IGNORED

Poor Purchase decisions

GordonB

Having completed two seasons of riding I evaluated money poorly spent.

EarMolds custom ear plugs: They loosen up while riding

Battery Tender: Not necessary

Airman tire inflator: Lost more air than they inflated

MityVac: It sucked (but was'nt that the point) Speed Bleeders seem to be better

HJC helmet: replaced by Shoei (but no regrets on HJC)

And that's it! Not to bad for a beginner

What were your poor decisions?

Trading 05 RT for 05 LT then buying 06 GT then 06 GS and finally 04GT.

Finally traded 04GT and 05 LT in on 07 RT.

Schuberth C-2

Too much BMW riding gear.

Trading 05 RT for 05 LT then buying 06 GT then 06 GS and finally 04GT.

Finally traded 04GT and 05 LT in on 07 RT.

Are you on a first name basis with the clerks down at the DMV?

grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
airhawk- bought an alaskan sheepskin, much better

autocom- been sitting in a box for a year now

Ha. Bought an Airhawk, rode it for a season and then figured out how to get my Corbin properly adjusted (took the jacks out from under the front mount). Airhawk has sat unused in the basement since then.

What didn't you like about the k1200gt? Are you now happy with the new r1200rt? Is it better than the 05 1200rt in any way? I know the brakes are new, can you feel a huge difference? Out of all the bikes you've had what did you like and not like about each one?

STOPNGO, Firstgear air mesh jacket and pants. An XXX large Gerbings one piece suit. That suit was sorta like an electic tent. Leon 05RT

Autocom. I have never been able to get it dialed in no matter how much I have reconfigured and reinstalled it. It seems I am always fighting with it.

Cheers!

confused.gif

Motorcyle on E-bay (not as advertised).

Pair of gloves that felt good in the store, but not after a few minutes of riding.

K-Mart stock right before they went bankrupt.

Jay

AdventurePoser

Heavy winter gloves

First generation of Joe Rocket jacket

Sargent seat for R1150RT

Not too bad, but I have sold and/or given away tons of stuff...

Cheers,

Steve

I've been lucky or cheap but so far so good. Fernando was a big help over at Browns for steering me into some gear that would suit me and fit into my budget.

I'm happy with what I've got it has served me well. grin.gif

Thanks Fernando thumbsup.gif

Wow I have been sitting here going over just motorcycle related purchases in the past year and for the life of me I can't find one thing that hasn't suited my needs / wants ideally! clap.gif and I bought quite a few things.

2 jackets summer/ winter

2 pants summer/ winter

1 boots

1 gloves

2 wind screens summer/ winter

sat radio

oh yeah and the bike!

Now if only the rest of the things in my life went so well... lmao.gif

Ducati ST4

H-D Road King

Beaded seat cover

Nady MRC-11 B2B communicators

BMR Shelf

A couple of V-Strom windshields

Enron (just kidding)

$35 Roadgear magnetic map holder (But the RT tank is not metal). dopeslap.gif

All the gear I bought for my wife who doesn't ride anymore because of the kids. frown.gif

Thanks to this site, I have made much better decisions than I would have. I did purchase a Corbin seat that I later sold. Motorcycle clothing for my wife that she never wears. She doesn't like to ridefrown.giffrown.gif

Probably about 1/2 the pairs of gloves I've ever purchased over the internet 'cause they don't fit properly - even the same size from the same mfg eek.gifgrin.gif

On the flip side how about the poor decisions made not to purchase:

$110 was steep for cyl head protectors, until I dropped the RT one week later dopeslap.gif.

$400 seemed too much for a 2 day RT rental in Milan to tour the Dolomites while my 4(count 'em) ladies shopped for leather in Florence. Now I don't know when Ill be back! bncry.gif

A pair of proper riding boots when I thought the tan c'boy boots I got could double for use at Stampede - now they are now all gritty and shifter blackened. frown.gif

What's your sad "Not Purchased" story?

What were your poor decisions?
I can't say the thousands I've spent on gear and accessories were ever poor decisions. More like experiements trying to find a better widget. Many items I have "tried" I could not find reviews, they were too new on the market. Some turned out to be great items, others a waste of money.

Poor decision made, waiting as long as I did before picking up riding again. dopeslap.gif But, there was a reason for that to. grin.gif

I only kept it for 800 miles. The seating position fo my 6-6 bod was very cramped. The pegs were to high and to far back for me and the seat made my 05 RT,s feel lovely.

The transmission was horribly clunky and shifted poorly.

The wind protection was not good either.

The only remedy that I tried was the peg kit but it messed up the peg/ shifter-brake pedal relationship.

