GS mirrors on R1200RT

graemer57

Time to improve my rearward vision! Am I right in thinking one of the holes in the bar levers has to be drill/tapped to fit the mirrors? Do the mirrors foul the fairing at all on full lock? Any other tips or advice is most welcome!

I did not have to drill out the holes to install GS mirrors on my '06 RT. They do hit my windscreen just a little at full lock when the screen is in its lowest position but not enough to really matter. The mirrors just push the windscreen up not more than an inch or so. I also have a Z-technic windscreen and it’s a little larger than the stock model.

Thanks for the info..funnily enough I've got a Z-technic airsteam too..(had is sent over from the USA, one of the best mods I've made to the bike!!) How do you get on with the GS mirrors? Do you find them a worthwhile modification?? The stock mirrors aren't awful, they could just be better!

Graeme, they are worthwhile in my view, especially with a pillion! Not being rubber mounted they do vibrate, but one does get a good picture of what is behind.

Maybe a stick-on wide-angle mirror would be as good, but I picked up my 1150GS mirrors cheap from a breaker and tarted them up!

I've put stick on wedge mirrors on but its not particularly successful (in fact they are useless!!) as is difficult to get them in a position to show behind that doesnt obscure the already limited amount of view

Graeme, the mirrors on the K1200RS also fit, but totally obscure the existing mirrors - function over form this time. With GS mirrors set to view the rear traffic, I point the bike mirrors outwards to act as overtaking mirrors for those German Autobahn moments!

Graeme,

I put a set of GS mirrors on my '99RT. I removed the actual GS mirrors (glasses) and had my local glass place cut me a set of convex fisheye mirrors to fit the GS housings. A little bit of work,but the results are great. I can see anything alongside me without doing a headcheck.The stock RT mirrors cover the rest of the view behind. I change lanes with confidence and almost never get surprised with anything sneaking alongside (unless I'm having brain fade).

Thanks for the info..funnily enough I've got a Z-technic airsteam too..(had is sent over from the USA, one of the best mods I've made to the bike!!) How do you get on with the GS mirrors? Do you find them a worthwhile modification?? The stock mirrors aren't awful, they could just be better!

I prefer the GS mirrors. Never could get the feel for looking down at the mirrors on my '04RT and the new bike is not much different in that regard.

Hi Limecreek

Thanks for the reply and the pic. Would be interested to know what else you have mounted on your bars. Is one a GPS? Are they RAM mounts?

Graeme

I don't doubt for a minute that Limecreeks mirrors came off a K1200GT, they look identical to R1150GS mirrors that's all.

Graeme, what problem are you trying to solve re: the RAM mount question - mounting solutions for a GPS ++? If, so what have you got at the moment-and what problems?

Have an excellent Motoconcepts over dash GPS mount at moment was toying with getting a speed cam detector and was merely curious when i saw all the farkle on his handlebars :-)

I've got an 1100RT and a GS (among other bikes thumbsup.gif) and got tired of looking at the passenger's legs or my duffle bag in the RT's mirrors. I love the GS mirrors, but stalled at spending $150 on a set for the RT. On my 1100RT I would also have to drill out the mounting hole to fit the GS mirrors.... So on a trip last Spring I finally had enough and stopped at a Honda shop and bought a Ruckus rear-view mirror for $20, spun the nut off, stuck it through the hole, spun the nut back on (up-side-down) and presto! Great mirror, nice styling (like it better than the round GS mirror for the RT), cheap, doesn't hit the windscreen even at full lock and down (I have a Cee Bailey's +4.5):

70370002-L.jpg

It's pretty stable and it doesn't obscure the fairing-mounted mirrors at all, or obscure my sight when I'm hunkered down going fast.

Cheers!

Doug

Graeme--I really like the RAMS. They are inexpensive and are very easy to adjust. I have my 276C, V1, Roady and my bike to bike radio on RAMS. The one inch arms are my favorite for rock steady performance.

Anybody ever seen a camera mount that would fit in the same spot? I would love to be able to screw my little digital camera onto a stalk just like that mirror.

RAM makes one. It's a stalk with the ball on the end. You'll need to purchase that, an arm and their camera attachment.

Do you have a part# or link? I have looked at the RAM stuff before but don't see anything like a mirror stalk. I was just going to go get a mirror w/ stalk to fit the RT, remove the mirror, and contact cement / epoxy a camera mount to the stalk but figured somebody like RAM would have one already. I guess the RT is kinda unique in that it has mirrors so you can use the traditional mirror stock for a mount, otherwise wouldn't be a big demand for such a product.

Here's what I'd like, and yes I'm a graphic artist by trade. wink.gif

124121741-L.jpg

Here is what I did to keep my GS mirrors from hitting the Vstream.

mirrors002Small.jpg

Doug,

I like the looks of that Honda Ruckus mirror. Do you have a part number or anything so I can look for a set online?

Since I'm looking online, would someone please tell me what size the mounting hole on the RT is? I'd guess 10 or 8mm, but I'm not sure.

Jim

Archived