IGNORED

Did I say it's HOT?

Kathy R

Monday the 10th – we awake in a Ramada, just West of Asheville, NC.

Blue sky – hot – slab it to the ocean…for fun, we passed ALL cruisers at Mach speed…and we are now entering the arena of humid….and we will find ourselves stopping at times every hour just to down a bottle of Gatorade. This day was longer than we anticipated. We followed I40 East to 64 and then down 12 to Cape Hattaras. We were flying along………and then I hear something and look to my left……oohhh oooh…….the blue car we passed a bit ago…….very tinted windows….oh, lights flashing……..ooohhh ohhh….” Laney, this guy has sirens and I think you should pull over. “ By the time I pull up the cop is already walking back to the car. He told Laney “ The speed limit is not 80, or 70, it’s 50 and it’s that way all the way to the shore, slow down”. I flash him everything I can think of……(no, not that!) …..The OK sign, The Thumbs Up sign…and he pulls away. OK, we really slow down..for awhile wink.gif

The V-1 does not work if you pass the cop……I laughed for 10 miles.

Finally, we arrive at the Cape and the KOA.

We put up our tents, stopping to take pictures of an incredible RED setting sun. Dinner was popcorn and a couple of beers– perfect girl food. Slept like a log, literally.

Tuesday the 11th – we awake at 5:15 (me) 5:30 (Laney)….crawl out of the tents…and slip our sandals on and walk to the beach. We were both swimming as the RED sun rose….it was magical…….my favorite time of day. We finally wandered back to the tent for our suits ( yeah, we dove into the waves in our jammies wink.gif ) We ate breakfast at the KOA café, great place by the way, and wandered back to the beach for a long walk…couple of hours…..barefoot in the surf. Ok, we have died and gone to heaven for sure.

We were packed up and on the bikes by 11:15am and heading north towards the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. We stopped in Nags Head for a wonderful cup of crab soup and our 450th glass of water on this adventure. Have I said it’s HOT? The bridge was $10 per bike (choke) and awesome. We stopped at a pull off and asked a fellow touristo to take our pictures with my snail camera. (pictures in our lifetimes). I do wish we could have gotten a shot of the bridge where as you ride along on top you see the bridge just disappear for a stretch and then reappear a few hundred yards later……..it’s spooky. The tunnel is well lit, so no worries about tinted visors.

We continued northward on the VA tip of the peninsula…….crawling along at 5mph over posted…….knowing that the V-1’s would be confiscated. We arrived in Pocomoke, Maryland and called it a day at what turned out to be a sortof seedy Days Inn. I eventually had to call the O to get them to round up the young hoodlums outside. The local accents coupled with the profanity were just too much to bear. Oh …. Beer and chips and salsa….the dinner of tired girls….and we once again were buried in our pillows.

Wednesday the 12th. We are up early……..and at a suggestion from Yoda we head to Ocean City MD for breakfast. What a great idea that turned out to be…..yup….we had left the overpants with the bikes………ate breakfast at a little café on the boardwalk and soon were in the surf up to our knees. WhooooooHOOOOOOOO the water is COLDER…..but refreshing beyond belief.

Back on the bikes and headed for a rendevous with her brother, Gary, at St. Michaels, MD….And since we are running late…….and the roads are perfectly paved……..V-1’s and triple digits…..and besides, we hadn’t been stopped for over a day (giggle). St. Michaels was a delight…crab cakes and chocolate icecream……..YUM…..and Laney’s brother is a great guy on a Harley…..a Springer!!!! Have I mentioned that it’s HOT? wink.gif About 20 minutes from Gary’s home we stop for Gatorade and I can’t take the distraction anymore….the overpants came off and I rode in shorts. I did keep the First Gear Mesh Tech jacket on, but after riding with alternate legs up on the tank in an attempt to get air up my leg………I just had to get more comfortable. Yup, we got some looks.

