IGNORED

1st Annual Gilbert, AZ HOV Lane M/C Tour, Dec. 27, 2006!

Effervescent

12 riders, 12 hours, 350 miles.

I learned a new word: Autocom.

1605.jpg

1606.jpg

1607.jpg

Amazing day, Folks. Great dinner afterwards. I have a crush on Les is more.

One million thank yous!

-Eff

And here I was going to say something nice about you. smirk.gif

Oh well, some folks just can't deal with diversity. And don't confuse one person's limited skill levels with the limitations of the platform. tongue.gif

119422468-L.jpg

You really should work on coming out of your shell more! grin.gif

And here I was going to say something nice about you. smirk.gif

Oh well, some folks just can't deal with diversity. And don't confuse one person's limited skill levels with the limitations of the platform. tongue.gif

119422468-L.jpg

You really should work on coming out of your shell more! grin.gif

I don't know, he has me hiding behind the gas pump because of how "Shy" he is!

My ride tale explaining what really happened to follow in a few.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

I woke up yesterday feeling not unlike how I believe Che' Guevara felt on starting out one of his revolutions. We were on a quest to show "The Man" that you can't just trample the down trodden who commute through the metro Phoenix area on two wheels! No way would we willingly accept a ticket from some apparatchik working for them. With luck, by the end of the day there would be thousands riding in cities all through out the west wearing the Red Gold and Black Scarf of the new path of righteousness! I decide to call our group the PLHA as in the Peoples Liberation Hoon Army. By tomorrow, news will have spread far and wide. T-shirts with my face in a revolutionary stare would adorn rebellious middle class kids at colleges throughout the Eastern sea board. And Fidel would be livid in Havana.

There was no time to wait!! Rousting Heck out of the King Richard Suite I told him to make ready for the revolution! He told me sorry he was just in town to get a trailer. Then it hit me, there was not going to be any protest ride. So off I went to Safeway to pick up the Flying Finn and then off to meet the Hoons.

119432219-M.jpg

Here you can see Eff and Leslie with her hi-tech Spork.

119432298-M.jpg

Not sure why people bagged on the Black Bear. Look how clean the place is!

119432256-M.jpg

Chris decided to forgoe the ride so he could slave in the kitchen for the rest of us while we decided to head North. Now let it be known that Philly did mention that the weather looked better to the East, but that he would rather go North. At least that is how I am remembering the event.

119448402-M.jpg

Our steeds getting ready to depart. All in all there would be “several” of us on this ride. Now I am not going to put a solid number on this post because it would embarrass a certain fireman from the city of Coronado who was easily confused all day. Oh and AZAL, if anyone asks, you did turn off at Wickenburg!

119448449-M.jpg

Our trip North was eventful in the fact that we had a little bit of sprinkles, some hail and we got stuck behind a truck carrying the bucket of a dump truck. Going up highway 93 is where we saw this. First, Philly said it was a house, then I said it looked like a dump truck and finally we decided it could be a house that a person who drove a dump truck was what was being hauled up the road. With my Garmin 2610 mounted on the RT Shelf, I don’t have my camera hooked up any more. I think Eff took a picture though. This thing took up 2 lanes of traffic. It was huge.

119432361-M.jpg

After gassing up in Bagdad AZ, we headed on back towards home. Philly and I took a wrong turn and after talking to a local constable, we managed to get back on the right track and headed down towards Phoenix. We stopped at a scenic overlook. Here you can see the “New York Tenderfoot”. The man is just not right!

119432466-M.jpg

Howard and Leslie were cracking each other up all day!

119432631-M.jpg

I am sure they were talking about how the revolution will make it all better!

119432525-M.jpg

You can’t take some people anywhere

119432530-M.jpg

Back at the Olson’s. Very cool tank that Chris’ wife Cindy maintains. So we get back to killer Chili Verde, some Carnitas and rice and beans that were to die for. Seriously, after riding about 300 miles with these folks, it was great to have some great food. I am sure that some additional photos will be shared.

119432577-M.jpg

Those two at it again! I am sure they are conversing on the logistics of moving Richards 50CC thread into the Ride Tales that last section before the weeks end.

119432534-L.jpg

A tale of two coasts. Either way I am glad I am friends with both of these mugs!! What a great day to spend even without starting a revolution. Can’t wait for the tech days.

119461260-M.jpg

Power to the People Baby!!

Comandante Kaisrthumbsup.gif

119461260-M.jpg

Can’t wait for the tech days.

Scary thought that this "rebel without a clue" is staying at my place on SoCal Tech Day! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif
119461260-M.jpg

Can’t wait for the tech days.

Scary thought that this "rebel without a clue" is staying at my place on SoCal Tech Day! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

So much for our SECRET SAFE HOUSE!!!

lmao.gif

Joan and I enjoyed our first of many Arizona group rides. We enjoyed meeting old and new friends, and espcially the apres ride feast hosted by Chris and Cindy. cool.gif

WAIT A MINUTE!

