IGNORED

New Diagnostic Tool

aggieengineer

russell_bynum

Just wondering....

It also works on older model BMWs, e.g. the F650GS/Dakar and R1150GS. There's a PDF brochure available from their download page

Since when do the older F650's and R1150's have a CAN-Bus system?

I thought the R1200GS was the first BMW bike with CAN-Bus. Maybe that was just for the US market and the rest of the world got it earlier??

Since when do the older F650's and R1150's have a CAN-Bus system?

They don't. But it looks like this scan tool plugs into the diagnostic port. The pre-CANBus bikes have that.

I might be interested in one of these. Especially if flash upload/download becomes available.

You are correct, the 2005 GS was the fist BMW Can Bus bike. Many of the functionalities of this reader were available since Motronic 2.4 was introduced for both the Motronic and ABS II(same diagnostic connecter). I would think this tester would offer fault detection and code clearing for those models once the software is developed.

If they can incorporate real time status query and I-ABS bleed tests I would be lined up for a purchase clap.gif

All of this is possible if they understand the communications protocol.

Especially if flash upload/download becomes available.
It is. According to Stephan at hex, the PC software includes the ability to flash the unit itself. As they update the software to add functionality it will be on their website for download. Initial purchase includes the first year of upgrades.
Mine's on order. grin.gif I'll post a review when I get it and have played with it a bit.
Thanks Ken. No doubt lots of curious minds want to know...
I would think this tester would offer fault detection and code clearing for those models once the software is developed.
It will now. Display and clearing of fault codes on the R1200xx, R1150xx, F650, but not the R1100xx series.
real time status query and I-ABS bleed tests
Stephan says real time parameter displaying is coming. Haven't heard anything about ABS bleed test though. I kind of doubt it because this is passive reader and when doing dealer ABS bleed test the dealer's GT-1 sends commands to the ABS unit.
Mine's on order.
So is mine. thumbsup.gif Actually, if this thing is capable of clearing faults then perhaps functionality to say, park the stepper motors can be added later... At any rate I ordered the blue-tooth unit so I can use my phone to run it. grin.gif
Actually, if this thing is capable of clearing faults then perhaps functionality to say, park the stepper motors can be added later...
Agreed. Parking the stepper motors would be a big one. All Stephan has said about that, (that I know of) is that they are looking into it. I'd guess they are up against the same thing others of us who have looked into developing an aftermarket way to do it (I did a long thread about a year ago about my (failed) efforts to develop a stepper controller for them). The challenge is not knowing where to park them for a factory procedure TB sync.
Mine's on order.
So is mine. thumbsup.gif Actually, if this thing is capable of clearing faults then perhaps functionality to say, park the stepper motors can be added later... At any rate I ordered the blue-tooth unit so I can use my phone to run it. grin.gif

I downloaded the little test app to verify bluetooth operation on my phone. No go for me. I'm a sad panda.

Lot's of phones support bluetooth. Not very many of them support the bluetooth api so java apps can use it.

Thanks for the reply Ken. If it is incapible of sending commands I agree the bleed test and stepper motor setting would be impossible. Still, real time queries would be very useful if that is added.

Well it's not totally incapable of sending commands, as it will send a 'clear trouble code' command. But beyond that, we'll have to wait and see what hex.com comes up with!

Update: I just figured out what you are referring to in regards to it not working. The mobile needs to have bluetooth API running for this to work and my mobile does not appear to have it.

I don't have the actual unit from Hex yet but I was able to download and install the java applet on my mobile. I get the the screeen where you select between R and F series. It won't let me go any further because the bluetooth connection is not set up yet. Did you get this far? BTW, my mobile is a T-Mobile SDA.

I get the the screeen where you select between R and F series. It won't let me go any further because the bluetooth connection is not set up yet. Did you get this far? BTW, my mobile is a T-Mobile SDA.

No. I downloaded teh test program. The program ran (this means I can install and run java apps). I ran the check and it failed instantly. This means I don't have a phone with the bluetooth API. I verified this with some of the links they provide on their site with info about phones.

Yup, that's exactly what mine did too. Phone doesn't have bluetooth API and it cannot be installed seperately either. It has to be imbedded in the operating system. Only other option is get a phone that does have bluetooth API imbedded.

Chuck Hatcher
Only other option is get a phone that does have bluetooth API imbedded.

My phone is a RAZR which does not have the required API, so I am using the tool with a USB cable connected to my notebook. No fault codes, so nothing to clear for now. Looks like a useful item, but I do hope they manage to figure out the stepper motor command for TB sync.

I'm going to go out on limb and say that the applet will likely run on any PDA that has full bluetooth and Java support. So, if you like you can get a PDA instead of replacing your phone. Just thought it would be another option.

This is sort of a hijack, since this is the hexhead forum, however...

Unfortunatly, they have no immediate plans for a K-Bike version.

Stephan says if they do make one, it will be well after this summer, as they are busy. Actually, he said:

Hi Richard,

Currently we have no support for the K series... new or old... but we

are not counting this out for the future... However, I can tell you that

it will not be in the immediate future... i.e. next 3-6 months... there

is still a host of functionality we want to add for the R and F series.

