IGNORED

ZTechnik vs, Cee Baily

mok54321

60.000 miles of scratches along with some blotches caused by some kind of chemicals (probably that time I was crop dusted in Arkansas) have necessitated a new windshield for my R1150RT.

I was just about to place my order for a Cee Bailey Euro cut screen but have read some glowing reviews for the Ztechnik.

I have been satisfied with the stock screen. As a short rider (5'6") I have had no need for the taller sizes.

Any opinions out there? You advise is appreciated.

I choose the Vstream with no regrets. I have 2 friends with CB's and when they are in the full up position they look like a barn door. The Vstream tapers back at the top and give very like wind resistance, plus it is VERY quiet. I can hear my radio much better now.

I just picked up a ZT and installed it, although I have been unable to ride since. @#$ weather, I am very impressed with the fit and finish and general quality of the screen.

If you want to pay for my bike and I to get shipped down to your place I'll let you try it out! wink.gif

I also just opted for the ZT. It is hugely quieter than the stock and very clear. It looks great on the bike, matching the sexy lines. I am not so excited about the logo on the lower front of the screen, which may be retroreflective, but I prefer a cleaner look. If it is a sticker, its on there pretty good. Great screen.

Im really happy with my Z TEch too. Is a lot quieter, gives less buffeting, more protection and, in my opinion, actually looks better on the bike than the stock screen. It's lines seem to suit!

I choose the Vstream with no regrets. I have 2 friends with CB's and when they are in the full up position they look like a barn door. The Vstream tapers back at the top and give very like wind resistance, plus it is VERY quiet. I can hear my radio much better now.

WHAT DID HE SAY??

Tried the CB & sent it back. I couldn't deal with the distortion at the top. Even though I look over the windsheild, it was still a distraction.

I love my V-Stream. thumbsup.gif

How is the ZT for the pillion? My wife rides and gets buffeted? If it is good for her, then I will sell my CB and stock shields.

My wife finds less buffeting with the Z technic than with the stock screen.

One thing to be aware of, and I see another thread on the subject has just started, is that some riders are reporting broken screen mounting arms after fitting non-stock screens. Sounds like the tolerances in the arms are marginal and they might not be able to withstand the additional wind pressure on a larger screen very well . Worth keeping an eye on..so far so good for me! :-)

• 2 months later...
She says there is very little buffeting, & rain protection is very good.

I just bought a 2004 R1150RT w/ a CB windscreen on it. It's pretty good, but doesn't quite measure up to the protection afforded by the Aeroflow I had on my R1100RT.

The only problem I had with the Aeroflow was the backdraft it created when I raised the screen high enough to eliminate most of the wind noise. The Aeroflow would drive a cold wind right down the back of my neck. The CB doesn't reduce wind noise quite as much but I don't get the blast from the past either.

How does the ZT do with regard to this "back draft" effect?

Ron

The Cee Bailey's screens have a big following with LT riders. I'm seeing more VStreams on LTs as time goes on. My local dealer carries both, and the VStream shields are less expensive (for the LT anyway).

One issue you may want to consider is the difference in materials. VStreams are made of polycarbonate, same material as the BMW stock shields. You can just about bend these shields in half without breaking them.

Most aftermarket shields, like the Cee Bailey's, are made of acrylic. Some riders pass on acrylic shields because they can shatter on impact, leaving sharp edges.

Some consumers are less concerned. YMMV.

There is an interesting video on the ZTechnik website. Worth a look-see. http://www.ztechnik.com/index.html

Interesting video Weyman.

I've been looking at after-market wind screens and had pretty much decided on the Cee Bailey, mostly because I could almost dictate the size. But....

The ZTechnik seemingly gets rave reviews from almost everyone. Biggest concern: how does it do re: air flow in hot weather? Does all that "quiet" equate to no air flow even with the screen down?

I have no experience with CB. However, I just yesterday installed a ZT that I bought in the classified section from a guy who preferred Aeroflow(?).

I LOVE the ZT! I am 5-10-ish and the ZT is it quieter than the stock ws in almost ANY position. If I compared the stock full up to the ZT full down, well than the stock would win out ... but you get my point.

I found it sturdier than the stock both while installing and while riding. I think this comes from the curves/bends (which do not significantly mess up your vision) that radiate up from the bottom center towards the upper, outer "wings".

I got to ride it in a 20 mph crosswind on a very tall bridge that I had just ridden over about 2 hours prior to my test ride. What a difference! Not only was the buffeting reduced even in the full up position, but I found that this translated to a VERY solid feel when in the lower third or so. By solid I mean that although my RT remains nimble, it doesn't feel so close to the edge of the envelope (so to speak).

Anyone noticing anything like that? All I know is it is a huge improvement over the stock ws.

I fully realize that the correct wind screen is all in the eyes of the beholder but also think when it comes to the VStream v. CBailey discussion it makes a difference which bike you have and that all screens for all models are not created equal.

I have been riding my 1200RT with a +3+3 CBailey and after all the VStream reviews had to try a VStream. I had previously purchased an Aeroflow and did not like it.

I put the VS on and took a 4 hour ride on a windy day. It was so loud I could not hear my radio or CB in my helmet headsets. I thought it was significantly noiser than the CB. I put the CB back on and boxed the new VS. Two days later a riding buddy of mine with a 1150RT got his new VS and liked it so I rode his bike on a windy day. The shields are not shaped the same for the 1150 and the 1200. Funny thing. He's 5'8" +/- and I'm 6'2". On the 1150 the VS is quiet for both of us. On the 1200 the VS is noisy for me. He didn't ride the 1200 with the VS on.

So two riders on two different RT's and both with a different result. I called VS and think if they made a 2" to 4" taller model for the 1200 it might be great but as it is, it isn't for me. I got the impression they weren't interested in looking at that solution although they were really cooperative and open to discussion. For the 1150, I'd give the VS a thumbs up. For the 1200 you couldn't give me the shield.

Go figure.

Dan Forker

tom collins

i have a cb on an 1150. the shield is 3 inches over stock i believe and 3 inches wider. i am 5'8", 30" inseam and ride in the lowest position of a cbailey seat with a sheepskin, so probably equivillent to stock seat in middle to upper position, also use bar backs. i am a believer in the theory that the lower you can keep the screen, the better the aerodynamics. i was a little disappointed with the bailey at first because i had to keep it a little higher than i liked (though much better than stock in any position). i then added a strip of the saeng beaded edge around it and that made it perfect, it adds about an inch worth of protection and smooths the air (there is lots of debate on this board about this product, but it works for me). i can keep it down low and the air is smooth, if raised a little, then it is a cone of silence. it is thick and sturdy, but heavy, so i will generally try to raise it only below 30 mph to protect the motor. if i must raise at highway speed, i engage the throttle lock when safe and use my throttle hand to assist the shield and you can feel just how much air it is holding back and it should be no surprise when motors burn out. the stock shield was cut down to just cover the instruments and works great on hot days, it is small enough to go in the givi tail trunk and pull out when you are camped some where and want the bike to be cooler and feel about 50 lbs lighter (just an illusion, but not having that big screen in your face makes it seem so).

well, that was more than i intended to say, but hope some of it helped.

good luck and they are all better than stock.

tom collins

04 RT

I posted on another thread sometime back about how great I think the ZT V stream is. I have been riding with it for about 3 weeks and love it. I cannot compare to the CeeB, but it certainly has a big advantage over the stock windshield. I can ride with it almost all the way down which gives good vision and reasonable air flow without buffeting and also is fairly smooth in strong wind gusts. It has not been real hot yet, but I think it will be a good summer windshield. thumbsup.gif

Archived