IGNORED

Gunnison Status: Where Each of Us Is Today. Who Needs Help.

EffBee

David Baker has asked me to take the point on the Gunnison Rally. To that end, I’ve got a list of people and items/issues which they agreed to handle (at least per the last Gunnison Committee group e-mail of which I have a copy). My purpose here is to review those commitments, verify if they have been met. And if not, see what we can do to make sure the issues are covered so that we can have a smooth-running rally. If any of the following is repetitive of information or requests made in previous Gunnison Committee communications, I apologize. We’ve all been "out of contact" for a few months since the initial fervor and we need to get a complete update.

Stephen Slisz, as the Registration Chairman and the newest member of the committee, here’s what I have for you. We were planning on having an early sign-in at 3P-6P on Sunday at the KOA campground (rally HQ). We will need you there, along with anyone you need to spell you so you can take a break as needed. We will also need you and your help available from 6A-9A on Monday, the 22nd for sign-up/welcome. Brant Herbert will provide you with a list of those who’ve committed to attending the rally. I will provide you with a list of those who’ve paid for T-shirts, as well as their size. You will simply check people in and pass out the T-shirts to those who’ve paid. Please respond below if you have any questions.

Tom Morgan, you’re the Meals Chairman and LOA Liaison. I believe we’re planning pizza for one night and some kind of BBQ the other night. Can you tell me what’s planned, who you’ve contacted, what the schedule is, method of collection/payment, etc. Who’s going to do the cooking if we have a BBQ? Do we need a permit of any kind. What about wood/charcoal? Also, we are planning to have evening group campfires at the KOA. Is this possible. If so, who will provide the wood (two night’s worth)? What costs are involved? What needs to be covered up front?

Ride Route Chairman is John Bellantonio. John, some routes will be led (by Dick Frantz and perhaps yourself). Other routes will simply be available as handouts. How many different routes have you planned? I think two led and two unchaperoned per day would be fine (they can be the same four routes, just switch them on the second day). Of course, people always have the option of simply taking off on their own. John, I believe you’ve already done some of this work (if not all) with Dick Frantz, so please fill us in.

Dick Frantz is the Tour Captain. Dick, are you prepared to lead one ride each day? Your recent trip through Colorado should have given you plenty of ideas. Are you/have you coordinated with John Bellantonio? Please update us. You also wanted to do a short class on PACE riding. Are you still planning that? Perhaps you will lead a solo ride and John a two-up ride? Please discuss these things among yourselves and get back to us.

Tom Roe is the Tech Chairman. We were discussing the possibility of having a Tech Days Light. Personally I think anything beyond fluid changes is asking a lot. Not to mention the fact that Tom is also going to Gunnison to meet, greet and RIDE. Tommy, how do you feel about this? I recall we agreed to KISS this event, and I’m wondering if we’re just trying to do too much. Whatever you decide is fine with me, but it will then be in your capable hands. Fess up. Also, see below for Campfire Chairman.

Michael Snodgrass is the Coffee Chairman. He’s already been communicating on this forum about the issue and I believe he has a good handle on what he needs to do. Michael, any updates? Who have you got committed as Coffee/Danish sponsors? Are you also arranging for delivery to the KOA? Please let us know.

I was the Master of Ceremonies. I think that will now fall to David Baker. Not only is he our leader, but probably a much more accomplished public speaker than I am. Besides, he's better looking and has more hair.wink.gifDCB, as you know Eric Luksich (Luky) has volunteered to secure for us a PA system of some sort. Please stay in touch with him on this and keep us informed.

Luky, speak with Fearless Leader.

Shortcut was to be the Campfire Chairman. Unfortunately, he won’t be in Gunnison. Tom Roe, if you don’t do the tech stuff, I’d like you to take this over. Basically, get the fire lit (please communicate with Tom Morgan regarding the campfire situation, wood, etc.), keep it lit, and just make sure everyone is circulating and that there a lot of handshaking going on. There may be some other activities associated with this, but they will be spontaneous and I’m sure you will be able to handle them. If you decide to do the tech stuff and think adding this to your duties will deprive you of your fair share of enjoying the Rockies (which it very well might), then let me know and I’ll probably take it over myself.

