IGNORED

My Toes are Cold!!

twilmotte

After riding around yesterday with cold feet (despite wearing my Wigwam winter socks), I decided to splurge for the Gerbings comfort socks. I called Gerbing to order a pair and was told they are about 6 weeks behind in filling orders for those socks. Winter will be almost be over in 6 weeks. So, plan B is to get a pair of non-electric socks that insulate well (retain body heat) and aren't too bulky. Has modern technology improved socks? Any recommendations??

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I had the same problem riding in 27-degree weather and getting very cold toes. I was in REI the other day and found some Battery operated socks. You put a "D-Cell" into a little pocket at the top. Looks like this would work well, and only $22. I haven't tried them yet so I can't comment--but the price is right.

I use the chemical foot warmer packs, seasonally available at WalMart or sporting goods shops for about $1.00-$1.25 a pair. They work very well and last about 5-6 hours.

After riding around yesterday with cold feet (despite wearing my Wigwam winter socks),

So, plan B is to get a pair of non-electric socks that insulate well (retain body heat) and aren't too bulky. Has modern technology improved socks? Any recommendations??

You don't mention what temps you ride in.

There's a chance that your socks <may> actually be too warm as it is. Cold feet are often the result of damp socks. On your next ride, check your socks when you get cold feet. If they are damp, you now have a starting point. Warmer socks would only make things worse.

Wearing a thin wicking sock liner under your thermal socks helps. It transfers humidity outwards, keeping your feet drier.

hth,

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review

:

I use the chemical foot warmer packs, seasonally available at WalMart or sporting goods shops for about $1.00-$1.25 a pair. They work very well and last about 5-6 hours.

Save me a trip to Wal-Mart to check these out.....What is the shape and size of these packs?.....Sounds good but my boots are tight to start with having a very wide foot don't know if anything else will fit in there !!! confused.gif......

Thanks........

Phil.........Redbrick

Wearing a thin wicking sock liner under your thermal socks helps. It transfers humidity outwards, keeping your feet drier.

hth,

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

:

That was the order I thought they should be in but I read somewhere about wearing a cotton sock next to the skin with a wool sock (I'm using Merino wool socks from REI) over it. I thought it should be the other way around until I tried it. My feet stay much warmer. Of course, it's all relative. I'm in Southern California, not Canada. 50F is cold to me!

grin.gif

Those Toe Warmers are very thin and will stick to your socks. They will cover most of the toe area of your foot extending onto the pad area of the foot. They really don't add much thickness to your foot. They work pretty well. Don't think they are intended to be placed on top of your foot but I suppose that would work. I have used them and they help. Pretty cheap too. Those battery powered socks with the big battery pocket are pretty akward IMO. The battery just kind of hands off the side, would be tough to wear with most MC boots.

If you are thinking about the Gerbing socks I would recommend finding a place that will let you try them on before buying. They were much too bulky to fit in my boots. I am staying with a good pair of ski socks.

AdventurePoser

Hi,

It might not be the socks, but your feet and boots. Do you have room to wiggle your toes in your boots? Too tight boots will inhibit your circulation and make your feet very cold.

Seems strange, but thinner socks often times will keep your feet warmer.

Good luck on your quest.

Steve in So Cal

+1 on the Wally World chemical heat packs. Cheap and work well.

For cold weather rides, I always keep a spare set in my tank bag "just in case"... thumbsup.gif

That was the order I thought they should be in but I read somewhere about wearing a cotton sock next to the skin with a wool sock.

Dampness conducts heat much more than air. The cotton sock will stay damp next to your skin and your feet will get cold. As someone from the great white north, I have to ask:

What are you doing wearing 2 pairs of socks in temps of 50F. smile.gif

cheers!

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

:

Brian PDQ Signs

Make your own! thumbsup.gif I did, it was fun and if anything happens I know how to fix them. Also, my 30 gage wire is really thin and I don't even know I'm wearing electric sox until I flip the switch and say - Oh yeah Baby!

2836314290062873392HpFxah_th.jpg

I also wear a thin wicking liner sox under those.

Dampness conducts heat much more than air. The cotton sock will stay damp next to your skin and your feet will get cold. As someone from the great white north, I have to ask:

What are you doing wearing 2 pairs of socks in temps of 50F. smile.gif

cheers!

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

:

Like I said, that's what I thought but my feet stay a lot warmer this way instead of just wearing the Merino socks alone (besides, they don't itch as bad that way).

...and yes, 50F is COLD here!

ooo.gif

Archived