IGNORED

Tire Suggestions...

Nickjc

Hi All,

I need to replace the stock tires that are on a 2000 1100RT...

This bike is primarily a NE US late fall/winter/early spring bike used for commutation and sees some twisties now and again...

What has been the cumulative success or failure with tires that you have seen on this bike...

I have used, successfully Michelin Macadams on my K75S and have been pleased with them...

Shooting for decent longevity, good wet/cold weather grip...

Any thoughts...??

Thanks for any insight...

My RT had Metzler Z6's when I bought it. I liked them OK, but they only had a few k left on them, so I didn't see any rain with them.

I'm now on my second set of Michelin Pilot Roads, & really like them. I've never had a traction issue, no matter the weather. Cold weather/surface hasn't been an issue either, though I am a bit judicious for the first few miles.

Mileage seems to be good. I had about 8k on the first set when I picked up a sheet metal screw. There was probably another 2k left, but the front was showing some cupping, so I replaced both.

Thanks for the reply...!

I am such a lazy SOB as well.. cool.gif you happen to know the front and rear size offhand so i do not have to trek out to the shed etc... dopeslap.gifclap.gif

I got decent mileage out of the Michelin Pilots ( 12k miles) but the front tire was so noisy, I was glad when it wore out.

The Metz Z6 feel real nice but the rear wears out too soon. I used up two rear tires and one front tire over the last 10k miles. The rear tire wasn't completely gone but the distance between "looks ok" and cords showing is very short with the Z6 rears. I could have pushed it to 7k miles but didn't want to take a chance while on vacation.

I've heard some very good reports on the Avon 45/46. Most people are getting 10k miles and say they like the handling. I'll probably try these or their successor series next.

If high mileage is very important, the Metzeler 880 radials may be for you. I haven't tried these but others claim they last 14k miles and beyond.

Search this website for any of these tire names and be ready to read a while.

I have found the Z6s to be excellent in the rain, and last quite awhile as well. My last set was over 12k before I replaced it, still with some tread left.

Given the vast differences in what people report with regards to longevity, I'd say type of riding and local road conditions are so variable that any advice you get should be taken with a grain of salt.

I currently have about 7k on my new set of Z6s, and plan to use them to about 13k this time. Then, I'm going to try a set of 880s to see how much I can get out of them.

Bike is used primarily as a daily highway commuter. YMMV.

-MKL

Thanks for the reply...!

I am such a lazy SOB as well.. cool.gif you happen to know the front and rear size offhand so i do not have to trek out to the shed etc... dopeslap.gifclap.gif

Here ya go you lazy SOB grin.gif

front 120/70/17

rear 160/60/18

The R1150 has a 17in rear rim so be careful when ordering.

I also have a '00 RT. When I bought my bike it had a set of Avon Azaro ST's on it. I had no complaints about them until I was forced to replace them on a long distance trip. The dealership installed Z6's and they were MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter. The Avons had a loud humming sound when I leaned them into a corner that I didn't notice until it was gone. Now my only complaint about the Z6 is that there is no tread in the middle of the rear tire to judge wear. I do mostly highway commuting (600 miles a week) so the center of the tire takes a beating. When I wear these out, I think I'm going to try out the new Avon Storm ST unless I hear horror stories about them between now and then.

I also have a '00 RT. When I bought my bike it had a set of Avon Azaro ST's on it. I had no complaints about them until I was forced to replace them on a long distance trip. The dealership installed Z6's and they were MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter. The Avons had a loud humming sound when I leaned them into a corner that I didn't notice until it was gone. Now my only complaint about the Z6 is that there is no tread in the middle of the rear tire to judge wear. I do mostly highway commuting (600 miles a week) so the center of the tire takes a beating. When I wear these out, I think I'm going to try out the new Avon Storm ST unless I hear horror stories about them between now and then.

Same here, I'll wait and see on the new Avons. I hadn't heard the old Avons were noisy. That really bugged me about the Pilot Roads, real noisy unless you were straight up. I've threatened to put a Z6 on the front and a 880 on the rear or maybe even a Pilot Road rear if the profiles are similar. Either combination should last well over 10k miles. Anyone done this?

Don_Eilenberger
The Avons had a loud humming sound when I leaned them into a corner that I didn't notice until it was gone. Now my only complaint about the Z6 is that there is no tread in the middle of the rear tire to judge wear. I do mostly highway commuting (600 miles a week) so the center of the tire takes a beating. When I wear these out, I think I'm going to try out the new Avon Storm ST unless I hear horror stories about them between now and then.
I only have about 300 miles on my front Storm (rear is an Azero with about 2,000 miles on it) but so far - I like it. Ridden it in cold weather, seemed fine to me. Turn-in is good, smoother and less abrupt than the flattened off Michelin that came off (former-owner did a LOT of slab - first time I'd seen a flattened out front tire.)

Tred looks about identical to the rear Azero.. but supposedly it has a new compound to make it sticky but longer wearing.

One note - it did take about 2oz of weight to balance it. It's not the rim since the old tire had less than 1oz on it, and in a different spot. No paint mark on the tire marking a light spot to align against the valve stem. It seems fine though - smooth enough up to my normal max velocity of around 80MPH. The diameter must be bigger by a significant amount over the one that came off - my speedometer almost agrees with my GPS now (78GPS=80speedo) where before it was off about twice as much (80speedo=74GPS).

If it stays riding weather here in NJ (above freezing for me) I'll have some more miles on it by next week.

Haven't noticed any noise, but I suspect I wouldn't anyway.. the RS lets more wind at a helmet, and I always were earplugs and am a bit deaf at times anyway.

Oh - I had Z6's on my last bike (THE K75S) and really liked them except for the lack of any wear indicator that was useable in the rear, and the lack of any road-hazard warranty coverage. Had to replace one with 300 miles on it after a very fast air-leak (3/8" hole) at around 80MPH. It was impressive that the bike stayed up (rear tire.. was moving around a LOT..) The Avon has some sort of road-hazard warranty at least, and useable wear-bars.

I changed from the Z6 to the Pilots on my 02RT. They felt great but really howled and never got quiet enought for my tastes. When they wore out, I went back to the Z6. I really like the way they feel in all kinds of weather and conditions. They wear faster than some others but would probably do them again as I seem to ride less these days due to a very serious golf addiction.

Happy trails.

Bob

I just put the Michelin Pilot Roads on my '04 RT. So far I like them. I have a little over 1000 miles on them. The feel good on the road wet or dry. I haven't noticed the road noise I've seen some people writing about. Granted i usually wear plugs as I am very picky about being able to hear for the rest of my life. But I've ridden without plugs and they don't seem to roar or rumble any more than any tire does.

Archived