IGNORED

Reading glasses

mswanton

OK, I'm 54 years old and need reading glasses just like everyone else my age. But with a flip up helmet they are even more of a pain to use.

So I'm thinking of cutting the lenses out of a cheep pair of glasses and triming them a bit and super glueing them to the bottom of my face shield.

Has anyone else tried this? Should I go for a pattent?

Maybe I'll start off with a hot glue gun.

I tried using stick on Optix lenses on my face shield... it didn't work for me.

Similarly, lenses attached to the face shield might need some reengineering because they are not close to the eyes (your normal reading prescription probably won't work)

I've been using small glasses from http://www.i4ulenses.com/test.htm (be sure to scroll down on the home page)

Their testimonial page shows a guy using these tiny glasses with his helmet http://www.i4ulenses.com/test.htm

I hope this helps.

I recently purchased the i4U lenses at my local BMW bike shop & they work great.

I have had to buy another 6 lenses for my friends after they tried mine on.

What a great product.

I put them in my wallet so they are always handy.

thumbsup.gif

I recently purchased the i4U lenses at my local BMW bike shop & they work great.

I have had to buy another 6 lenses for my friends after they tried mine on.

What a great product.

I put them in my wallet so they are always handy.

thumbsup.gif

I have these nose pinch glasses also. Got mine from www.peeperspecs.com. Love them....have 3 pair.....all over the place...they are credit card thin and are terrific.

I keep a pair in my bike jacket inside pocket....always handy and you never know they are there until you want them.

$3.00 find them here

Jerry Johnston

The only way I could see your idea working is if you use a fresnel lens like they use in overhead projectors and sometimes in the rear window of campers. It could be cut (it's plastic) bent and glued to the bottom of your visor.

It would be poss. to cut about a 1.5" strip of it that you'd use to read maps but no longer would you be able to see your instruments with-out bending your head down.

Just a note. The lenses from i4uLenses and the ones from Peeperspecs are similar but different products. The i4uLenses are even smaller because of the bridge mechanism.

Thank you all for the help.

I've ordered the i4ulenes and the 800 peepers. I'll do a side by side comparison and report back here.

Mike

Just a note. The lenses from i4uLenses and the ones from Peeperspecs are similar but different products. The i4uLenses are even smaller because of the bridge mechanism.

Yup, thanks, saw that. Thanks for posting the note.

I actually like the Peeperspecs cause even though they are small it's a full round lens; more room for looking through. It seems the i4u's have an adjustable bridge piece whereas the peeperspecs bridgepiece just stretches to fit your nose then retracts back when you take them off.

Nice to have options.

Laura,

Actually the smaller lenses are the reason I like the i4uLenses. I use them on the bike at night so I can read my instruments/GPS, and it's easy to look over them for the road while riding.

The bridge design on the i4uLenses is interesting, it's a flexible spring that you bend to whatever tension you like, and it basically stays there. So you can adjust easily for comfort.

As a SCUBA Diver, I’ve seen reading magnifiers that stick to the inside of diving masks. I see no reason why these devices wouldn’t transfer to a motorcycle helmet shield. However, I can’t find them on the net. The ones I’ve seen were instore, at Dolphin SCUBA in Sacramento, CA, but not on their online catalog for whatever reason.

I don't know enough about dive masks to comment yet, but one thing to consider could be the angle of the helmet visor compared to the dive mask shield, and the effect on lenses stuck to them.

I just tried the Optx reading lenses again on my helmet visor again. They are 1.2" diameter, versus the 1.6" diameter of the DiveOptx lenses. I wasn't able to find any position on my Concept helmet where the lenses worked for me. It was certainly worth a try.

I got a pair of the peepers 800 and a pair of the i4u. I have to say that the i4u is a much better product. I also got the high power mag from i4u (eyes for you) which will come in handy the next time i need to see something that is only 5" from my nose.

Thanks for the help

Mike

I got a pair of the peepers 800 and a pair of the i4u. I have to say that the i4u is a much better product. I also got the high power mag from i4u (eyes for you) which will come in handy the next time i need to see something that is only 5" from my nose.

Thanks for the help

Mike

That's great to know. My only experiencee is with the peepers and for $3.00 I bought 1/2 dozen and they're all over the place. They've already paid for themselves.

I think perhaps I'll order at least one pair of the I4u's just to see the difference.

Archived