IGNORED

oil leak

voyageurs

i ride a '99 r1100rt. i have an oil leak from the oiler filler cap that i cannot stop. i have replaced the gasket to the screw on cap. has anyone ever replace the plastic piece that the cap goes into? and how do you get the old plastic out? i have checked the cap, and it does not seem cracked or chipped.

the leak is enough to fill the fins to the rear of the filler cap in about 7 days of riding. then it runs down to the bottom of the engine and starts to lightly mist the left saddle bag. this is a minor irritation, but for long trips it will become a problem.

thanks for your help,

bob

There is also an o-ring under the plastic insert. To remove it, just put your finger into it and pull it out - it is fairly tight. If this proves too tight on your bike, remove the valve cover and push put from inside. Dry the valve cover gasket and it can be re-used many times.

Andy

There is also an o-ring under the plastic insert

While you have the O ring out examine the groove it was in. Sometimes there is a little bit of plastic sticking up causing the O ring to not seal.

Stan

thank you everyone for your help. it is so nice to post here and get replies that give you answers to your problems. i will be ordering the parts and installing them and hopefully that will solve the oil problem.

again, thanks,

bob

Archived