IGNORED

Reflective Stickers for Panniers

ray_rev

Sorry if my memory is failing me, but did reflective sticker sets for panniers etc appear on this site somewhere? ISTR a link to cheap products of this nature. Thanks.

Ray

Ray,

If you want to make your own, and want red color ( white is illegal in some states ), you can get 3M ScotchLIte in 4 inch by 60 inch rolls (About $ 14 ) at Galls.

Here is a link with some discussion and pictures: Link

Joe Frickin' Friday
You can order the 3M reflective film and cut everything to fit on your own.

You can...but it's difficult and time-consuming to measure/draw those shapes, and even more difficult to cut nice straight lines and smooth curves. Hard to beat die/machine-cut stickers for a "finished" look. +1 for Fernando's product (I've got a set myself). thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
You can order the 3M reflective film and cut everything to fit on your own.

You can...but it's difficult and time-consuming to measure/draw those shapes, and even more difficult to cut nice straight lines and smooth curves. Hard to beat die/machine-cut stickers for a "finished" look. +1 for Fernando's product (I've got a set myself). thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I probably wasn't clear enough...I was definitely recommending the MotoEquip products. I had a set on the RT, and we have a set for Lisa's RS.

Ray,

If you want to make your own, and want red color ( white is illegal in some states ), you can get 3M ScotchLIte in 4 inch by 60 inch rolls...

Here's what my state (Texas) has to say about this:

§ 547.353. COLOR REQUIREMENTS. (a) A clearance lamp,

identification lamp, side marker lamp, or reflector mounted on the

front, on the side near the front, or in the center of the vehicle

must be or reflect amber.

(b) A clearance lamp, identification lamp, side marker

lamp, or reflector mounted on the rear or the side near the rear of

the vehicle must be or reflect red.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Are there any precut ones available in red?

(b) A clearance lamp, identification lamp, side marker

lamp, or reflector mounted on the rear or the side near the rear of

the vehicle must be or reflect red.

If I recall when looking into this, I believe California law says you can't reflect anything except amber or red behind the rear axil. I could be wrong on the state.

I believe HindSite does make red, precut reflectors. If not, I would bet he would make you some. They are nice reflectors and many of my friends use them. Many like them because they look black during the day. That didn't matter to me.

Federal law mandates the safety reflectors for 18 wheeler trailers. They alternate red/white. I would think it would be hard to prosecute someone having a "white" reflector on the rear of the bags. Federal law supercedes state law.

Federal law supercedes state law.

I talked to a LEO and they said that the Federal Law does not supercede state law. I see this turning into a p!ssing match but that is what I was told. State Laws can supercede Federal Laws.

There are two board members here at BMWSportTouring.com who make and sell these reflective kits. We are me (motoequip.com) and Andy Sager (hindsight). Both of us make precision computer-cut kits from 3M commercial-grade 7-year reflective. And both of our kits fit beautifully. You can order from either of us with confidence. If you've seen a quality reflective kit on a BMW, chances are very good that it came from me or from Andy.

However, of the two, only HindSight currently makes kits in colors other than black or silver. If you have a need for a kit in a special color, contact HindSight.

Archived