Undoubtably this will help us to add functionality to the K eventually...

kind regards

Stephan

bncry.gifbncry.gif

Damn. I thought the RAZR had the necessary APIs embedded. I've emailed Stephan and asked him how we can tell if a mobile or pda has the APIs installed that the GS-911 needs to work via bluetooth. I'll post his response here when I get it. I did recieve my unit and it works perfectly via usb. My 30k+ RT has no fault codes. clap.gif

That is unfortunate. And it seems kind of strange to me that the K-bikes would be so different than the R-bikes so as to make the reader unit incompatible? OBD-II is standard across the entire automotive industry but BMW hasn't standardized across it's own line? Or perhaps the differences are minor and Hex just haven't had a chance to look at it yet... I hope.

I did some chatting with Stephan there and they beleive that the unit works with the R1200RT. They will offer a disount to somone to work on the RT's.

"I did some testing and a lot of studying.. and the 1200RT is compatible

with the GS - the RTs, same as the GS's, have several possibilities for

the ABS unit though, depending on the year model I'm looking for some

RT's to test on... so let me know if you would be willing to join the

Beta Crew, at a substantial discount on the purchase (we pretty much

just need to cover the Hardware Cost). I would not like to rubber stamp

it before I've tested on some RT's...

kind regards

Stephan"

This is going to be a great product based on their response to the community some RT techie can get a nice discount in supporting them! thumbsup.gif

ScottT,

Does your RT have the ESA? I was curious if the preset limits/codes for the preload and dampning (comfort, normal, & sport) are viewable in the RT? My thought was, for the next stage, is that if the preload standard was for say a 170 lb. person could that be "adjusted" in the computer for say a 200 lb. person. Following that could the comfort, normal, & sport settings be tweeked to the riders preference? confused.gif

Oh well dreams are cheap, reality is expensive....

That is unfortunate. And it seems kind of strange to me that the K-bikes would be so different than the R-bikes so as to make the reader unit incompatible? OBD-II is standard across the entire automotive industry but BMW hasn't standardized across it's own line? Or perhaps the differences are minor and Hex just haven't had a chance to look at it yet... I hope.

As I've read elsewhere: This Stephan fellow is the man when it comes to customer service!

Hi Richard...

Last night I spent 5 hours digging through K information....

your GT has the following controllers:

BMSK for engine

ZFE-High for vehicle electronics

CAN-Kombi-High for instrument cluster,

and then depending on when in 2006 it could have one of two ABS controllers.

So, what does this mean?... it means that the current functionality should work on your GT ;-)

I have one caveat though... leave the ABS for now... until we have added the other two ABS systems...

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Now there you go! This could work out great for both of us! I won't have to deal with the dealer every 2 months, and he will be able to figure out how we can make this thing work with the new K-bikes.

I'm going to do the "beta" thing with him so we can ensure it will work, and then he'll be able to sell/market it to the CANBus K-S/R/GT folks out there...

I'll let Y'all know how it goes!

Got mine!

This thing is pretty darn cool!

I won't post screen shots of the software itself as there is already some of those over at R1200GS.info

Here are some shots of the results on my bike. Info from the various controllers is somewhat interesting. One thing I can see is that I am on version 3.3.0 of the infamous ZFE updates that have addressed (and caused) various issues with the horn, accessory socket shutdown, etc:

125297069-M.jpg

Low and behold, I have an error code stored in the ZFE module that controls all the ‘peripherals’! I remember this issue when my brake light stuck on awhile back. (Was an easy fix BTW):

125297073-M.jpg

Here’s the info on my ABS unit:

125299771-L.jpg

It has some coded stored too! The same brake light issue, but here it tells me what it actually was. Now THAT would have been handy instead of just poking around trying to find what was keeping the brake light on! And some communication codes too. None of them currently present thank goodness!

125297068-M.jpg

And the BMS-K engine management info. There were no codes stored on my bike for it. But I plan to disconnect some stuff and see if I can make some!

125297078-M.jpg

And the instrument cluster info:

125297075-M.jpg

Where I do have codes stored, I could have clicked on “Clear Faultcodes”, but I didn’t just yet as I want to look around some more first.

I think this thing is going to be a big plus on assisting us DIYers on the R1150 and R1200 series. So far, so good! Those guys at hex.co are some smart dudes!

I've not ordered a unit yet but I have had some communications back and forth with Stephan @ Hex about plans for support the RT/GS and K bikes and I've been very impressed with his responsiveness. Here's his latest update...

At present you must realize, we only read the ECU information, and Read and Erase Fault Codes... this is very similar for most of the 1200 series... We had a strong opinion to ONLY support the GS bikes(hence

the name as well)... however we are receiving a good number of requests for the other bikes... So, here's what we are planning to do.

