Electrifying an ST

Firefight911

So, what do ya do when you farkle your bike to the point that you need to get a fuse block for your XM, GPS, Motologhts, MP3, Baehr Comm., Two (2) Gerbing permanent controllers, a Mix-It 2 Amp, and a partidge in a pear tree?

You have fun! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Let's see, this is the project that began at the N. Cal Tech Daze the last weekend in October and took me until December to finish!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Yea, yea, yea, I know!! But that's what happens when you have a grand total of 4 days off in November and not many more than that in December. Oh well, I'm much betta!!!!

So, Jamie and I had Richard and Cheryl up for the weekend so the two girls could hang out (Richard and I) and the guys could go shopping (Jamie and Cheryl).

Here's Richard hard at work on electrifying the tank bag.

117983923-M.jpg

Notice the mode of transport! See how the bag mounts are concealed!!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

117983988-M.jpg

117984202-M.jpg

The patient, laid bare

117983904-M.jpg

117983916-M.jpg

Powerlet connection for tank bag

117983944-M.jpg

117983955-M.jpg

XM power supply went under the left fairing panel

117984145-M.jpg

Power connection and various audio leads for connection to Mix-It 2 Amp inside tank bag

117984171-M.jpg

When I bought my Baehr Verso, I never thought I would want to add more than one audio input! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif The Mix-It 2 Amp provided a way for me to add 4 inputs (2 mono (one of which is priority) and 2 stereo). This is not the recommended method of getting all the inputs BUT I didn't want to go buy another comm system ssooooooooooooooo.......

117984191-M.jpg

Wires everywhere!!!!!

123254242-M.jpg

Wilbers shocks and fuse blocks!!!!!

123254222-M.jpg

Power relay hooked up on the same bolt that holds the rear brake reservoir.

123254263-M.jpg

123254306-M.jpg

Note the helmet hook ups on the right. This is where the helmets hook to the Baehr Comm. I shrink wrapped the respective driver/passenger Gerbing leads with the headset connections for ease.

123254282-M.jpg

123254326-M.jpg

Anal retentive clean!! Just the way I like it!!! All the leads are labeled.

From the top down:

Gerbing Driver

Gerbing Passenger

Tankbag power

Autoswitch for Motolights

Motolights

123254370-M.jpg

The final look. All leads are hidden and terminate with just enough length for the connection to the tank bag, GPS, and XM

123254394-M.jpg

123254422-M.jpg

123254445-M.jpg

2 permanent Gerbing controllers installed to left fairing panel along with an additional accessory socket, just in case.

123254458-M.jpg

123254435-M.jpg

Awwwww, now isn't that sweet!!!!!

117984220-M.jpg

Special thanks to Richard and Cheryl for giving up a weekend to hang with us crazy nut heads!!!!!! Richard, you rock. He went and did all the shopping for the parts I needed before hand!!!!! WooHoo!!!!! We only had to make three trips to Radio Shack!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The XM is mounted using a TechMount along with the accessory plate. Very clean, very stable.

XM power supply was just the accessory socket job, taken apart and placed into a Radio Shack job box.

117984134-M.jpg

117984145-M.jpg

The XM antenna is hidden under the right fairing panel. So far, excellent signal strength and only a couple instances of losing the signal. I'll monitor a little longer to see if there is any need to move the antenna.

Oh, and heaven forbid I forget to give thanks to my lovely assistant/bride Jamie. She was such a trooper. The longer this project took, the crankier I got since I couldn't ride.

She came out to the garage, jumped in and really helped finish the project.

She learned how to splice wires, solder, run electrical, etc., etc. She even said she had fun!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Me thinks she wants something for all her efforts!!!!!

117984524-M-1.jpg

As a review of the audio system, the addition of the Mix It 2 has added some needed volume to the helmet speakers. We ride with ear plugs so that along with the fact we have the speakers and not ear buds makes volume an issue at "higher" speeds grin.gif. Now, all sources can be heard fine at speed and lowered at crawl.

The priority mono input works great! I have my GPS in to this port as I don't run a V1. When a voice signal comes through the volume drops immediately and then returns just as fast.

Thanks to Jamie (KMG365) for helping on the XM mounting to the accessory plate, Richard for the technical/supply/friendship assistance, Cheryl for the laughs and good times had with Jamie (2bmwrfan), Fernando for the help with troubleshooting the ground loop isolation issue I had, and Michael (SageRider) for the bike to bike soultion brainstorming.

