IGNORED

Looking For The Old Man

TEWKS

This is the spot where countless photos have been snapped of the profile of the Old Man of The Mountain in Franconia Notch State Park NH.

100_0686.jpg

May 2003, gravity took its toll. This is all that remains of the poor old guy.

100_0685.jpg

OK, so after drying our tears (just kidding) we decided to find some dirt. This is on Sandwichnotch Road.

100_0680.jpg

These were on Old Cherry Mountain Road, just South of Jefferson NH . I'm the one with the black stitch.

100_0699.jpg

100_0697.jpg

100_0696.jpg

These are along Rt 302 looking east towards Crawford Notch

100_0702.jpg

100_0701.jpg

Jefferson Notch Road

100_0705.jpg

Rte. 2 Jefferson, NH (Home of Santa's Village)

100_0707.jpg

We stopped at the Yankee Smokehouse for lunch. It is located at the intersection of Rt's 25/16 in West Ossipee NH. The food was very good, the bbq chicken is tops.

100_0711.jpg

100_0708.jpg

100_0692.jpg

100_0711.jpg

Pat

Great stuff My Grandfather and I used to travel all around that area rockhounding he lived in Jackson I took my wife there after the MOA this year hadn't been since 79. We had a ball.Thanks.

Pat,

Great riding area and great pictures. Now, slight hijack. A few years ago my wife and I did a ride with several other couples through New England. We, of course, stopped at Franconia and took some obligatory shots of the old man. The next year we heard the news that the old man had collapsed.

That next year we were on vacation in Aruba. At that time there was a famous bit of topography known as the natural bridge (http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/sights/natural_bridge.html) which we also visited and photographed. The following year this icon of the area collapsed as well.

We are now fearful of visiting other monuments in case we're somehow the typhoid Mary's of geology. grin.gif

Thanks for the nice words. This ride took quite some time to post because the pictures were lost in computer land. We didn't ride the kancamagus hwy on that trip, but is a very worthy ride. Al, do you plan on visiting the Grand Canyon anytime soon? smirk.gif

Pat

Archived