IGNORED

12GS - "chirping" noise until engine warm

TowJam

just a sanity check... I've noticed that until the oil temp registers the first bar on the temp gauge, the engine has a distinctive chirping noise at idle. I can't pinpoint the source or location of the sound but I *think* it's from the front of the engine - possibly around the belt area. It's been awhile so I don't remember if my '06 RT or GS did this. I've not noticed any other problems so I'm wondering if this is just another case of TADT.

What say ye?

Since changing the belt on my R1150RT, mine has been making that same sound when the ambient temperature is below 40°F. It goes away after about 3-5 minutes of running, and is non-existant at higher temps.

It is my understanding this is from the alternator belt. I tightened it to spec, but perhaps a bit tighter would eliminate the sound. In any case the slippage is minimal, and inclined just to ignor it.

I have the same issue! The noise you hear is from the belt and is NORMAL, per say, if all specs. are in complaince. Don't forget the belt goes thru a lot of heat ranges, etc. and does IT's thing when it comes to streching and contracting. Leave it alone, accpet to check it sometimes when serviced. Carry a spare one for peace of mind. The 12GS is a powerful motor, very powerful for its size. Plus it is aircooled, etc. Drive it! David Farcas ragman@wildblue.net

I don't think it is TADT. But I do agree it is likely the alt. belt. As there is not tension adjustment on the R1200xx series, a new one should fix 'er up!

As there is not tension adjustment on the R1200xx series, a new one should fix 'er up!
On TowJam's brand new bike? I guess you could have them check it out at the 600 miler? Have you done that yet?
On TowJam's brand new bike? I guess you could have them check it out at the 600 miler? Have you done that yet?

Yeah - I'm going to have the chirp (and a possible leaky sight glass) checked at the 600 mile service. But I'm embarrassed to say that I still have a few miles to go before I need to schedule it.

I too had the strange noise when cold just after I had my timing cover replaced at the dealer (due to corrosion). It sounded like the headers were loose and exhaust air was escaping at the seams. Only on further investigation I noted that the noise was from the front of the engine.

On return to the dealer they gave me a K12S for a couple of weeks thumbsup.gif in order to have my original timing belt cover poweder coated and refitted. Apparently the timing cover also houses one end of the balancer shaft and the new cover had mis-aligned it, hence the noise.

I can't confirm or otherwise if this was the case, but I got mine back without the noise, and besides a week on the K12S was excellent.

Only question that remains is, is your timing cover original?

• 3 weeks later...

update...

Got the GS back today from the 600 mile ($420) service. The techs were able to hear the noise but couldn't determine where it was coming from. They didn't believe it was the alternator belt since the 1200 doesn't have tension adjustments. (Guess they couldn't bother to check and see if the belt itself had a problem.) Anyway, they told to ride it a little longer and if the noise persisted, I could bring it back and they would contact BMW to get authorization for a more "in-depth diagnosis".

What I don't understand is why do they need authorization to troubleshoot a noise that they admit is not normal for a 1200?

My confidence level with this service department just went WAY down.

Archived