Luky again. You gave us a great logo for the T-shirt. It will work well on the sleeve as well as on the name tags, assuming I can get it to RonB and he can do whatever he does with them/it. Thank you. I will soon be posting that logo for all on this committee to see, as well as the main photo/design for the front of the T-shirt. We will need quick approval so we can set-up the ordering/printing/shipping in time for the rally.

Brant Herbert is our Photography Chairman. Brant, any time you want to post your poll of Who’s Coming to Gunnison in the general Gunnison forum, please do so. Stephen will need it at sign up, and you will want to use it to keep track of the headshots you’ll take for later posting to the BBS. We’ll make your poll a "sticky" post so that it stays at the top. I will get you the info I need for the T-shirt order forms, so people can order and pre-pay. We will provide a two-week window for ordering. Any questions/needs, please respond here.

Glen McIntosh you’re the floater. Help a little here, help a little there. No fair sending Terri to do the work while you chuff on a stogie with da boyz. Actually, I know you to be a very capable person with excellent people skills, so I know we can count on you to handle virtually any and all tasks that might fall off others’ tables.

Rather than deal with everyone off-line on your individual assignments and commitments, I’ve asked everyone to post back to this thread. It may get congested, but it gives us a single place to go to for all the info, what’s going on, and who needs help. If it gets convoluted, we can open topic-specific threads in this forum and move the appropriate posts to them.

Please get back to your fellow committee members here ASAP. Even if you’re in the process of accomplishing your task, rather than complete with it, post here and let us know the status. Communication is the most important thing to making each of our jobs a success.

Thank you in advance for all your efforts.

ADDENDUM (Monday A.M.)

OK, it's the next morning. I wrote the above late last night (12:36 this morning???) I took one look at it and realized that my post wasn't long enough. So I'm adding.

Thanks to Tom's post below, I am reminded about Jake. I'd make you a floater, too, but you'll hook up with Gleno and I know what happens then.shocked.gif So, for now, I'm job hunting on your behalf.

As for everyone else, please make sure you have the incidentals covered. For example, Stephen, you will need paper, pencils, etc. Tom Roe will need lighter fluid and matches. Mike Snodgrass will have to ensure delivery of coffee/danish to the campground. So will I with the T-shirts that UPS will dump at the Comfort Inn. Just walk yourself through your duties and plan, and take it apart as if the plan were someone else's and you were paid to take it apart and find the holes. What needs to be secured? Who needs to be called? Then cover those holes (that's "cover" as in make sure they're done, not hidden)wink.gif.

Thanks.

I was leaning toward giving a 1 to 1-1/2 hour Tech Talk.

You guys pick the time.

It would be along the lines of my Chaulk Talk that I give at the Tech Dazes. Talking and answering questions like the Oilhead Seminar at Redmond. No actual work performed unless it's an emergency.

As far as the Campfire Job goes maybe you and I can tag team it (we do work well together).

I will be arriving Sunday AM so I will be there to help Steve with Sign-Up. Plus I can pull some shifts of Sign-In with my Brothers Gleno and Jake as needed.

Your (flexable) sex slave

Tom

IN

I'm all about helping where I can. I'll be there sometime early Sunday also. However FB, I'm quite sure I've mentioned before that I'll be riding solo this trip. It's unfortunate, but Ter has roasted all her vacation daze already. So basically, besides riding, & shaking every damn hand in the area, I'm open for what's needed within reason.

I can hold Tommys chalk.

I can carry matches for the fire dood.

I can be a coffee taste tester.

I can pass out ride sheets.

I can't keep Luky outta the titty bars.

I can sleep like a log.

I can ride like a fool.

Ad infinitum................

Looking forward to being a part of the sucess of this thing.

Your humble, ever-so cooperative, not so flexable sex-slave laugh.gif

FB

I will be arriving with saddlebags o' nametags. If you and/or Brant could e-mail roster info, along with the Gunny Logo, that would be smokin'. My boy Ron B is all set to hook me up, and we'll get it done. We could have these ready for disbursement at registration time.

I'm ready for anything else you want to throw at me.

A note of caution: Tom has learned a thing or two about starting fires from Chuck Eddy, who almost burned down the entire Mississippi Valley with his neat lamp oil trick at MWTDaze. Be afraid!

