IGNORED

longevity of my 96 r1100rt

haildamage

hey guys,

i have a 96 r 1100 rt with 48,000 miles on it. i bought it with 32,000 so i've done about 16,000 in the last 15 months. i'll probably exceed that mileage in the coming year.it runs really smoothly and doesn't have any problems.

it's about due for new shocks which won't be cheap. any suggestions on that for a bike like mine?

also, how many miles can i expect to get out of this bike, and what major expenditures can i expect to need to dish out for in the not so distant future (clutch, etc.)

thanks

The engines seem to keep going for ever, the gearboxes can give problems but seldom terminal. Clutch wear depends on the rider - I got through one in 30k miles, most people can get 100k out of them.

Andy

A good friend has a 96 that runs like a top having just turned 105K on the odo. Never has touched the clutch, or final drive other than normal mntc. Do the mntc/inspections, stay on top of stuff without getting too anal and ride it. thumbsup.gif

My cousin has a '97 that has somethinlg like 180,000 miles on now. The engine has been solid. The transmission had the damping spring type of assembly fail around 110,000. (It was a wierd type of thing that looked like about 1000 rounds of safety wire wrapped around the shaft. The original spring type was put back in.) He fixed it himself. Still has the original driveshaft, rear end and the rest of the running gear. He's gone through two sets of the front brake disc mounting buttons but has the original discs on it, as far as I know.

He told me it's been about 50,000 miles since he's checked the valve adjustment (I cringe). The wierdest thing has been two coil failures. They aren't all that expensive, so he's carrying a spare with him now- that insures that it won't ever happen again.

Frank

Koni....Wilbers (?SP) or Ohlins ($$) for shocks.

Bet you get lots of looks on that bike over there....

Others have already contributed about the rest of your concerns...and there pretty much spot on. Best of luck to you.

Pat

I have a 96 with 150,000 miles. Clutch was replaced at abut 85,000 and the transmission at 100,000 miles. I had a factory rebuilt unit installed and it begain to fail at 145,000. I was able to get it diagnosed without getting stranded. The diagnosis was the factory did not install the circular clip and shims for the input shaft bearing thereby causing the bearing to fail.

The first final drive failed at 62,000 miles. I had a new one installed that failed at 148,000 miles. I suspect that they didn't get the pre-load set right at the factory. I had it rebuilt by a wrench who knows how to not only re-build but more importantly to set the pre-load. One can be pre-emptive with the final drive by having it rebuilt before it fails. Some say 65,000 to 80,000 IMHO. YMMV. Good luck

yeah, a lot of people here seem surprised that BMW makes bikes. old men especially like to gawk at it. i love showing them the windsheild and stereo.

thanks for all the input. i love the bike and now i feel more comfortable spending the bucks for some new shocks.

Others have already contributed about the rest of your concerns...and there pretty much spot on. Best of luck to you.

Pat

These are great shocks and will cost lots of $ to purchase. If you want a cheaper alternative look for low mileage stockers. Ebay often has them. I'll bet that some of the members of this board have good used ones laying around. (Not me, I put 36000 on them before I bought the Ohlins)

Fellow in Sacramento,Ca. has over 240,000 miles on his R1100GS. Calls it ROBOBYK. I know he's had several major problems but they were all fixable.

Pat

These are great shocks and will cost lots of $ to purchase. If you want a cheaper alternative look for low mileage stockers. Ebay often has them. I'll bet that some of the members of this board have good used ones laying around. (Not me, I put 36000 on them before I bought the Ohlins)

i may check into getting wilbers over here. i want something good but a little cheaper than ohlins would be nice!

Archived