IGNORED

Checking the oil level in the 06 R1200RT?

mrfbuyer7

I had the first service done at around 600 miles and then at 1600 miles the Explanation Warning Indicator on the computer came on and a run through on the computer indicated to check the oil. I had been checking the oil all along (while on the center stand), but I don't think in the correct manner.

After getting home I put the bike on the center stand and then ran it a little longer and then turned it off. I checked the oil Immediately and noticed it at about half in the sight glass window, so I added about 200 - 300 ml to bring it to the top. When I looked at the computer at the oil indicator there were 3 dashes. Yesterday after a ride (1800 miles now) there was an actual "Check Mark" where the 3 dashes were by the oil indicator. I checked the oil (same way as noted above) after getting home and it was still about full in the sight glass window.

These may be silly questions but here goes anyway. Am I checking the oil correctly? What do the 3 dashes mean? Does the "Check Mark" mean check the oil or that the oil is OK? There is nothing in the little manual that notes what the Check Mark means. Even before adding the oil the first time, the sight glass seemed to fill up after a short time of sitting on the center stand. So I assume you need to read the level quickly after turning the bike off?

I have changed oil a hundred times on all types of motor toys, worked on ATV. waverunners, etc for years, I am just not familiar with the Boxer engine or BMW's yet. Thanks for any help or comments.

Mark

If I recall the info in my manual for my 05 RT, the check appears when the oil is at operating temp and the engine has been idling for 10 seconds. If these conditions haven't been met, you see the dashes. If something is wrong, you'll see a symbol that looks sorta like: <!>

Well point number one, look at sight glass + see oil = ride bike. The boxer has a LOT of oil in it and bottom to top of the sight glass is only a few ounces difference. So if you see oil there is plenty in it to run the bike.

But that approach probably isn't going to keep the dash panel indicator happy (and off). Personal opinion, I'd say do the above and ignore the darn thing. But withstanding that, history has show the best "Checking the Oil in Your BMW Boxer Dance" has been; A) Ride the bike to where it is thoroughly warmed. B) Park it on the side stand for at least a 1/2 hour, to allow all the oil in the cooler and various spots in the block to fully drain down. C) Hoist it onto the center stand, let it settle a couple of minutes, then look at the sight glass. You want it at the center dot or slightly above it.

Remember, on a boxer, too much oil in it is potentially far more damaging than a bit too little.

People have been stymied by a reliable, repeatable, accurate way to know the exact oil level in a boxer for decades. How BMW ever in their wildest dreams thought a fixed sensor would be accurate is beyond me!

Mark,

The display can be a bit confusing. I believe the three dashes indicate that the onboard computer cannot sample the oil level at the current time. If memory serves me, in order for the BC to do this the bike must be 1.) at operating temperature, 2.) at idle, 3.) in neutral, 4.) not on the side stand. If all are not satisfied then the ". . ." indicates nothing. The check mark is indeed "OK" oil level. Once you move off the oil display should be replaced by temperature until you stop again. The check oil indicator (which I believe you saw), looks like <!>. As others have said the BC oil check is quite conservative. I've had the check oil indicator come on after some high speed interstate runs in hot weather but it was never a serious shortage of oil. You may want to wait, as others have said, a little longer on the side stand before putting it up on the center stand for oil check. For me just a couple of minutes works fine.

Mark,

First off, I don't mean to offend you but it may be helpful if you read through your manual one more time.

_ _ _ OIL (The correct conditions have not been achieved to allow the computer to determine oil level)

When the check mark is displayed it indicates the computer system on the bike is happy with the oil level. The <!> warning generally pops up when the oil level drops to below halfway of the sight glass on down.

The manual states that you should ride the bike until it has completely warmed up, this could take a few miles, shutdown and park on center stand. Wait for a few minutes and the oil level should be between halfway and the top of the red circle. The manual also claims the oil level is "full" at the top of the red circle.

As others have stated, things are fine as long as you see oil in that sight glass. It should never be missing and should always show air at the top.

Thanks so much everyone for all the quick, and very helpful replies. I do need to re-read the Manual better, from front to back. I skimmed through it a couple times and then when the indictor came on initially - the <!> - I just went to the oil section quickly and to the warning indicator section. I probably looked right over the information I needed. Thanks again Mark

Trust the sight glass even if you are sure the oil level sensor <!> is reading correctly - '05 and early '06 builds had unreliable sensors. Some '06 builds (mine) had a good sensor but bad firmware. Others have mentioned the required dealer service bulletins to correct the sensor or display issues.

The key thing to remember in checking oil level is to get the bike up to operating temperature first. Then check the oil after you park it or the next day before a ride.

If you don't get the bike hot, oil can get hung up in the oil cooler and give you a false low reading. Add oil now to the top ring and it will be overfull when the cooler drains down. Excess oil will get puked up into the air box (there is a drain plug...)

Some like to leave on side stand for 5 minutes thinking the oil drains down better then go to main stand to check the oil level. Whatever, check the oil in the sight glass on the main stand on level ground. Any where in the sight glass is fine, optimal is between the dot and top ring to keep the <!> hidden.

Look twice if at first glance you think there is no oil - it may be overfull and the oil is so clean you think there is none.

Oh, and the harder you run the engine after broken in, the less oil it will use. Don't baby it - give it a workout and wring it's neck once in a while

People have been stymied by a reliable, repeatable, accurate way to know the exact oil level in a boxer for decades. How BMW ever in their wildest dreams thought a fixed sensor would be accurate is beyond me!

+1 to that, Ken. After reading all this stuff about the oil sensor, I'm now really glad that I decided to take a bike without the onboard computer. Visual checking of the oil in the sight glass is just so easy and reliable. And I hate ignoring any warning indicator - kinda like the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

Dave.

Archived