IGNORED

Boots.....trying to make up my mind. Please provide your input/suggestions....

lthj75

I narrowed it down between the Sidi Canyon Gore Tex or the Sidi On Road Sympatex Boot.....anyone have feedback on the new Canyons?

Canyon Gore Tex:

fac.jpg

On Road Sympatex:

g2281.jpg

Wow! the Road Sympatex, in a way, reminds me of my jump boots. I like those better than the others. How much are they?

Both are in the $250 range - the On Roads are known to be one of the best in terms of comfort/waterproof.....but the Canyons are new so I figured I'd ask. I also read a new Gore Tex version of the On Roads are due out within the next month......decisions, decisions.

I'm not so sure you can go wrong which ever way you choose to go...

I have the on roads and really like them.

If you go the "new" On Road route, make sure you try them on. The old ones ran a bit large (I wear a 44 On Road but typically I'm a 45 with others.)

They are both great but I think the On Road would give you better durability. The canyon uses a lot of suede for accents. Not good. I like the adjustable nature of the straps that velcro. The On Road is completely waterproof.I don't think the Canyon has been tested in the mags. Go with the On Road thumbsup.gif

I narrowed it down between the Sidi Canyon Gore Tex or the Sidi On Road Sympatex Boot.....anyone have feedback on the new Canyons?

NewEnough.com has been selling the OnRoads on eBay. . Everyone knows their value so you don't save a ton, but you might save $10-15 there. I like Sidi boots.. just got a pair of these for dual-sport riding:

Sidi Discovery

00000111.jpg

Sidi makes great stuff and you won't go wrong regardless of your selection. One caution before you buy; go check how they feel while sitting on your bike or a bike in the showroom and check the amount of clearance you have with the shifter. The sole on the Sympatex and Canyon is thick. I opted out and went for the Sidi full race boot because of the clumsiness of the Sympatex. On the other hand you can adjust the shift lever to over come clearance problems.

I'll add this indirect input. I have Sidi boots with the velcro closure and I have Sidi bicycle shoes with the rachet closure. The velcro will loosen and it's sort of a pain in the butt at times. The rachet is a terrific mechanism and if I was buying motorcycle boots again, I'd pass on the velcro and go with the rachet. My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Lets_Play_Two
Sidi makes great stuff and you won't go wrong regardless of your selection. One caution before you buy; go check how they feel while sitting on your bike or a bike in the showroom and check the amount of clearance you have with the shifter. The sole on the Sympatex and Canyon is thick. I opted out and went for the Sidi full race boot because of the clumsiness of the Sympatex. On the other hand you can adjust the shift lever to over come clearance problems.

I agree with this but I have the added feature of wearing size 49/50, so maybe its just a big feet issue. grin.gif

Lookng at the designs, I would stick with the On-Road Sympatex. The velcro straps provide more adjustability for a wider variety of calf shapes. I have never had a problem with the velcro loosening on my On-Road Sympatex Sidis. I have been wearing the On-Roads since '99. Mine are very comfortable, waterproof, and overall a great touring boot.

Don't overlook the Thunder Sympatex. I've been wearing an earlier version for over 4 years and will replace with the Thunder.

My wife has the On Roads. I usually have both boots on before she gets the 3rd strap down on her first boot.

IMHO the Thunder looks more like the RT's style where the On Road looks more like a GS boot.

00000282.jpg

Don't overlook the Thunder Sympatex. I've been wearing an earlier version for over 4 years and will replace with the Thunder.

My wife has the On Roads. I usually have both boots on before she gets the 3rd strap down on her first boot.

IMHO the Thunder looks more like the RT's style where the On Road looks more like a GS boot.

I looked at these too - I don't like the soles. I had a pair of Oxtar with a similar sole and they wore way too quickly. I want a lugt sole.

Side note - New Enough just added the new Gore Tex On Roads! I think we may have a winner!!!! clap.gif

I looked at these too - I don't like the soles. I had a pair of Oxtar with a similar sole and they wore way too quickly. I want a lugt sole.

I think the wear may have had more to do with the manufacturer than the fact that it was a lug sole or not. My 4 year old Sidi boots with a similar sole are holding up just fine.

I now ride a GS with Evolution 4 footpegs which have studs on them. My guess is that lug soles would probably catch on the studs and make it harder to move my foot for shifting/rear braking.

Good luck with which ever Sidi you choose, they make great boots. clap.gif

One more SIDI question.....I read they run large. Is that true. I usually wear a size 11 in a boot and 11.5 in a shoe.....should I get the 45 or 46?

Officer_Impersonator

Don't forget to check out the Aerostich boots, all made by Sidi especially for them.

I ride with the Combat Touring Lites and absolutely love them. I've waterproofed them, so a Gore-Tex would be redundant. In all honesty, a boot you'd waterproofed yourself will be much more waterproof and will last a lot longer than a Gore-Tex boot that gets no maintainence because you think "Hey, it's Gore-Tex - I don't need to treat the leather".

The Combat Touring Lites have the ratchet buckle over the instep which is super secure. The speed lacing sometimes gets hung up on the velcro, but after you've put them on a few times, you'll figure out how to keep the laces out of the velcro.

I'll echo a prior post that the sole/foot peg interface is a huge deal. If the boot grips the peg too well, you'll have a harder time finding the rear brake and shift lever when you need them yesterday. It would be silly to make a final decision on a boot before having a chance to try it out on your bike.

I had to send my first pair back as they were a tiny bit too big, and I knew over time the boots would get larger as they stretched ever so slightly. Aerostich has a great return policy and they are really easy to deal with. I'd check out their Sidi boots when comparing the various options...

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Motorcycle-Boots-p-1-c-302.html

One more SIDI question.....I read they run large. Is that true. I usually wear a size 11 in a boot and 11.5 in a shoe.....should I get the 45 or 46?

I also wear 11.5 shoes and my Sidi boots are a 46.

I wear Techsox which are not real thick and the fit is perfect for me.

Don't forget to check out the Aerostich boots, all made by Sidi especially for them.

I ride with the Combat Touring Lites and absolutely love them. I've waterproofed them, so a Gore-Tex would be redundant. In all honesty, a boot you'd waterproofed yourself will be much more waterproof and will last a lot longer than a Gore-Tex boot that gets no maintainence because you think "Hey, it's Gore-Tex - I don't need to treat the leather".

Interesting! I haven't heard much about these - but they look nice. Have you riden with them in rain and how did they hold up? What did you waterproof them with? Sizing true to size?

I went to try on the Sidi Canyon Gore Tex and the On Road Sympatex Boot. The dealer did not carry the Canyon but had the Champion. The Champion is very similar to the On Road but is quite a bit shorter.

I can see why a lot of riders like the On Road but that's just way too much boot for me (paratrooper?). The Champion is clearly a great boot for both day tripping and touring. thumbsup.gif. It's also about $180. Incidentally, I also tried on Sidi's Doha boot. I think I'm going to order a pair of these, as well. They're very comfortable and a great warm weather riding shoe. One Euro size larger is the right fit (48, normally 47).

Archived