Some ZUMO 550 Complaints

moshe_levy

All-

I recently sold my old TomTom-350 from the cage to buy a Zumo 550, which I plan to use on both the bikes and in the cage. After hooking the Zumo up last night and using it for the first time (in the cage,) I was suprised at some of its shortcomings vs. the TomTom.

First of all, the TomTom always displayed the total mileage of the programmed route, as well as how many miles were left to go before reaching the destination. The 550, by contrast, merely lists the estimate arrival time on the main screen. Somehow, the TomTom managed to fit much more useful information onto the main screen vs. the Zumo, which has me toggling between 3 separate screens (and still no relatively useful info like total miles, altitude, etc.)

Second, the Zumo must be in a powered cradle before its voice prompts work. Not so with the TomTom, and the Zumo's volume (set to max in the car cradle) is absolutely inadequate. The TomTom was twice as loud, and the Zumo cannot be heard above simple wind noise at highway speed in the car.

Finally, the Zumo is nowhere near as intuitive to use as the TomTom. Simple things like adding a current spot to favorites required cracking open the manual. Not a big deal, but the TomTom could be used entirely without any manual by anyone with more than room temp IQ numbers, because all of the features were so clearly obvious.

This is not to compare the 350 and the Zumo - I realize the Zumo is far more feature packed and more suitable for motorcycles. I was just surprised at these shortcomings on such an expensive unit.

Perhaps as I become more familiar with it, I will grow to appreciate it more.

-MKL

I don't know for sure on the Zumo, but my 2720 allows the main screen info to be modified to your liking. I don't recall if it has the info you're talking about, it certainly does not provide altitude. It took me a good 3 months of playing with the unit to find the functionality I liked and be able to quickly navigate the screens. The 2720 does provide a pretty simple way to add a current location as favorite, maybe you just haven't found it yet. Don't give up hope, if you do, I can trade you for my 2720. thumbsup.gif

My Zumo 550 which is nearly two months old has gone back to Garmin for repair/replacement. I love thew unit but it wouldn't turn on last week and had to get posted back to be looked at. I am missing it allready after a detour following an RTA which closed the road I was gonna take!

I will let you guys know what Garmin say.

Anyone else had a problem??

Dave

It took me a good 3 months of playing with the unit to find the functionality I liked and be able to quickly navigate the screens. The 2720 does provide a pretty simple way to add a current location as favorite, maybe you just haven't found it yet.

When I got home, I cracked the manual and discovered if I click on the motorcycle icon (which shows where I am at the moment) I can then go into another menu to save that spot to Favorites. On the TomTom by comparison, clicking on the favorites icon would allow me (from there) to save to favorites based on any number of factors, including exact location at the moment. Much easier, much more intuitive than the Garmin. I'm sure this unit is OK, just will require more time experimenting with the manual. I still say the lack of mileage info regarding routes is unacceptable.

No problems yet with the Zumo that I didn't cause myself! I did have to send it back after I accidentally deleted the maps from the drive. Garmin had the unit back to me in a few days with great service.

-MKL

You are right- its a piece of crap....

Just kidding. The Zumo is great and it was designed for motorcycle use, gloves on and in all weather. I love it.

If you want to read what other motorcycle guys and gals think of zumo go to:

http://razorbiker.com/zumo/index.php

This is a forum for motorcycle guys with zumo.

As for the volume... the unit comes out of the box with the master volumes set at about 70%. Just turning up the volume will not reset the master volume. Look a little deeper.

Some have said the zumo is "dumbed down" others say it is so sophisticated that many things are done for you, with out your intervention.

If you are the sort who likes to play with the GPS's technical features you may not be happy with zumo. (That would be sort of like enjoying your old radio because you liked turning the tuning knob).

If you want a great unit that is fun,easy and gets the job done effortlessly then give it a good look.

I have the Zumo and love it. If I want to see the total miles to my destination I press the Info bar on the top of the screen and the "Show Map" button. The total miles is shown there (and the miles until each turn after the first press). Altitude I personally don't use or care about – besides, if I am climbing a hill or mountain here in California there are usually signs that have the elevation every several hundred feet or so. Regarding sound, I have to disagree and say that it is totally adequate. In fact, the Zumo is very loud using earphones on a bike; and in my car I use the car's stereo (which I'd do anyway since I wouldn't insist on any less to hear the MP3 and XM radio).