>

>Add support for:

>R-Series:

> R1200R

> R1200RT

> R1200S

> R1200ST

>K-Series:

> K1200GT

> K1200R

> K1200R Sport

> K1200S

>

For these bikes we will support the reading of ECU info and Reading and >Erasing of Fault codes as well. However, more advanced features, will >be prioritized to the GS range first, followed by the rest...

Hope this helps...

• 1 month later...

What I find frustrating is that although we pay thousands of dollars to buy a BMW motorcycle, we do not own and apparently we do not have rights to the software code that controls our motorcycle. I was talking to an independent service dealer here in California last year about this issue. We were talking about the status of a federal bill that was going to give consumers the right to obtain and modify the software so that consumers and other could do just what HEX is doing. Or, to allow independent service providers to obtain, through purchase or lease, the equivalent of the BMW GT1 computer diagnostic system, I’m not sure which. I don’t know what the status of that bill is or what became of it.

It is my hope that someday we will be able to maintain every aspect of our bikes, including applying the software upgrades and modifying the settings within the parameters that the manufactures provide within the software code they should be making available to consumers. In reality, BMW has a monopoly on at least those issues that can only be resolved through the GT1 computer diagnostics and factory approved upgrades. In essence this means that a BMW motorcycle owner is forced to take the bike into the BMW authorized shop for these types of issues in order to maintain the warranty.

The GT1s’ cost thousands of dollars but it essentially a desktop computer running Windows XP and some software and probably using a serial interface to connect to the bike. And yet the folks at HEX have developed something that we can afford that does a subset of the features found on the GT1. Makes me wonder? ? ?

Cheers!

This tool represents some really good news in that it has the potential to convert the new electronic systems from a weapon against the home mechanic to a helpful assist. I'm following closely as the ability to perform near 100% home service is a make-or-break factor in a buying decision for me.

Jim VonBaden
I've not ordered a unit yet but I have had some communications back and forth with Stephan @ Hex about plans for support the RT/GS and K bikes and I've been very impressed with his responsiveness. Here's his latest update...

At present you must realize, we only read the ECU information, and Read and Erase Fault Codes... this is very similar for most of the 1200 series... We had a strong opinion to ONLY support the GS bikes(hence

the name as well)... however we are receiving a good number of requests for the other bikes... So, here's what we are planning to do.

>

>Add support for:

>R-Series:

> R1200R

> R1200RT

> R1200S

> R1200ST

>K-Series:

> K1200GT

> K1200R

> K1200R Sport

> K1200S

>

For these bikes we will support the reading of ECU info and Reading and >Erasing of Fault codes as well. However, more advanced features, will >be prioritized to the GS range first, followed by the rest...

Hope this helps...

I can testify that it already works fine on the R1200ST and R1200RT. I have also used it on the R1150GS.

The 1200 series all worked of the GS setting with no issues I could tell.

ST-BMS-K.jpg

GS-ZFE-Faults.jpg

This is from my GF's ST. Brake light bulb burned, and the Horn is non-stock, but works perfectly.

I erased the fault codes also with no problem.

Jim cool.gif

Don't know if the ZFE codes come from the diagnostic unit or the bike but I suspect the problem shown was with the "brake light" not the "break light". lmao.gif

Don't know if the ZFE codes come from the diagnostic unit or the bike but I suspect the problem shown was with the "brake light" not the "break light". lmao.gif
They're comming from the ZFE. This 'spelling variation" by BMW, and there are a couple of others, have been discussed (and laughed at) by several of us owners of the GS-911!

Regardless, the tool is 'da bomb! The first insight into these controllers us DIY'ers have. thumbsup.gif

Jim VonBaden
They're comming from the ZFE. This 'spelling variation" by BMW, and there are a couple of others, have been discussed (and laughed at) by several of us owners of the GS-911!

Regardless, the tool is 'da bomb! The first insight into these controllers us DIY'ers have. thumbsup.gif

Very valuable tool! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Doesn't work on my Treo 680, unless someone knows where to get the bluetooth API.

Hmm...

Safe to assume it's looking for JSR82. Most Nextel devices support this. I thought the later revision Sprint Treo's did too.

If anyone's nearby and wants to tinker with the cell phone option, let me know. I've got some development phones that should work..

Doesn't work on my Treo 680, unless someone knows where to get the bluetooth API.

Hmm...

Safe to assume it's looking for JSR82. Most Nextel devices support this. I thought the later revision Sprint Treo's did too.

If anyone's nearby and wants to tinker with the cell phone option, let me know. I've got some development phones that should work..

Isn't the downloadable test app good enough to verify phone compatability?

Not to derail the thread too much, but you wouldn't be able to download the test app to a Sprint device w/out some tinkering, creating a JAD file for example. I've got some devices that support JSR82 (the needed bluetooth bits) but no GS to test with. Not sure about Nextel devices, if they can download the JAR directly or not. But most BT enabled Nextel devices have JSR82.

Anyways, J2ME for mobile devices is what I do for a living now, thought I'd throw out the offer to help if anyone was interested in trying to get it to work.

i take it then that the R1100'S' which has had the motronic 2.4 since day one, should also be the list?

i have a similar tool for my VW's really handy,

Archived