Jake, gimme a day or two to gather whatever comments are submitted on the thread regarding the Gunny T-shirt artwork. If no one has anything negative to say about Luky's handiwork, I'll e-mail you the artwork for the T-shirt sleeve, which will look GREAT on our name tags. --FB

Glad to be MC. Don't know what that means. Which is probably why I'm glad to do it!

Stephen, obviously I'll volunteer to help you man a shift. I'm arriving Sunday morning. I think we are going to have some check in/out of rides, so that's something to coordinate with John. We'll then know if we need to send the Civil Air Patrol out to look for people!

On the rides, I like the idea of short/long rides, rides suitable for 1- or 2-up. And ride sheets for self-guided tours. We have LOTS of people who will not ride in a group, and that's a smart decision on their part. Confidentially (in other words, I'm not going to say this on the public part of the board), the Mayhem rides were a disaster. The directions were wrong, the people hadn't ridden them before, the leader had very little sense of what to do and what not to do and he was not decisive, the group was too large, the riders had too diverse a skill set, and they went way too long. I split the group into two halves, and then split one of those halves again. I have a sense from what you all have posted that you've covered all those bases. Dick/John, if you need anyone to lead one of any kind, I'm at your service.

On the tech stuff, I agree with the KISS approach. In fact, I'd suggest planning nothing. There will be plenty of bikes that need worked on because of the problems people encounter on the way or once they get there. When that happens, one of us should just announce what we are going to do on their bike and invite people to watch. I'll have any tool we need for the basic stuff, and anybody is welcome to use them.

Brant, I'll bring my camera and if you need help with anything, just yell, even if it means "assigning" certain shots for me to get. I'll also have my laptop in case you need help editing/uploading.

Fernando, do we want to ask one of our medical types to bring basic first aid? Thanks for all your work, man.

Yeeha! Stephen

Ah Ha!

My first of dozens of questions pop-up:

A 3 hour early check in Sunday, a 3 hour check in Monday a.m. Does that mean that it’s only open then? Or do we need someone there all day for latecomers?

Since this is supposed to be an Un-Rally( Now I find out it’s turning out to be a real one), do we really need to baby-sit a check in all day? Or open for the early hours mentioned and then again maybe an hour before the Pizza/BBQ functions? Repeat the next day.

This is to be a 2 day event right? How about Tues.? Figure most folks will be in by then?

Do we need someone at a table to take food ticket/coupons for the pizza night or BBQ?

Are we going to do a sign-out sheet for group rides, or self guided rides? And if so, does it need to be manned or can it be self-serve with an occasional glance from organizers?

Where do you suggest I get helpers? Out of the general population of the board? Wait till I get there and grab anyone that walks by? Or should I try to draft a few. I know a few of Texas’ Pie Town Crew, but don't know if they're draft-able. How many do you think I’ll need? If we only open it for a few hours early, and then again for a short time in the evening, that would reduce the Off Bike time for the helpers, thus maybe more volunteers?

Is any money going to change hands at check in? As in donations for expenses or meals? How many fingers should be in the pie?

How many bodies do you actually think are going to show up?

Are you committee guys going to do any riding, or is this Rally your “Baby”?

The few Rallies I’ve been to, I didn’t pay much attention to the inner workings or the staff. I usually signed in, grabbed my fliers, and maps and left for the fun. So someone let me know your vision of the perfect Check In. I don’t want to fall down on the job.

Coffee is under control. My SO (Jacki) is taking our pickup up for the un-gathering. We will have "free" coffee and assorted pastries on both Monday and Tuesday (0600-0900?). I plan to pick up the Danish/Dougnuts from the City Market Bakery each moring at around 0500. I will have regular (fresh ground Columbian from Costco) and limited decaf, paper cups, creamer, sugar, fake sugar, napkins and stir sticks. My current target number is 150 folks. I plan to set up with the Bakery that I can change numbers up until Friday 7/19. We are going to Gunnison to "scout" the KOA to make sure that I have enough AC power, tables and such. We also plan to have produced some type of sign/banner that sez thanks to:

Cycle Gadgets

Cee Baileys

Ezy-Mount

MotoEquip

For providing the funds for our "breakfast". Each of these have agreed to reimburse me for $ spent. I will subtract Fernando's $50.00 and the other 3 will split the rest.