Also, the engine vibes really bothered me.

Power is fine if not a little bit of an overkill for me. Hit 145mph ( on a closed circuit of course) on the way to trade it in. That done I new that that kind of speed, while fun once, is not necessary for me. The RT's 135 by GPS is enough.

The GT's handling was very good and a joy to use but so is my RT, again, for me..

The 07 brakes (no servo) are very nice and I enjoy the feel when coming to a stop and ease off the brake pressure. The servo brakes were a little touchy there but other than that the servos never bothered me at all. To me there is not enough difference between the braking system that I would be put off from buying either.. Folks that had problems with their servo systems may beg to differ.

Since most of our after market decisions are based on stuff we want or stuff that is suggested by friends I must say most all of my after market stuff has filled some sort of useful gap....... Except..........

The blue bunny ear covers for my mirrors delightfully supplied by my darling daughter confused.gif

NEW and UNUSED

I know the brakes are new, can you feel a huge difference?

Not really OT, but since you asked, I recently replaced an 05 GS with an 07 RT. From an operational viewpoint, the 07 system is notably less grabby on initial application and you don't have to worry about moving the bike around with the key off. My 05 had no issues with brake progressivity once beyond the initial application. Other than the "grabbiness" I had no problems with the braking on my 05, i.e. no system failures leading to residual braking only. Both have been fine purchases.

The blue bunny ear covers for my mirrors delightfully supplied by my darling daughter confused.gif

NEW and UNUSED

She's probably emotionally scarred for life by your obvious rejection of her heartfelt gift. wink.gif

I wouldn't have put 'em on, either.

Two leather jackets (too hot even with venting)

Draggin jeans (never felt safe....armored riding pants are better for me)

Miscellaneous gloves.....should've just stuck with tried and true Held gloves.

BMW Topcase....used once, too top heavy, waste of money, sold it.

Burton brackets for highway pegs....never liked the look, afraid they would snap off the head on a tipside.....didn't like the position.

AdventurePoser
Draggin jeans

I was thinking about getting a pair of them.... No good?

Never could get 'em to fit me that well. I am 6-2, 176#, and couldn't really figure out the exact problem, but they just did not fit, in several places...

Steve

Aluminum_Butt

Draggin Jeans

Never could get 'em to fit me that well.

+1. They fit very differently than my Levis. It's tough to pinpoint, but I think:

1. The front of the waist comes up 1"-2" higher.

2. The hip to waist ratio is significantly smaller, making them seem tight in the front even though the waist is fine.

3. The tops of the front pockets are more straight across. It's almost impossible to get anything in or out of them if I'm sitting. Combined with #2, I can't keep anything soft in them for fear of crushing it.

I know one very thin guy who wears them and likes them. But the heavier you are, I suspect the less likely they are to fit.

Well thats disappointing. I'm glad Laura posted that before I added as a Poor Purchase Decision.

Any recommendations on something along the same lines as the Draggin Jeans that can be used in the Spring/Summer in NJ?

(sorry for the hijack, and thanks for the topic thumbsup.gif)

Aluminum_Butt

Any recommendations on something along the same lines as the Draggin Jeans

I have a pair of K7 Hood Jeans ( Hood Jeans). I like them a lot - they fit and look just like my Levis. The aramid fiber is used all the way from the waist down past the knees - much better coverage than Draggin. The only downside to them is that they are pricey - the exchange rate plus shipping costs put them up to about $150.

I've also seen some discussion around here about Diamond Gusset Jeans ( Diamond Gusset ).

Any recommendations on something along the same lines as the Draggin Jeans

I have a pair of K7 Hood Jeans ( Hood Jeans). I like them a lot - they fit and look just like my Levis.

A little steep, but if they fit like Levis it might be worth it. Do you have the armour installed?

Thanks for the links

Aluminum_Butt

Do you have the armour installed?

Yes...but I'll have to admit to not always using it. Obviously, jeans have to be washed a lot more frequently than a riding suit, and it's easy to skip putting the armor back in after washing. Plus, I wear these to the office frequently, and it's nice to not have the bulge in the knees.

That said, it's easy enough to put in, and reasonably comfortable. It's CE-approved stuff.

One other note... The Hood Jeans run slightly smaller than Levis. I wouldn't automatically go up a size, but if you tend to wear your regular jeans on the snug side, you might want to go up one size on the Hoods.

Maybe I'll ask the wife to get me these, Marc Parnes balancer, and/or Avon Storms.

The Diamond Gusset jeans didn't appear to have the same protection.

Thanks again thumbsup.gif

Archived