Is this start up sound "normal"

chat_vmax

This is my first BMW and i am wondering

I have a 2004 RT with 23k on her,, when I first cold start her i get a ,, well knock is a strong word,, but a louder than normal bumping in the bottom end for a split second or 2 and then all is fine.. is that a notmal sound for a beamer...??

no matter what it Never ever males this noise, or any other after a second or so....? Im guyssing its a normal sound for the beast....

As David said, it is normal, and harmless. However there is an updated tensioner that will eliminate, or at least greatly reduce the noise. If you want to spend the $$ for what is really only an annoyance.

Normal. If it also is noisy at at idle when warm you can get the updated tensioner that someone mentioned prior and it will greatly reduce that noise as well. I think it cost me about $35 for the parts, installation in about half hour.

A lot of them do it, but I'm not sure that it is as harmless as people think. I have seen several stories of broken cam chain rails recently on the internet. I can't imagine that chain slapping around in there on every start up is very good for the plastic rails. I put the updated tensioner in both my bikes. Ahh, the sound of silence.

Check here for an outstanding write up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69360&highlight=tensioner

I find on my '02 1150 - this knock is MUCH more pronounced when it's a tad low on oil. Check your sightglass, just to be sure, would be my humble opinion.

Archived