"I'm Jamie "KMG_365" and I ride a Black '03 R1150RT ("Maynard, The Krebs Cycle"). My wife is Leslie "Les_is_more" and she rides a Silver '02 R1150RT. We ride ~30K miles/year. Leslie is the "Proprietrix" of http://www.BMWSportTouring.com and we're founding members of BMWST.com's "Dry-Town" Crew, in San Diego, CA."

You guys are married!?!

I meant to say I really, really like Les_is_more as a friend! blush.giflmao.gif

-Eff

By the way Eff----

"Nice mix...."

lmao.gifclap.giflmao.gif

And I'll go on record- you'se guys were not the only ones to see snow on your trip.... eek.gifeek.gif

Between the snow and the 60mph+ winds...kinda glad I had a few extra wheels for this one....

C-ya all in DV !!!

Dennis Andress

Chris decided to forgoe the ride so he could slave in the kitchen for the rest of us while we decided to head North. Now let it be known that Philly did mention that the weather looked better to the East, but that he would rather go North. At least that is how I am remembering the event.

Philly has difficulty avoiding snow. Last year in Death Valley he was heard to say:

As we continued on, the road became a little wet; no big deal. We could see a squall a ways up the road, but didn't think too much about it. We rode through a little slush, but again, it wasn't anything to worry about. I continued on, in the lead, enjoying the scenery, the music, the white road, hmm, the road it white...The Road Is White!! Oh, shit!!!

Did he mention anything about a slow and boring ride?

Great ride guys and gals. I enjoyed meeting everyone in person and look forward to more AZ rides now I'm retired (next Friday!!!). My ride back to Tucson was uneventful but had considerable dust and a killer cross wind. Once I got down to Tucson it improved however. It was snowing at my house SE of Tucson (3300 ft)the next morning but it didn't really stick. I think we actually lucked out on the weather for a great late December ride. Cheers,

john

Back in New York. wave.gif

I wasn't paying attention to the layover and my Southwest $99 flight went from AZ to Nashville to Chicago to Long Island. dopeslap.gif

CraigC's bike was returned safe and sound. It was pouring rain so I got outta having to wash it! lmao.gif

Chris, that was a wonderful meal! Thanks so much. Also, I'm gonna steal your lil'dog and eat her! Also, I want to be you when I grow up: nice pad/nice garage!

AZ Kaisr, can't figure how to use PMs here...I still think you should have a doctor look at that rash! A shot can clear that right up! Atta boy! lmao.gif

Jamie, that's my favorite motorcycling pic ever taken of me!

Les, if things don't work out with you and Jamie, by all means, let me know!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

-Eff

It was a cold, windy, sprinkly ride home, complete with some sand blasting through the dunes. It's a small price to pay compared to how much fun we had!! Thanks to all for a great time!

Special thanks go out to Chris and Cindy for opening up their home to us. Cindy, thanks for allowing us to feel right at home. the saltwater tank with all of the bright fish and corals is really beautiful. Chris the food was awesome! Should we tell the others about the homemade chicken pot pies the night before the ride? Maybe not--you'd be home cooking for every ride near you!

Eff, tell Santy thanks for me! The titanium spork made short work of those seven grain pancakes! smile.gif

Wow...what a ride, sorry I missed all the fun. Any stories about me are all lies!!

They were sayin' you were great in bed!

-Eff

By the way Eff----

"Nice mix...."

lmao.gifclap.giflmao.gif

Yes . . . an "ecclectic" mix if ever there was one! eek.gif

I'm missing just a few artists for my index. Who did the versions of "Catfish Blues", "After You've Gone" and "It don't mean a thing"? confused.gif

(I did get the rest, though! wink.gif )

Wow...what a ride, sorry I missed all the fun.
Craig, I gotta say again how amazingly generous it was of you to loan out your beautiful RT to that CRAZY New Yawker for the week! dopeslap.gif

I also can't believe you've got that much CRAP in your tankbag! I mean, it was an impressive use of space, but I was looking for the kitchen sink to wash up after breakfast! eek.gif

When we were all leaving I asked Eff if he had communications and he gave me a blank stare and said, pointing to the rat's nest of wires: "I dunno. Does any of this work?" grin.gif

I looked at the tangled mess and couldn't make heads nor tails of it at first, but finally managed to "paint-by-numbers" (lessee . . . the thigh-bone's connected to the knee-bone . . . the knee-bone's connected to the leg-bone . . . . lmao.gif ) to put enough parts and pieces together to get him on-line with the rest of the group. It only took me a few dozen miles to catch up to them after they left me in the parking lot! crazy.gif

Another B-2-B convert is born! clap.gif

I also can't believe you've got that much CRAP in your tankbag! I mean, it was an impressive use of space, but I was looking for the kitchen sink to wash up after breakfast! eek.gif

I know, I got the idea from watching too many Mad Max movies...I find beauty in random chaos. lmao.gif. As you discovered, I'm on the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to all things mechnical. confused.gif

Happy New Year!

wave.gif

Back in New York. wave.gif

-Eff

Oh. So you're the guy who was from New York. That explains everything. lmao.gif

Turned out to be a great day, even if our weather wasn't as good as it normally is this time of year. As a matter of fact, it has gotten better in the last couple of days. Too bad you couldn't stick around for our annual New Year's Day Ride. It's always a great way to start the year. It was good riding with you, Eff, and watching you come out of your shell. Keep working on that shyness; people may actually notice you one day.