Since you ask if we need help:

FB, could you please make the post to the public board announcing the sponsors? Your words will work so much better than mine!

If someone can help out with a way cool "Sposored By" Banner it would be great! I'm not very artistic!

The only thing I don't yet have nailed down is a couple of big coffee "urns". I plan to: A)see if I can rent in Gunnison, B)rent here in Denver, or C)buy at Target/WalMart. I won't be doing much more until after the 6/22 scouting trip.

As a note. Campfires, BBQ's and out door smoking may be verboten. The Govenor annouced state wide bans on any open flames today. The smoke in Denver Metro yesterday and today was terrible.

snod

In reply to:

Ah Ha!

My first of dozens of questions pop-up:

A 3 hour early check in Sunday, a 3 hour check in Monday a.m. Does that mean that it’s only open then? Or do we need someone there all day for latecomers?

Since this is supposed to be an Un-Rally( Now I find out it’s turning out to be a real one), do we really need to baby-sit a check in all day? Or open for the early hours mentioned and then again maybe an hour before the Pizza/BBQ functions? Repeat the next day.

This is to be a 2 day event right? How about Tues.? Figure most folks will be in by then?

Do we need someone at a table to take food ticket/coupons for the pizza night or BBQ?

I think manning a sign-in for a total of 6 hours is sufficient. We will post the sign-in times on the main Gunnison forum. Anyone not able to get there during those hours may not get signed in and may not get their T-shirt (it will be mailed later). We can't expect to be open 24/7. We want to ride, too.

As for the food situation, we have people in charge of that. If they need help, they will ask. But they are capable of running it, collecting moneys if needed, etc. Your job is simply arrival sign-up.

In reply to:

Are we going to do a sign-out sheet for group rides, or self guided rides? And if so, does it need to be manned or can it be self-serve with an occasional glance from organizers?

We have a Tour Captain and he may also avail himself of someone like John Bellantonio to run a second tour. Part of their duties will be to come back with the same number of riders with which they left. No checkout necessary if yolu're going on a LED ride.

Those who are going on mapped, but unled rides should sign out voluntarily, and sign back in. If they don't, then we won't know to go looking for them if they don't return. We're all adults here. It's an individual call. but if they sign out, the MUST sign back in or we could be scouring the Rockies through the night while they're asleep in their motel room. GRRRrrrrr!!!

Those who will be taking their road maps and wandering for the day, don't need to tell us anything. If they don't show up, which way do we begin searching? Best bet is to ask everyone who wanders to take along a buddy so that one can come back for help if needed. Everyone should be discouraged from riding alone.

In reply to:

Where do you suggest I get helpers? Out of the general population of the board? Wait till I get there and grab anyone that walks by? Or should I try to draft a few. I know a few of Texas’ Pie Town Crew, but don't know if they're draft-able. How many do you think I’ll need? If we only open it for a few hours early, and then again for a short time in the evening, that would reduce the Off Bike time for the helpers, thus maybe more volunteers?

You've got Gleno as a floater and he LOVES to meet and greet. He's gonna be like a kid in a candy store, what with all the new faces and names. Jake will also be available.

No. Money should not change hands. You will give out T-shirts to those who've paid (you will have a list indicating who's paid and what size shirt). You will not sell shirts, even to those who want more. First, they should have ordered. Second, if we have leftovers, they can order after the rally. This will be made crystal clear in the T-shirt ordering thread that will soon be started in the main Gunnison Forum.

In reply to:

Is any money going to change hands at check in? As in donations for expenses or meals? How many fingers should be in the pie?

As for donations, that's up to DCB. I don't mind a pickle jar, but I don't think we want people to feel obligated, or think they need to toss in a $20 bill. If everyone tosses in a couple of bucks (or not), we will cover unforeseen expenses. Again, any leftover funds will be held by DCB until next year's Un-Rally, wherever that may be. This whole thing should be low-cost, zero-pressure, and loads of fun. If we get near the end of the weekend and we find ourselves in a collective $500 hole, we may plead our case and pass the hat (or not).

