IGNORED

Is there any central location for oil change instructions, valve adj and such?

chat_vmax

Wherever you find something good, copy and paste it into a Word document to make your own easy-to-find reference.

Some good illustrated instructions can be found by searching this oilhead forum for posts by KMG_365 with the keyword walk-through (or walkthrough or "walk through"). Jamie wrote some fine illustrated instructions for clutch bleed, brake bleed, oil change, tupperware and tank removal, and maybe more stuff that I don't remember.

ShovelStrokeEd

There will be one here, real soon now.

I'm setting a task for myself to compile some basic maintenance information using my own experience and whatever I can borrow/steal from other sources.

Seems to me that too many folks are intimidated by doing the most mundane tasks on their bikes and thus fill dealer's coffers. Getting to know and bond with your bike in a mechanical way is an easy way to garner more satisfaction out of the ownership experience. It is also gangs easier on the wallet.

Look for some stuff in the soon to come tech forum on just this kind of thing.

Since I just bought my first R1150RT (first beemer at all!) I'm looking forward to a good DIY collection. I've used the bimmerforums one for my E36, and it's wonderful to have an alternative to the stealer.... Can't wait to start wrenching my ride!

AL

daveinatlanta

+1 on NoHeat's sugguestion to look for KMG and walkthru. I followed the walkthrough today to change engine, xmsn and final drive fluids. Great pictures and good hints, particularly about how to drain the xmsn without making a mess!

I followed the walkthrough today to change engine, xmsn and final drive fluids. Great pictures and good hints, particularly about how to drain the xmsn without making a mess!

I was glad for those tips, too.

The post, however, seems to be gone now. I wonder if it auto-deleted after 3 years. I saved it in a PDF file that I still have, but I can no longer the original by searching this site.

Archived