IGNORED

Best place to get keyed power on a R1200/RT

BigChill

Hi Gang,

I am sure this has been answered before, but I have not been able to find it frown.gif

I am planning on installing a remote fuse panel and want to know the best place to get power controlled by the ignition key.

I don't want to use Scotch Locks to (cringe) tap into a wire. I would also prefer not to splice a wire with a solder connection. A handy place to plug in with the source of a connector is the best solution, but I will adapt and improvise to do the best I can.

Thanks,

Willie

Run down to your local BMW dealer and get the piggyback adapter that will hook in-line with your existing accessory port.

I used this to add a second accessory socket at the front of my ST and am also using it to power my power relay that controls power to my Centech fuse block.

Plug and play and puts the leads right where you need them. thumbsup.gif

Let me know if you need any more info. I might be able to get a picture or two of my set up for ya!

"Run down to your local BMW dealer and get the piggyback adapter that will hook in-line with your existing accessory port."

Phil what is the part # for this part? My dealer doesn't keep anything is stock and it is a ways to visit him.

Mark

I just ordered one from Irv Seaver. I will post the part number when I pick it up on Tuesday. Note that it is depends on the model year. There are at least 2 connectors used on the accessory ports. The cable I purchased looks like it is designed to go between the left rear socket to an optional socket on the right side.

I intend to cut off the proprietary connector and using an Anderson Power Pole connector in it's place.

Willie

"Run down to your local BMW dealer and get the piggyback adapter that will hook in-line with your existing accessory port."

Phil what is the part # for this part? My dealer doesn't keep anything is stock and it is a ways to visit him.

Mark

I'll look to see if I can find it. I've had it in place for about a year so I may have to dig a bit for the info. wave.gif

The part # for the additional cable BigChill described is 71607685624. $25.39. If you look at the picture at your dealer, you'll see this is probably what you want.

The part # for the additional cable BigChill described is 71607685624. $25.39. If you look at the picture at your dealer, you'll see this is probably what you want.

Thanks! Haven't gotten around to finding my receipt!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I've been searching for that same cable and found a dealer online that has them.

Found it on hammersley site (Webparts.com) they have online fiche and I've had luck locating pretty much anything I've looked for. Anyway - if your dealer is a long ride and you're looking for the cable check them out.

...this concludes this unpaid advertisement. cool.gif

OK I'm getting a little confused (not that tough really grin.gif). Anyone who can clear this up I'm all ears.

First, I looked at the part on the Hamersley site but the parts fische doesn't mention anyting about the wire being a replacement for the existing one. Do you guys who are using this have RT's without the accessory plug? If so I can see what you're doing but if you do have the accy plug how do you know that the cable shown is not just a replacement cable for the one that's already there?

Second, the cable appears to have a plug on the unused side. Are you simply cutting the plug off or is there a connector that fits that too.

Sorry to muck up the situation here but I'm gathering parts and information too and don't want to wind up with a shock on my hands (sorry dopeslap.gif). Thanks in advance.

On my 12RT, I removed the left side panel and clipped the + & - cable from my GPS into the power feeding the fairings power outlet. I used blue quick connects that don't require soldering. Just sqeeze them with pliers. The BMW power outlet turns off with the key after approx 10 seconds. Works great. Fast, easy install.

Archived