We arrived at Gary’s in New Castle, DE and were immediately treated to the delight of his pet cat and two incredible birds, Boo and Casey. Boo is a white with peach accents Moluccan Cockatoo with cross species love interests crazy.gif and Casey is an African Grey. Smokey the cat had long ago decided the birds were too big to be eaten and he just wanted to be hugged. Boo would get to you anyway he could; waddling is an adventure for him and when he lost sight of us and decided to fly to find us….well, picture a peach/cream AirBus approaching your head and you get the picture. I was sad to leave them…….loud creatures, but incredible personalities. Out for a great dinner and I think I fell asleep before I got out of the pickup truck.

Now, this part is for Laney to cover……..from her perspective………but her clutch had been showing signs of problems and as of Thursday morning we knew we had to deal with it, now.

Thursday – the 13th we talk to Dear Paul Mahalka and head for Jessup, MD. and Bob’s BMW. Rain and cooler temps greet us. Rain is nothing……..the cool is delightful. Bob’s has everything. Gear galore. The hotel is fine. Franks

Diner next door is divine with the best table top jukebox selections…everything from Billie Holiday to Humble Pie…to Patsy Cline to Etta James…..to Tommy James and the Shondels to Joe Cocker. Yeah, dinner last night and breakfast this morning have been outright boogie sessions.

We are waiting to hear if her bike will be done tonight or tomorrow or what? We are still deciding what to do about our respective schedules. We know that if her bike is done tonight……..we’ll be at my house for the party on Saturday night. 700 miles on slab is something we can do in one day no problem, especially with these cooler temps. The downside is if her bike is not done today, then I ride home tomorrow alone. She waits. We’d much rather stick together, but we will ultimately choose the best option once we know more about her bike.

All in all we are doing very well. I could be in my cubicle and she could be in her version of same…………blech! No matter what, there is nothing like waking up day after day and have your life revolve around a motorcycle. It’s the best! It’s an adventure.

smile.gif PB

Glad you ladies are having a blast! I can't wait to see all the pictures.

Sorry to hear that Laney's bike is acting up. I blame Sock Monkey. He's having too much fun and doesn't want to go home.

smile.gif

russell_bynum

Nice report, PB. I can't wait to see the pics and hear about it in person!

Be sure to have Bob's check for monkey fur in the clutch mechanism. laugh.gif

Wow, thanks for the report, Kathy. I'm kicking myself for not following my instincts on her clutch. Remember when I pulled the bike out of the gravel parking lot up that hill for her? And then commented on how late it engaged? I should have not discounted my sense on it. So sorry.

Rumor has it that even Sock Monkey wouldn't ride over to Bob's with a clutch like that. And, there was a report in the local Newark paper of a vagrant of "unidentified ethnicity" found in the street in front of a "public house", incoherent, and bespattered with Harley Oil. I guess when things go bad, The Bad act worse!!

But, when things are Good... Wow!!

Bare (foot) sunrises and sunsets, crab soup, sounds of rushing surf, breezes bringing soft feeling air and sea scents. Only a week before there had been shaded creeksides, winding roads that didn't have ends, met with engine notes rising and falling to the rhythm of Girls dancing out their long held Fantasies.

My aren't we fortunate to have a part of you two among us to share the other part that Lives Free.

Thanks for brightening my day... and our lives.

Just got off the phone with the Girls and Paul.

They're stuffing their faces (again, in-between the giggles) while Paul's shop is fixin' Laney's wagon. They expect to be back on the road in no time!

Something must go wrong for it to be a proper adventure. Having Bob's nearby to take care of the bike is about as smooth as bumps get! smile.gif

Glad to hear the trip is going well... I'm at work. frown.gif

PhillyFlash

I was beginning to wonder about you two. It's been a while since we last heard from you. Sounds like you're having a blast. What a difference from the mid-west and west coast. Hope you're both slabbing it to Chi-town in no time. Oh, Kathy, how's the weather? Hope it hasn't been hot.

Kathy/Laney,

Glad you are having such a wonderful time. I'm in new england on the way to pa. Hope the bike is fixed and you are on sked. Talk to you-all later.

Well, we're still here, but hopeful to be moving sometime before the day is over. Oh wait, the day IS over. It's past 8:30, but I see less pieces of my bike laying around the shop, so that must be a good sign. smile.gif

I'm sure all these diversions were caused by the Monkey, and as soon as I get him out of jail in Newark, he's got some explaining to do.

