IGNORED

The R1200ST and the Corsa IIIs

NakedRider

Just had the most interesting experience -

I've read several forums where people have ridden the new R1200ST and complained about the "hinge at the middle" handling. Several owners usually chime in and say theirs is solid as a rock and suggest everything from tire pressure changes to suspention set up. Both not bad suggestions.

I've now been in both camps...on the same bike!! Since my bike was new it had a tendency to tuck the front end when you initiated a turn. Many times if you hit a mid-turn dip it would also tuck. I've been trying to ride around this by keeping the front end unweighted and it works to a point. High speed sweepers were never an issue. Just initial turn in and mid-turn dips.

I remember a member of another forum recommending the Parellies. I've never tried them on any bike before this past Thursday when I had them installed on my ST.

Two canyon rides later I still can't believe this is the same bike. The front end tuck is 100% gone!

I now believe both camps. Those that have a problem with the handling because I did too and those who claim their bike is steady as a rock because mine is now as well. You would never believe a change in tire type would be this dramatic.

I had been running Metzeler M3s. I loved the grip these tires had at extreme lean but they didn't seem to maintain the same level of grip as they aged. IMO the BT-14s age better.

Anyway, I thought I would share this since many members on this board have ridden the ST and had one impression or the other and now I know, for sure, both are correct.

Try different tires if you have a handling problem. It worked for me. Now I'll see how well these things age.

clap.gif

I was waiting for you to post this!!!!

Little birdie let me in on what you had done and had told me you were VERY happy!!

Kudos on the write up.

I will be very interested to hear more details as they were; longevity, grip, characterisitcs, wet weather, etc.

Thanks! wave.gif

Phil,

I've already tested the grip in 30 degree temps yesterday on 193 past Georgetown (Chili Bar). The grip and confidence is outstanding. I scrubbed the tires all the way to the end and you know how cold it is right now. There are no strips left on the rear.

I went up to Berryessa today with some sport bike riders and found the bike very well planted up there as well. Only wet riding so far was a little bit up on highway 49 but it wasn't that twisty so it wasn't that much of a test.

I just can't believe how these Corsas changed the bike. Total confidence now.

Mine came with Metzeler Z6's and I didn't like them. Never felt planted like you say. After a crash that I attribute a good part to those tires, I put some Michelin Pilot Powers on. Same difference you spoke of- night and day- and got my confidence back in the bike. I am running the Pilot Power on the front and Pilot Road on the rear because 2500 miles to wear out a rear just isn't enough. They should wear out at about the same time now.

Besides, you've got the best color combo, too.

Frank

I guess I'm not sure exactly what issue is being discused here. Can someone explain the symptoms?

I have an ST with Z6s. There is some strange behavior I've noted but nothing that's been scary yet. Just thought it was a characteristic of the bike. This is my first bike with telelever.

I've seen the same thing happen with theZ6's and have sworn never to run them again. I found that the when there's a bit of wear on the tyres (both) and as the rear begins to flatten out and the front feather, the drop in when initiating a turn was bad, with 4k miles the bike would wobble too.

I find the changing the tyres in pairs works, more so for the front than the rear, with the front 'looking' like it was only marginally worn, it was begining to lose rubber on the sides.

I've switched to Bridgestone BT020's and my next pair will be the Conti Road attack (based on info from this forum) to try out.

I advise all my biking budies to change in pairs every time, as a result. (NB, R1100S did not wear the front tyre this way, but RS did)

I've seen the same thing happen with theZ6's and have sworn never to run them again. I found that the when there's a bit of wear on the tyres (both) and as the rear begins to flatten out and the front feather, the drop in when initiating a turn was bad, with 4k miles the bike would wobble too.

I find the changing the tyres in pairs works, more so for the front than the rear, with the front 'looking' like it was only marginally worn, it was begining to lose rubber on the sides.

I've switched to Bridgestone BT020's and my next pair will be the Conti Road attack (based on info from this forum) to try out.

I advise all my biking budies to change in pairs every time, as a result. (NB, R1100S did not wear the front tyre this way, but RS did)

Craig,

Are you saying with every change of the rear you also change the front even if it's the same brand? Interesting food for thought.

Dan, my experience with the Z6's on my ST was only 2500 miles worth. I didn't have a problem with them at higher speeds. The worst was at low speeds, 30 mph plus and minus. The bike was falling into the turns and just didn't give me the confidence to turn it like I want. Always felt like a lack of traction.

The crash I talked about happened while making a quick transition from right to left. The rear stepped out on the left and when I corrected I was going off the road, into a culvert about four feet deep. I was lucky that I landed in some mud and tall grass. There might have been something on the road to cause that, but I didn't see anything at the time. The maneuver wasn't anything I would condsider radical and was just "sporting" in my book. I would guesstimate that it occurred at something like 30 mph.

After putting the Pilot Powers on and riding it a little, I could tell the bike handled differently and definitely better. I went through that set and and another before putting the Power front/Road rear combo on. Hasn't seemed to change any in the switch.

Frank

Nakedrider:- Yep, every time. Have done since my RS days 10 years ago, which wears away the tyres the same way the ST does.

I was tempted to change my routine with the S, but a new front makes the bike feel so nimble again I just continued changin in pairs. This way you get more pleasruable miles rather than having to suffer a drop in handling performance as the tyres wear down. It's a small price to pay to keep it sharp. At least until I can justify the Ohlins!

having had an rs and now an rt, i believe the rs and probably your st's are more sensitive to tire flattening because the narrow bars don't give you as much leverage as the wider rt bars. as a result, you notice it more. and, unless you have ridden an airhead rs with those skinny little tires with about 4,000 miles on them, you don't really know about tuck in. don't forget that any bike feels new when you swap the tires out.

tom collins

unless you have ridden an airhead rs with those skinny little tires with about 4,000 miles on them, you don't really know about tuck in.

+1 My '82 R100RS resembled that remark. grin.gif

Archived