IGNORED

r1150rt toR1100rt rear wheel swap?

Superbike1

Is this possible? I guess what I am asking is the bolt pattern the same? I know the speedo will be incorrect but I need to know. Anyone done it before?

It is not (easily) possible, but the issue is not the wheel mount, it is the brakes. On the one the brake rotor is mounted to the wheel, on the other it is mounted with the final drive's hub.

I suppose if someone wanted to do it bad enough you could change the whole final drive too, but you'd have to look at what other issues might be involved. Especially given the two dramatically different ABS systems between the R1100xx and the R1150xx.

If you want a 17" rear wheel on an R1100RT (your profile doesn't specify a bike) you can use an early K1200RS or K1200LT rear wheel. I installed a 2000 K1200RS rear wheel on my '96 R1100RT a few years ago so I could use the Me-880 Metzelers.

You will also need the shorter K1200RS lug bolts.

Mick

Just to amplify on that, the K1200xx rear wheel that can fit the R1100RT is the 5" wide one, not the 5.5" wide one. Even with the 5" wheel, you don't have a lot of clearance between the tire and the swingarm, but it appears to be enough. I can't imagine the 5.5" would fit. (Right now there's a listing on IBMWR for a K1200RS rear wheel, but it doesn't say which size, which is the kind of thing you have to look out for).

If you want a 17" rear wheel on an R1100RT (your profile doesn't specify a bike) you can use an early K1200RS or K1200LT rear wheel. I installed a 2000 K1200RS rear wheel on my '96 R1100RT a few years ago so I could use the Me-880 Metzelers.

You will also need the shorter K1200RS lug bolts.

Mick

Thanks for the insight!

Archived