Again, the breakfasts and the pizza and BBQ dinners are separate issues and will be handled by those assigned to them.

In reply to:

How many bodies do you actually think are going to show up?

I'd like to see 200. I realistically think 100-125. But I could be wrong and really hope I am.

In reply to:

Are you committee guys going to do any riding, or is this Rally your “Baby”?

H*ll, absofrickinlutely yes. That's why we're not burdening ourselves with tons of "activities and events." I've done the perimeter of the Colorado Rockies (Durango, Grand Jct., Steamboat, Denver, Walsenberg, Durango), but I've never done the interior. I plan to see some beauty.

In reply to:

The few Rallies I’ve been to, I didn’t pay much attention to the inner workings or the staff. I usually signed in, grabbed my fliers, and maps and left for the fun. So someone let me know your vision of the perfect Check In. I don’t want to fall down on the job.

Don't sweat it. Do the sign-in, shake some hands, say "Welcome. Gee, you're a lot better looking than you sound on the BBS." And you'll leave with a ton of new friends. Remember, KISS (Keep It Simple, Sir). No need to make more out of this than it is. And thank you for your help, Stephen.

David, yes, please ask anyone who has medical training to bring first-aid supplies. 'Tis better to be prepared, thus guaranteeing you won't need them. Murphy, 1:14.

Well, I'm not planning on leading rides personally, OVERALL. I WILL lead a PACE ride Tuesday afternoon (See later). Remember PACE is about SPORT RIDING, Hoonishness. That only applies to a portion of our members -- perhaps a small one. We won't know how many until we ASK.

What I do have planned is to help John's to PRESENT a SLEW of routes that can be ridden in different size groups or solo. John, with his extensive experience is laying out SEVERAL half and all day loops from Gunnison. There's a variety of Sport, Tour, Scenery and Food routes. That's why I met him in Gunnison and spent a week there. Maps, Directions, Trip Notes.

We will also present Ingress and Egress rides. Cool Colorado border routes.

We're going to have all this stuff PUBLISHED ahead of time, on a Web Site, and also available as hard copy SUNDAY so people can get their riding and groupings planned. I'll have that stuff Fed Ex-ed in. WE NEED A TABLE AND SOME HORSESHOES.

I am going to present a seminar, both days, at 7:30 AM first on Group Riding, followed by PACE riding. We'll have several PACE riders around that people can hook up with. And, by Show Time, I'll have several of our "Major Personalities", the NATURAL RIDE LEADERS, genned in on the materials people have at least SEEN on Group Riding. Who leads, and who follows is up to the Participants: It's an UN-rally.

Following that, both days, I'm holding a Riding Better seminar, with helpers. A demo ride follows that: Fifty miles down CO-149 to Lake City and fifty miles back. Those in fact ARE PACE rides.

However, TUESDAY, at the end of the first half of the "demo ride", I'm also going to LEAD a ride from Lake City, over Slumgullion pass to Creed, and then back to Gunnison: Only two hundred miles total for the day, but I'll bet you see dragin' butts after THAT.

Gleno said:

I can't keep Luky outta the titty bars.

THEY HAVE TITTY BARS IN GUNNISON? WHOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

I can't even find a titty bar here in Seoul, although there are a plethora of Bordello's... wink.gif

(from the other side of the world)

Brant Herbert

I'll work up the poll this evening. I also owe Fernando some help with the T-shirt order form, which I'll do first. Just getting back into work mode after spending a nice weekend at the Grand Canyon. More soon.

Yeeha! Stephen

FB says:

I think manning a sign-in for a total of 6 hours is sufficient. We will post the sign-in times on the main Gunnison forum. Anyone not able to get there during those hours may not get signed in and may not get their T-shirt (it will be mailed later). We can't expect to be open 24/7.

You will give out T-shirts to those who've paid (you will have a list indicating who's paid and what size shirt). You will not sell shirts, even to those who want more.

Don't sweat it. Do the sign-in, shake some hands, say "Welcome. Gee, you're a lot better looking than you sound on the BBS." And you'll leave with a ton of new friends. Remember, KISS (Keep It Simple, Sir). And thank you for your help, Stephen.

Stephen says: Got the picture! I'll be there. Miss Vicki and I are pumped! Can't wait...