IGNORED

A few Spline Lube Replacement questions

Mike T

I'm in the middle of a clutch replacement, spline lube job and tranny removal for rebuild for a '95 R1100RS with 20K miles. I need advice on two questions:

1) I replaced the rear engine seal. The old seal was flush with the engine housing (i.e. not sunk into the housing). I did not measure the old vs the new seal as they looked the same. Then I read somewhere that BMW has updgraded the seals and the new ones are 3mm thinner. Does this mean that I should install the new seal 3mm deeper into the housing (vs. flush like the original one)?

2)The two bearings where the rear drive shaft housing attaches to the tranny have play in them when you move the innner races from side to side. There is no play if you move them from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock or from 9 to 3. Should these be replaced?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

1) I replaced the rear engine seal. The old seal was flush with the engine housing (i.e. not sunk into the housing). I did not measure the old vs the new seal as they looked the same. Then I read somewhere that BMW has updgraded the seals and the new ones are 3mm thinner. Does this mean that I should install the new seal 3mm deeper into the housing (vs. flush like the original one)?

I don't think it matters as long as the surface that the seal rides on is smooth and at the same level as the original.

2)The two bearings where the rear drive shaft housing attaches to the tranny have play in them when you move the innner races from side to side. There is no play if you move them from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock or from 9 to 3. Should these be replaced?

Yes, no play is the correct answer.

Stan

Archived