IGNORED

The Worlds' Fastest Indian

drodg

Having owned the CD for a few months and with snow flying outside I thought it's time to throw in the World's Fastest Indian and watch it. What a great movie! I know this has been out for awhile but if you haven't seen it go rent it. It's too bad it didn't have a wide release in all movie theatres.

drodg,

Yep, a really great movie. Even my wife liked it after I made her watch it with me.

She NEVER likes my movie choices, but she did like this one.

AD

Be sure to go into the bonus features section of the DVD and watch the original movie "Offerings to the God's of Speed" (or something similar) also....interesting how much of the movie character if based on the real Burt Monroe.

I got my copy as an Xmas gift from the kids. Probably one of the better gifts I received this Xmas. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

Ditto on the christmas gift. That and my new helmet, were the two better gifts I received as well.

I enjoyed the movie and actually lent it to my father-in-law as the story goes beyond just motorcycling.

Mike O

drodg,

Yep, a really great movie. Even my wife liked it after I made her watch it with me.

My wife bought it for me and really didn't want to watch it. She did and she loved the movie. She and I realized how much I didn't know about the Bonneville salt flats and the speed record trials. I also thought the relationship between Anthony Hopkins and young boy next door was great.

She NEVER likes my movie choices, but she did like this one.

AD

I agree. The added (news clip) of the real Burt Munro was great. Anthony Perkins did an outstanding job matching Burt's character.

Sir Anthony Hopkins not Perkins. (great movie)

Ian thumbsup.gif

I loved this movie as well. I dont own it on DVD YET! I am now the proud owner of the, "Long Way Round" DVD. One of my favorites. I cant get enough of it.

We've got at least 2 copies of Long Way Round, and I gave The World's Fastest Indian to my Mister for his birthday (last JUNE)... we finally watched it in November I think... and he (surprise) enjoyed it! I saw it in the theater with friends, he couldn't go at the time, and I couldn't get him to buy into it being a good movie. Highly recommended...

Yup, great movie and Sir Anthony Hopkins did a fantastic job as Burt Munro. Another motorcycle friend and I took our wives to the theater to see it and they loved it! So much so that my wife rented it for a girl friends movie nite and they all loved it! thumbsup.gif

Well kids, I got to meet Sir Anthony in Wendover UT (Bonneville) during the filming of "The World's Fastest Indian". What a personality, a great choice for this film. Most of the events in the film are factual, albiet somewhat changed for mainstream filmgoers:

As a racer on the salt,I can tell you that most people do not even have the slightest idea of the effort it takes to do this type of stuff. You decide you want to race . You build your vehicle, hours and hours worth of labor. You pay your entry fees. You trailer your vehicle to the event, usually hours of driving gets you there. Technical inspection by the racing authority happens,if all is OK then you are granted the opportunity to make a series of licencing passes. (If the weather cooperates, you run your vehicle.) After licencing you may run the full course. If you run a speed over the established record, you are awarded an opportunity to race again for the record. (2) runs over a 5 mile course gets you the record. Maybe the weather gods allow you no wind and a great course.

Bonneville is like no other place on earth.

For all that have never been, make a point to go.

You will meet the best racers and experience racing as it used to be.

Nascar this Isn't!

MB>

When is Speedweek? Seeing the movie has raised my interest. I am a huge fan of racing over the years and realized I know nothing about Bonneville.

I am now the proud owner of the, "Long Way Round" DVD. One of my favorites. I cant get enough of it.

I hope the DVD is better than the book. It was OK, but had way too much profanity for me to recommend it. Not a keeper.

Jay

• 11 months later...

Fantastic movie and one that I recommend highly to others. I really enjoyed it and also took the time afterward to learn about the real story. I could watch this movie over and over again. thumbsup.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

It's on my Christms list s well. If I don't get it, I'm ordering it online. I've herd nothing but rave reviws on it, even from non bikers.

I think he actually sold that (along with his name) to the town of Jim Thorpe, PA.

There's a memorial there and some other things but it was a kind of goofy deal.

Some of the other folks in the area there may be able to elaborate...

I think he actually sold that (along with his name) to the town of Jim Thorpe, PA.

There's a memorial there and some other things but it was a kind of goofy deal.

Some of the other folks in the area there may be able to elaborate...

Everything in Jim Thorpe is goofy. Including all the @#$$ing tourists that clog up the beautifull roads.

Here is the actual story of how the town got its name. I didn't know all the details, but I knew it was more or less a desperate attempt to attract tourists in order to save a run down coal mining town. Its a neat place to see, but the novelty wears off quickly..........like when your stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of nowhere

Jim Thorpe Story

Having owned the CD for a few months and with snow flying outside I thought it's time to throw in the World's Fastest Indian and watch it. What a great movie! I know this has been out for awhile but if you haven't seen it go rent it. It's too bad it didn't have a wide release in all movie theatres.

Funny this subject should come up. I just bought the DVD for my son, who just got his MC license (and a Suzuki sv650). I RARELY watch movies, but this one is a good one.

There was a lot to like about this film. I particularly liked the shed scenes. It reminded me of several craftsmen I knew through the years in Kansas and New Hampshire who spent countless hours fabricating and shaping gears and crafting parts that were superior to the stock items. Guys with leather aprons and three phase lathes and a wood stove and a few old school bus seats. Every once in a while, someone had a little moonshine or some grain alcohol concoction just to sweeten the coffee. Yup -- the film brought back a lot of sweet memories. I think I'll head into the shop, crank up the propane heater, and work on one of my never-ending projects.

Ride safe,

Bob

Archived