IGNORED

Recall on my new 06 RT

MikeB

I received a call from my dealer today informing me that they received a recall notice for my bike. The recall is for a clutch problem. Can anyone tell me or refer me to a previous message about this recall? I just happened to notice the other day that my build date for the bike appears to be 01/06.

Wow... looks like your dealer screwed up. This recall was supposed to be done BEFORE they sold the bike. Well, that's what the recall notice seems to indicate.

Make : BMW Model : R1200 RT Year : 2006

Manufacturer : BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V104000 Recall Date : MAR 30, 2006

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 453

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE CLUTCH COMPONENTS COULD BECOME LOOSE WHILE THE MOTORCYCLE IS BEING OPERATED.

Consequence:

IF THIS HAPPENED, THE COMPONENTS COULD EXIT THROUGH THE ENGINE CASTING INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW CLUTCH COMPONENTS FREE OF CHARGE. ALL MOTORCYCLES ARE LOCATED AT DEALERS. NO MOTORCYCLES HAVE BEEN SOLD TO CUSTOMERS.

Notes:

CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Didn't have 100 miles on my 2006 RT when dealer sent a trailer to pick it up. Manufactured Jan 06, sold Feb 06. Took a month to get the parts in and installed. Dealer did a good job of taking care of me though.

Buckster

As said above, I'm surprised the dealer ever delivered the bike like that. They weren't supposed to; there was a "bunch" of new '06 RTs in "quarantine" at dealers until the parts could be replaced. Where I bought my '06 (Feb 06 build), they had 8-10 new '06 RTs sitting in the back of the shop awaiting parts -- that was probably sometime early April, maybe earlier.

If it's the same recall affecting your bike, I'd ask the dealer why he delivered it, given the recall goes back many months and all bikes were supposed to be fixed before being sold.

Thanks all, I am surprised to hear this recall goes back so far in time. I am wondering how my dealer came across this bike and the others they are pushing to get rid of on their showroom floor. I bought mine under the sells incentive program. I was purposely looking for a red one and that's how I came to buy it at this dealer. Possibly, my dealer picked this bike up from another dealer that wasn't moving enough 06 models and they assumed the work had been performed.

Normally, I deal with Ozzie's in Chico CA, but he didn't have any red models.

When I purchased my 03 RT, Ozzie had to change out the transmission before releasing it to me as a recall issue. Interesting luck I have on these RTs.

This is a list of the VINs that went out with the original service bulletin. It is a range of bikes requiring inspection. Some in this range required a new clutch package.

The following is the affected VIN range for the each model:

R 1200 GS: ZR40266 - ZR40330

R 1200 GS Adv.: ZP60008

R 1200 RT: ZM18276 - ZM18702

HP2 Enduro: ZL10353 - ZL10355

The same thing happened to me. I received a call from BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta about a month after my bike was delivered saying that they had screwed up and let the bike out with out performing the recall. Since I'm about 300 miles away I wasn't ready to take it back to them and instead worked it out for my local dealer to do the recall. To BMW of Atlanta's credit they paid the local dealer to do my 600 mile service also.

The local dealer (Bloodworth) did a great job and no problems what so ever with it.

Mike,

I would also be hesitant to drive it if it needs that recall and it hasn't been done. The recall is to fix the clutch that can basically explode. This is of course form memory so YMMV.

Same deal in Canada. Jan06 build, bought in May06. Clutch recall in July. Apparently not within the listed recall VIN range the dealer had but BMW Canada was taking no chances. Suspect mine fell into the 'we're not sure' range. I parked if for a week then continued to ride the bags off it until they got the parts 3 weeks later.

Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up the same day.

Archived