Now let the true tale be told. When we got to the restaurant for breakfast, I mentioned that there was suppose to be rain and snow to the north, but the weather to the east should be better. One of our riding companions (who did not go all the way north with us) called home and got the report that the snow and rain shouldn't start until the afternoon. So the group chose to drag me north, and then forced me to be in the front. Just like what happened on the slow ride at Torrey, and the boring ride (through the snow) at DVD. Honest, they made me do it. That's how it always happens. eek.gif

All in all, a great day. Lots of laughing, and some great food at the Olsons' house (thanks again for your hospitality). I think we even convince Eff to be a part-time resident and keep a bike out here. That should keep things interesting. And thanks for the CD, Eff. Pretty good mix. Quite ecclectic.

{Now let the true tale be told. When we got to the restaurant for breakfast, I mentioned that there was suppose to be rain and snow to the north, but the weather to the east should be better. One of our riding companions (who did not go all the way north with us) called home and got the report that the snow and rain shouldn't start until the afternoon. So the group chose to drag me north, and then forced me to be in the front. Just like what happened on the slow ride at Torrey, and the boring ride (through the snow) at DVD. Honest, they made me do it. That's how it always happens.}

Yeah, who was that smuck that called home and talked with the pretty lil Mrs. and didn't go north?? I heard his wife was fired as a weather girl from the group?? Whoever that guy is maybe he was a little smarter than the rest and couldn't be fooled by his own wife even???? lmao.gif

I think you folks are spoiled. I've done most of my riding on the east coast this last 10 years and I thought the ride weather for this ride was very good!! Did it rain, hail or snow? Technically yes but it was very minor and even if you didn't have waterproof gear on, you wouldn't have even bothered to stop and gear up. It was an outstanding ride with very good weather. I truely enjoyed the ride and wouldn't hesitate to do it again given the same conditionsl. Now that I am living in AZ, I guess I need to "manage my expectations" at a little higher level. I'll be there for the next one....

john

....and one final point. For me, it was a 650 mile ride because I live SE of Tucson. The worst weather by far for me was the ride home from Phoenix to Tucson with a 40 mph crosswind on I-10. The challange of the official ride pales compared to my ride home. Having said that; would I do it again. Absolutely,

jlt

The worst weather by far for me was the ride home from Phoenix to Tucson with a 40 mph crosswind on I-10.
Yeah, we had the same thing heading back to SD! I don't care for a cold wind that comes from the side for 7 hours straight! It gets around the RT's excellent fairing and into the chinks in your armor--it also makes for a stiff neck! tongue.gif

I need to put up my own little Mini-Ride Tale addendum to this post:

It wasn't cold when we left SD (in the 70's) on Boxing Day, and I even saw 80* as we crested the last pass before dropping down into the desert. The temps dropped with our decent, but only into the high 50's (the next day's temps in the high 30's would be colder). As we headed in to PHX we were treated to a BEAUTIFUL sunset in our mirrors at Gila Bend where we gassed up: ooo.gif

119897685-L.jpg

When we got to Chris and Cindy's place, we were made to feel like visiting dignitaries! grin.gif

119897656-L.jpg

Due to the prompt intervention of the AMA (thanks again, Deadboy! clap.gif ), the HOV ride turned into a more scenic ride. It was a bit rainy and a bit sleety and a bit haily and I TOLD Philly not to go that way, but he insisted on showing us his favorite overlook:

119897651-L.jpg

Okay, so it's a very nice overlook! grin.gif

Once again I have to thank Chris and Cindy Olsen for their hospitality! And not just for opening their home to we poor wayfaring strangers, but Chris is a fabulous cook as well! He made killer Chicken pot pies on Tuesday night and even when he didn't end up going on Wednesday's ride with us, he still managed to whip up some AWESOME Chili Verde, and a full-on pork burrito bar--even when the hoards of folks who cut the ride short showed up a few hours early! eek.gif

You guys are the best!!

119897702-L.jpg

We enjoyed having everyone stop by ... glad you enjoyed the grub! Sorry the weather didn't cooperate and I really missed making the ride, but looks like most had a good time. Maybe next year will be better. grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived