........

124502722-M.jpg

The Panzer feeling flat ...........

124502903-M.jpg

Compressor attached ...........

124502965-M.jpg

No joy , so onto the recovery truck .........

124503172-M.jpg

Ask Andy about the local chap he had an enlightening conversation with !!

Andy ,

Thanks again for all your help trying to fix the puuncture .

Steve

Thanks for the pix......I can't get enough of far away places and great pix.

BTW...Nothing I hate more than seein a BMW with a flat......I can feel the loss in potential.

Have a great afternoon/evening.

Whip

Ask Andy about the local chap he had an enlightening conversation with !!

Yes, it took me 45 minutes to get away from this person. I try to be polite but he pushed me to the edge. I did remain polite - but 45 minutes of mindless verbage interspersed with extreme bigotry was hard to deal with. In retrospect I should have just put on my gear and ridden off.

I must try and find a UK supplier for Stop'n'go or Dynaplug = the BMW plug kit takes too much effort.

Andy

Francois_Dumas

Great pictures, wonderful web site (thanks Andy) and BUMMER on that puncture.

Reading the problems I am now NOT going to bother with that weird looking little repair set should it ever happen to me crazy.gif

One good reason for riding together.. things like these are worse when on your own.. if only the waiting for help.... OR hearing out blabbering recovery staff..... lmao.gif

Having Andy there was a definite bonus ...for starters , it was he who noticed the puncture just I was about to get on the bike and ride .

And then the help with trying to fix it , getting the BMW Assist phone number , and helping put the bike on the recovery truck ......and what did he get in return .......... 45 minutes torture talking to a " very strange " man .

I 'll be buying him a pint thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Steve

The front tyre looked low because the bike had been strapped down , compressing the the front wheel in order to keep the bike in place . The straps were fixed on the forks just above the front wheel , away from suspension etc .

The guy with the recovery truck knew what he was doing , he was telling me on the way home that he used to ride off road quite a bit .

The trip home was another nice trip , we went down country lanes I never knew about , and didn't use a main road until less than eight miles from my place .

When we got there , I had to reverse the bike off the ramp , but having watched Andy put the bike on , I managed it without bother - then I put the bike in first gear , and walked it up the drive and into the shed - it's bloody hard to push that bike , fully laden with fuel , with a flat back tyre - so using the engine is much better .

Steve

I must try and find a UK supplier for Stop'n'go or Dynaplug = the BMW plug kit takes too much effort.

Andy

Again, great pics there Steve and Andy, sorry your day was cut short, all in all another adventure though thumbsup.gif

Andy, found a bit of supplier for STOP'N'GO in the UK.

Maybe a case of a bulk buy from the States for the Dyna Plug system??

Steve, when are you and Jeanette off to Florida again??

lmao.giflmao.gif

George,

Thanks for the link - we are off to the South of France this year , but not camping [ Jeanette insists ] .

Steve

Great 'Tale and pics yet again, gents!! clap.gif

Hey, Andy--how many Civil Wars has England had? Leslie and I just finished watching the Cadfael mystery series (available here on DVD with Derek Jacobi--MOST excellent!! cool.gif ), and it was set during the time of "the Civil War" which was 12th century (King Steven and Empress Maude). Coincidentally they were in Shrewsbury as well!

I'll barge in here with some info ... http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/

Andy knows far more about British history than I do , in particular the middle ages period [ I reckon I know how he can relate to that period ]

This obviously does not include the sometimes uncivil wars that take place at my house betwix me and the kids grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Steve

There, fixed the link for the whippersnapper.

The period of the late 11th and early 12th centuries, in which Cadfael is set, was one of significant turmoil. William the Conqueror had taken the throne in 1066 after a bout of mass illegal immigration and the Normans were still trying to stamp their authority on the country. Britain was far from a United Kingdom at that point and the king only ruled whilst his Barons let him. Wales, Northern England (Northumbria) and Scotland were divided into smaller kingdoms. Internecine rivalries lead to many small bloody disputes between the barons, who had absolute power over their domains. There was no standing army and apart from a small guard the barons only raised troops when needed. The scenes showing dozens of soldiers in Robin Hood and the like are, as usual in movies, less than accurate.

Cadfael is one of the few series that attempts to give historical accuracy to period drama. Sheila and I always enjoy watching it.

Later came the War of the Roses, which was in effect a seiries of civil wars. A war of succession between rival houses with a claim to the English throne, both having decended from Edward III. Fought over thirty years in the late 15th century between the houses of York (Plantagenets) and Lancaster (Tudors) the decisive battle, and usually attributed as the last battle, of the War of the Roses being fought in sight of my house at Bosworth Field. It was at this battle that the much maligned King Richard III (who was not a hunchback - remember Shakespear had to live under the patronage of the Tudors) lost his life, the last British monarch to die on the field of battle.

Several small battles followed over the following years as Yorkist pretenders unsuccesfully tried to recapture the throne.

And Steve, I did not witness the Battle of Bosworth from my bedroom window.

The period of the English Civil war, in the mid 17th century was spread over three main 'wars' with a smaller fourth war just prior to the restoration.

Andy

And Steve, I did not witness the Battle of Bosworth from my bedroom window.

www.bgfl.org

......... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Too busy fettling with a Guzzi were ya ?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Saving up to get a new back tyre , I don't think it's worth trying to repair .

Steve

The period of the English Civil war, in the mid 17th century was spread over three main 'wars' with a smaller fourth war just prior to the restoration.

Are you not including the "bloodless revolution?" If not exactly a civil war, certainly a conflict over succession that was related to the 'wars' of earlier in the same century.

--sam

Are you not including the "bloodless revolution?" If not exactly a civil war, certainly a conflict over succession that was related to the 'wars' of earlier in the same century.

--sam

A very important point in the development of democracy. When the dutch 'invaded' and James II fled the throne parliament took advantage of the situation to strengthen its powers. William of Orange and Mary were offered the crown on Parliaments terms - including outlawing Catholic monarchs. The prime document was the Bill of Rights, one of the mainstays of the justice and parliamentary systems of most of the worlds democracies - it was one of the documents used as the base for the US constitution.

The 'Bloodless Revolution', sometimes called the 'Glorious Revolution' was not entirely bloodless of course, with a number of bloody skirmishes with the Jacobite Scots. Other than that, it was not really what you would call a civil war.

Andy

Francois_Dumas

--sam

When the dutch 'invaded' and James II fled the throne parliament took advantage of the situation to strengthen its powers. William of Orange and Mary were offered the crown on Parliaments terms - including outlawing Catholic monarchs.

And before Steve comes in here with his wise cracks again, let me assure you that I had NOTHING to do with that !!!! smirk.gifsmirk.gif

When the dutch 'invaded' and James II fled the throne parliament took advantage of the situation to strengthen its powers. William of Orange and Mary were offered the crown on Parliaments terms - including outlawing Catholic monarchs.

And before Steve comes in here with his wise cracks again, let me assure you that I had NOTHING to do with that !!!! smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Francois ,

Would I .............. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Steve

Archived