IGNORED

Portable or semi mount Heat Troller

Liberty790

I just got in on a group buy for warm and safe heated liners and am wondering whether to go with the portable dual or the semi mounted dual Heat troller which gives you a little box with the knobs. It seems tougher to install, but is it more convenient?

For me, a permanent mount meant one less thing to have to remember to pack or potentially lose on a trip. grin.gif

True. The downside to that is when you sell the bike, your Heat Troller has to go with it.

True. The downside to that is when you sell the bike, your Heat Troller has to go with it.

Or he could try something in between like mounting it to the back of the tank bag like I did here.

medium.jpg

Or he could try something in between like mounting it to the back of the tank bag like I did here.

Bingo...Did the same thing at your suggestion. (BTW, on my Darien, you could velcro it to the pants leg). My tankbag has become the 'collector' for all things 'permanent' that will NOT stay with the bike when I eventually sell it.

Mike O

One thing to consider is if you think you will ever be using the heated clothing anywhere other than when on the bike. Such as at cold sporting events. If so, the portable 'troller is better for that.

I've considered using vel cro but I'm concerned that sticking the vel cro on the tank will leave a mark if and when it's removed..Anyone know?

I have the semi and mounted it on the clutch reservoir cap with a hook & loop fastener, and then ran the cabling under the bodywork. Most of the convenience of a permanent mount, but I could remove it if I sell the bike. My wife has a portable troller because she sometimes rides pillion, and sometimes rides her own.

For me, a permanent mount meant one less thing to have to remember to pack or potentially lose on a trip. grin.gif

Well, maybe not. Its just a small hole that you can fill in many ways that can look nice. I took the one off my RT when I traded it and its now on the GT.

Nooooo!!

My semi-mount controller is velcroed to my clutch reservoir and the plug is tucked up in the left side frame rail. It is powered through my 7-ckt. Painless fuse panel. I probably could (and will) remove it when the bike is sold. That job should take no more than 45min.

I believe its a lot handier to use and operate than any portable unit.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Limecreek's photo of the portable looks like a clean and simple way to go. I also realized that if I install the semi mount on the 1150, then I won't be able to use the liner on the r80 which I use for an eight mile commute. I'll order the leather holster to go with it and make an attachment for the tank bag, then hook on my jacket belt on the old bike.

I am curious about the fuse panel mentioned. Doesn't the heat troller harness attach directly to the battery? Can the power be taken from the plugs on the left side of the bike? The troller comes with a 15 amp fuse.

Doesn't the heat troller harness attach directly to the battery? Can the power be taken from the plugs on the left side of the bike? The troller comes with a 15 amp fuse.
Either approach will work. Most common is to wire directly to the battery. As you (one way or the other!) unplug your clothing from the bike when you get off, there is no real need for it to be though a separate fused and/or switched source.

Archived