IGNORED

Great ride this morning

madmanbob

I had to go to Sarlat this morning, 22 miles away. The weater was very foggy on the way there and I had visor misting problems. On the way back I stopped and took some pictures as the fog had cleared.

100_2445.jpg

This is one of the newer buildings in Sarlat, but because it is a medieval town all houses must fit in.

100_2447.jpg

5 miles out I took this picture of a house built on the rock, probably around 600 years ago.

100_2453.jpg

3 miles later I stopped again for a photo of this one. Could be about the same age as the last.

100_2454.jpg

Also had a small farm house at the bottom.

100_2456.jpg

100_2458.jpg

A cave dwelling on the rock face. Some of these have been inhabited for around 10000 years, some are still inhabited.

100_2459.jpg

100_2460.jpg

The 12th century church at Le Moustier. This is the place that Moustier man was named after when they found the 40,000 year old skeleton in the cave above the town.

100_2462.jpg

The house next to the church above. Built in the 14th century but altered many times since.

I could have stopped at many more places in the 22 miles, but need to get home for a cup of tea, some English things live on even in France.

Bill, you would not want to walk if you saw the road. 15 miles of it is perfectly surfaced and winds in and out of the hills with banked corners. I saw about 3 or 4 cars all along this stretch, I love it here when there are few tourists.

Awesome pictures!!!

Thanks for the share. Jamie and I really need to start planning for that overseas trip so we can partake!

I went on holiday to that region a few years ago. Didn't have motorcycle but we took two pedal cycles. Had a great holiday and on some days never saw a motorised vehicle. We visited the cliff dwellings. It was quite scary to climb up the step that are plugged into the cliff face. Its a long drop in some cases. ooo.gif

Francois_Dumas
I love it here when there are few tourists.

Me too, but that's also the dilemma..... do we show 'em these places or keep them to ourselves !!?? tongue.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Lovely piccies Bob ! thumbsup.gif

The way I see it Francois, is that these places are not just mine (I would love them to be) and as our American board members are so far away, the best way that they can see it is in a photo. if it encourages others to come and visit, then that is fine by me and I'll help out as much as I can.

I do know that many Brits who read this and other bike boards will have seen many of these places, but for them it is only a 600 mile ride.

I am still waiting for you and your other half to find your way down here, you don't even need to cross any water, so no excuses.

Awesome pictures!!!

Thanks for the share. Jamie and I really need to start planning for that overseas trip so we can partake!

Leslie & HotJamie might have something to say about you two going to Gay Paree together grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Francois_Dumas
I am still waiting for you and your other half to find your way down here, you don't even need to cross any water, so no excuses.

Oh we'll head down there one day..... ! thumbsup.gif

Awesome pictures!!!

Leslie & HotJamie might have something to say about you two going to Gay Paree together grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

OH MAN!!!

I wish I'd thought of that. lmao.giflmao.gif

To both bobt & Francois:

I too am envious. As a pseudo history buff, I would love to get back to Europe - only next time tour via BMW ... and actually get to France once and for all (having been to the UK, Germany, Italy, & Spain). But history aside, landscapes there are spectacular - and the food even better!

Thanks for posting your pics and sharing your experiences with this newbie to the site. cool.gif

Francois_Dumas

Hi Craig..... funny handle ( lmao.gif) , and welcome to BMWST

We share the same taste in bikes, just different colors wink.gif

If you want to see more of my piccies, check out my Travel Forum here (see under Francois Trips and Travel where I keep some of my 'tales') : http://travel.silvercloudpublishing.com/index.php

And all published photos are on my Smugmug site:

http://europerides.smugmug.com

Archived