IGNORED

RT 1100 Starting W/O final drive

James_H

I have the final drive off my 1100 RT. While it's being repaired I wanted to do some other things to the bike. Some of which require an engine start. Any problems with starting the engine with the final drive off?

Any suggestions on things I should do while it's in this "state"?

My list is

Change plugs

Change engine Oil

Change engine oil filter

Re-wire some electrical items

Install new wiring for ignition sensors (not right term)

Change air filter

I have the final drive off my 1100 RT. While it's being repaired I wanted to do some other things to the bike. Some of which require an engine start. Any problems with starting the engine with the final drive off?

My list is

Change plugs

Change engine Oil

Change engine oil filter

Re-wire some electrical items

Install new wiring for ignition sensors (not right term)

Change air filter

Driveshaft in or out? If it's still in, I wouldn't start it.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Tie the center stand to the front wheel so it can't come off the stand; it'd be a hassle to try to get it back up on the stand without a rear wheel/FD in place.

drive shaft will turn in neutral (with clutch engaged) due to light viscous drag of oil in the gearbox. There isn't a lot of force there but if the drive shaft is still in the housing flopping around it might not sound nice and not a good thing. If you have a way to secure the driveshaft to the housing to keep it form doing that I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Otherwise, if you are changing oil, you could just leave the drain plug out over night and you will likely get as much out had you drained it hot for 10 minutes.

It would be rather inconvient to have it come of the center stand. I have it tied down at the front but I can do as you suggested.

Thanks.

Archived