A true BMWST.com project if ever there was one!

Thanks to all for helping! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Nice work (and disgustingly clean, but that's another subject tongue.gif)!

Power connection and various audio leads for connection to Mix-It 2 Amp inside tank bag

117984171-M.jpg

What did you use to seal the hole where the leads enter/exit the tankbag? Kinda looks like a grommet and some silicone, but I can't tell. I might need to do the same on my bag, but I'd like to have an idea of how to fill the hole before I make it. eek.gifgrin.gif

We used some rubber grommets (easily sourced in multiple sizes at Radio Shack) along with some coax weather seal that Richard had with him. It is essentially a non hardening putty that provides a weather seal.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
We used some rubber grommets (easily sourced in multiple sizes at Radio Shack) along with some coax weather seal that Richard had with him. It is essentially a non hardening putty that provides a weather seal.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

That's cool. I'm working on a similar (but considerably less anal-retentive) solution on the Tuono. I've got power coming in via a powerlet setup like what you did. Then I've got audio from the V1 and PTT (I'm currently using the AutoCom PTT but I'm considering using This one from AirRider or something similar) that needs to get into the bag and your solution would work perfectly for that.

I did a similar job on my GF's ST.

Tinas-Wiring.jpg

Nice work man! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Can I assume that the position of that fuse block clears the seat sufficiently and doesn't hit it?

Very nice installation. I'm hoping mine comes out that nice! Putting in a Centec next week.

AD

[quoteCan I assume that the position of that fuse block clears the seat sufficiently and doesn't hit it?

No issue with the seat and the fuse block itself. One thing I had to do was angle the wires a little bit toward the shock as they came very close to the rear seat pan tabs when I slid it in place. Other than that, no touching anywhere. thumbsup.gif

Man, I'm impressed! That's some nice work.

I was wondering, though.

What's the load capacity of your EZ-Up? lmao.gif

117983923-M.jpg

Exceeded!!!! I'd tell you but I had to throw it away after the weekend as the metal was bent and the cylinder leaked!! lmao.gifgrin.gifeek.gif

123254370-M.jpg

123254458-M.jpg

I used the same fuse block in the same position on my ST. Although looking at your wiring makes me feel icky when I think of mine.

Do you ever use the bars in the low position? When I do my fingertips sometimes come in contact with the tupperwear below the bars. I imagine those knobs might get in the way.

Dang it! Another winter project I have no time for... eek.gif

Hey Richard! If Sally and I ply you and Cheryl with fine wines and gourmet food and a place to stay overnight in the wine country, do you think I could talk you into wiring my ST?

I promise not to kiss you, and you won't have to sleep out in the barn with Ulysses. lmao.gif

• 5 weeks later...
Dang it! Another winter project I have no time for... eek.gif

Hey Richard! If Sally and I ply you and Cheryl with fine wines and gourmet food and a place to stay overnight in the wine country, do you think I could talk you into wiring my ST?

I promise not to kiss you, and you won't have to sleep out in the barn with Ulysses. lmao.gif

I just came across this thread! I'm all up for that!

Heck, I might even give Ulysses a shot!!! (After Whip's dogs, it couldn't be so bad!)

I'm in!

Let me know when?

Man, I'm impressed! That's some nice work.

I was wondering, though.

What's the load capacity of your EZ-Up? lmao.gif

117983923-M.jpg

Exceeded!!!! I'd tell you but I had to throw it away after the weekend as the metal was bent and the cylinder leaked!! lmao.gifgrin.gifeek.gif

Now that is gratefulness at its highest level!

I couldn't hang out and check for this thread, and when I finally go searching for it, this is what I get!!!

As for you Danny, I can't wait for you to come out west.

• 8 months later...

You noted that your XM antenna is under the right side fairing. I was wondering which XM antenna you have? Is it the little about 1" square unit (aka the car antenna) or something different? I thought it had to have a "clear view" of the sky!

Thanks,

Yes, it is the little 1" square car antenna that comes with the kit.

Reception has been perfect. Thought I had an issue at one point but found that I had not made a good connection to the mount.

Clear view not needed! thumbsup.gif

Archived