In the meantime, it's still an adventure, even though it's taken some unexpected turns.

But it's time to get back on the road. Us girls are WAY overdue for getting to some water to get our feet into... wink.gif

HI everyone.........it's 8:20pm........but they are REALLY putting her bike back together and soon we'll be on the road. We feel great. We've had a power bar. We are drinking our prerequisite HUGE bottle of water. We'll be careful...but we are putting on some miles as soon as the keys turn. It is unnatural for us to have been off the bikes like this for almost 2 days and we are chomping at the bit.

Jake, Steve, Ron and Crew - get the usual suspects on the deck, get the grill fired up please.........we'll call you from our last gas stop tomorrow late afternoon. Oh, someone pet my dog, Guinness, and tell him I'll be there as soon as I can.

smile.gif PB

Oh, just a note: smile.gif

We are both sitting at the service desk at Bob's BMW..........typing away on two computers........the customer service in this joint is soooo special. smile.gif

If you have to need help........you cannot do better than to find yourself in Jessup MD. and under the care of Paul...he took great care of us.........and we owe him.

I really do not think he's an Old Fart, but if that is what he wants to be called, so be it.

The trip was perfect.......the adventure is almost complete.

WhoooooooooooHoooooooooo!!

Oh, one more thing...

David dear....we wouldn't have stopped at that point anyway. It all worked out perfectly. You don't really think you could tell two woman anything...do you? crazy.gif

You don't really think you could tell two woman anything...do you?color=blue>

True. I haven't had much luck with one!

PeterScottNJ

I just checked in to this forum to see your latest adventure. Great tale, it sounds like you're having a ball and I look forward to every installment.

Progress report-7:20am CST:

The girlz are having breakfast at Bob Evans (down on the farm) in Morgantown West Virginia.

MILES TO GO-dunno

ETA: dunno

SOCK MONKEY BEHAVING *IT'S SELF: dunno

*he or she? dunno (not sure I want to)

See you all soon: fer sure.

Paul Mihalka

Thanks for the update! I'm glad they are rolling (and eating:-)). I hope they make Chi-town in time for the party!

Just got a call from PB. The girls are north of Pittsburgh on I-79 headed for I-76 West. Making good time. Light rain.

Laney says, "Make sure the beer is cold!"

I finally figured out the monkey. He's a scapegoat. You two ladies are tearing it up out there.

Had too much to drink? It's the monkey's fault.

Got pulled over for speeding? Blame the monkey.

Ate too much ice cream? Baaad monkey.

Weather sucks? Monkey muy malo.

Be sure to bring him to Gunnison, you two. We're gonna have so much fun, the monkey is DEFINITELY going to jail.shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Great to hear the stories, you two. This trip sounds like one that you'll be talking about forever. Keep us posted, post some pictures, and ride safe!

ps... Kathy (and Jake, David, etc) .. sorry I couldn't hook up with you or any of the Chi-town crew while I was there June 3 4 5 . ... It was 3 days of solid rain while I was there, and luckily my RT got to dry out in my friend's garage. We'll just have to all hook up later!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black Boxer RT for Everywhere Else, such as...

What I did on my summer vacation 2002 (photos coming)

mayhem2002g.gif

At 11:30 AM PDT/01:30 PM CDT The Girls were outside Toledo, Ohio, on I-80. The rain has passed, and now there are moderatly high winds.

They are 265 miles from Bloomington, 4 hours, 18 min out, according to Streets and Trips if they can keep a 65 mph average. That would get them in just about on time for their 5:30 Revelry Session with The Chi-Town Crew.

Laney's RT is running fine, Better Than Every, actually, and she's VERY greatful to the crew at Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD.

Laney also asked if anyone knows a Bail Bondsman in Newark, Del, or an attorney that specializes in Juvenile Offenders.

I don't know how Paper Butt is for sure, but during the pay phone call there was constant giggling in the background and something about, "Who needs to STOP to take a shower?" I may have heard sirens too as Laney quickly hung up.

Archived