800 mile ride on 5-6K old oil?

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

I am thinking of heading to Vegas tomorrow afternoon. I have about 5500 miles on the Mobil1 Extended Life 15-50 Synthetic in the crankcase. Should I change it before tomorrow or not?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I am thinking of heading to Vegas tomorrow afternoon. I have about 5500 miles on the Mobil1 Extended Life 15-50 Synthetic in the crankcase. Should I change it before tomorrow or not?

Oil change intervals are specified by the manufacturer to be very conservative, IOW if you always change the oil at 6K you should expect to never have any oil-failure related engine damage. Oil analyses done by other members here have confirmed that after 6K miles of use, the oil can be expected to provide adequate engine protection for several thousand miles more; some folks have even considered extending their oil change interval to 12K miles, though I would think that's getting pretty close to the limit.

I've gone 1500-2000 miles over the limit before without any fuss; don't worry at all about exceeding your oil change interval by a few hundred miles. thumbsup.gif

As F'in Friday says - it ain't gonna hurt anything to go over the recommended limit. Besides - why are you running 'extended life' oil if you ain't gonna extend it???

russell_bynum

What everyone else said...don't worry about it.

Then, when you get back from this trip, send a bit of your used oil in for analysis. It's cheap, and it'll let you know difinitively how much life the oil had left in it.

I had an oil analysis done on the oil that I had in my bike after the last Iron Butt Rally. After 11,000 miles, the BMW synthetic still met all the specs.

Check your oil level before you go because you might be a little low if you haven't added any. (But don't get all anal trying to titrate the oil level up to the dot in the sight glass, and don't add any if you don't need it). Then don't worry about it. If it was summer and you would be sitting in Vegas traffic at 110 degrees that might be one thing, but your biggest concern should be the snow that Vegas is forecast to get tomorrow. eek.gif

Archived