I guess every GPS does things differently and we can all gripe about one's feature set against another or nitpick this and that. But honestly, outside of a few preferences of individuals here and there the Zumo is a wonderful full-featured GPS. I'm intrinsically happy with mine, sorry that you aren't with yours. You could certainly purchase say, an Iway 500C or a 2820 but then you wouldn't have the Zumo's battery power, portability, SiRF III receiver, UV-resistant display, Bluetooth, XM and MP3 in a single package (not to mention oft-reported poor quality control on the Iway which uses a hard-drive BTW....). We can illustrate shortcomings for any product -- I guess we all just have to choose what is best for us. Best of luck!

I have Tomtom Navigator 5 in my Treo 650. I think it's great except for the fact that the software gets me lost almost as much as I do on my own. I think TomTom is inferior to Garmin at the roots. I have a Garmin Quest that never steers me wrong.

...If you want to read what other motorcycle guys and gals think of zumo go to:

http://razorbiker.com/zumo/index.php

This is a forum for motorcycle guys with zumo.

This is what I love about the internet! A forum pops up with 1800 posts, and 326 users - just for bike guys with GPS's. Who'd have thunk this 10 years ago.

Mike O

If I want to see the total miles to my destination I press the Info bar on the top of the screen and the "Show Map" button. The total miles is shown there (and the miles until each turn after the first press).<<<<<<

Mike-

My complaints are those of a new user, not someone familiar with the product. I'm sure I'll grow to like it more as I get to know it. Thanks for this bit of info - I wish that miles to dest was displayed on the main screen, but it is not a huge gripe.

>>>>Regarding sound, I have to disagree and say that it is totally adequate. In fact, the Zumo is very loud using earphones on a bike; and in my car I use the car's stereo<<<<

Perhaps there is something wrong with my speaker's cradle - that's always a possibility. But I agree, why not use the car's stereo if you can. I noticed the audio out jack in the cradle - can you point an A/V newbie in the right direction as to how you wired that into your stereo?

Thanks!

-MKL

I am in complete agreement with Mike. I really like my Zumo, both as a GPS device and the fact that it combines three devices into one package.

Regarding audio, my car is old enough to have a cassette player. I use one of those cassette adapters that plugs right into the jack of the Zumo cradle. A newer car might have an input jack for an MP3 player that you can use. Some other cars allow you to plug in via the CD changer (e.g. if you have a CD changer in your trunk, you might be able to get an adapter and cable that allows you to connect to your car stereo that way). A local car stereo shop should be able to help you.

If I want to see the total miles to my destination I press the Info bar on the top of the screen and the "Show Map" button. The total miles is shown there (and the miles until each turn after the first press).<<<<<<

Mike-

My complaints are those of a new user, not someone familiar with the product. I'm sure I'll grow to like it more as I get to know it. Thanks for this bit of info - I wish that miles to dest was displayed on the main screen, but it is not a huge gripe.

>>>>Regarding sound, I have to disagree and say that it is totally adequate. In fact, the Zumo is very loud using earphones on a bike; and in my car I use the car's stereo<<<<

Perhaps there is something wrong with my speaker's cradle - that's always a possibility. But I agree, why not use the car's stereo if you can. I noticed the audio out jack in the cradle - can you point an A/V newbie in the right direction as to how you wired that into your stereo?

Thanks!

-MKL

Moshe,

I understand and I apologize -- my comments were a little too pointed.

In any event, yes -- you are totally on the right track. As you'll experiment you'll find features you'll be ecstatic about, and inherently as you grow to know your Zumo more, you'll be wishing for features or operation tailored for your specific needs; its natural.

Glad the suggestion was put in about the cassette adapter. I have a 2001 Olds Intrigue that has one and I'm simply using the adapter that came with my Roady2 -- you can buy them at many places and of course the sound in your car is superb! Wait until you pair it with a Bluetooth cell phone -- you'll hear the other party through your car's stereo system. It's wild! Anyway, again, best of luck. Enjoy your Zumo; it's a sterling full-featured and FUN product!

This is what I love about the internet! A forum pops up with 1800 posts, and 326 users - just for bike guys with GPS's. Who'd have thunk this 10 years ago.

Mike O

Spot on Mike!

I'm I think the 7th or so member to join, and since it was started (by Wally/Razorbiker, a fellow VTXOA member) in November, it has grown exponentially. And if I might deign to correct, its a website exclusively for ZUMO owners and enthusiasts -- no other product! Wally and I first had a Yahoo Groups forum that didn't do too well so personally, I thought our new Zumo-specific forum would flop, but instead it's absolutely thriving! Go fig!?

Archived