IGNORED

The Remus Experiment

grasslander

A couple of things on the Wunderlich:

It's true there isn't a means to lean out any throttle settings. You can, however, turn their settings to lowest position which is the same as stock settings for the bike.

Their design was intended to emulate the method we used to use when dialing in carbs. You had low speed jets, high speed jets, needle jets... Instead of changing jets you just push buttons. There are six modes you can adjust:

1) Cruise

2) Acceleration and fast driving almost to full throttle

3) Full throttle

4) Lower limit of the O2 sensor range

5) Upper limit of the O2 sensor range

6) Beginning phase of full throttle

Each mode has 8 settings.

I'm following their recommended settings for a GS with a Remus and air filter and it runs fine. I had used it before and couldn't dial out a midrange dip and sometimes stalling on the way down to idle while I was comming to a stop. Even with a little extra power on the top I didn't want any driveability issues so I disconnected it thinking one day I may take it to a dyno place and tune it in.

Without the core in my Remus I'm no longer having any driveability issues and I've still got the extra punch.

From what I remember last time I used it my fuel mileage dropped to between 45 to 48. I'll see how it does this time as I'm going on a three day trip starting the 26th.

I'm highly confident that I can have it fully removed from the bike within 30 minutes if I have any issues on the road. I'm not expecting any. You need to remove the plastic to route the wires on the ST. No biggie.

In reviewing this great thread, I found it very informative and all good news. I have a Remus, just the slip-on at this point, under the Christmas tree (Santa leaked) and I was wondering about increased vibration to the foot pegs and handlebars? I saw one post that it increased, but was wondering if anyone else had thoughts or input on this particular thing? Is it not that noticable because no one seems to mention it or is increased vibration just a given. For those of us with bad wrists, that is a big deal. Thanks! (Merry Christmas!)

My experience is that the slip on and full system has no more vibes than stock with the core installed. Maybe a bit less. Noticable decrease in vibes with the core removed on the full system (headers + revolution). I would encourage you to request the Remus header for your birthday...

Sounds like the full system is the way to go. Let's see, b'day is in April, not sure I could wait that long! I am pretty pumped to get the slip-on installed and see how the bike sounds.......Thanks!!

I sent a message to Dynojet:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 4:15 PM

To: sales@powercommander.com

Subject: PC3

I know several folks who are interested in a PC3 wide band for the BMW R1200 series so called "hex head" machines. The R1200RT, GS, R, ST models. I know I'd buy one tomorrow. What say you Dynojet. When do you see it coming?

Response from Dyonjet:

Date: December 26, 2006 11:02:11 AM CST

To: Jim Doyle

Subject: RE: PC3

Hi Jim,

There are no plans to develop a unit for the R1200's at this time. We are actually not able to do anything for BMW's with dual O2 sensors at this time as the Wide band PC will only accommodate feedback from one sensor. Should anything change, we will post any updates on the site, but there are no plans to develop this any time soon.

Thanks,

Manny Hauswirth

Technical and Race Support

Dynojet Research

www.dynojet.com

800-992-4993

Guess I'll have to watch NakedRider's Wunderlich Performance thread. Looks like Techlusion is the only game in town right now. If I choose to try these guy's you already know how I'll handle it cool.gif So, you can set it to only add fuel above 5k?

Can you run two PC3s and treat the engine like two singles?

I like to make things complicated. smile.gif

BTW. nice work on the comparo. I'm running the full remus without the silencer and love it.

The last i talked to the Remus importers [Max Moto} there hasn't been any change on the fuel mapping front for hexheads.

Here's the real picture that they PS for the ads in MOA it was taken at Miller during the AMA races my friend with the new K1200GT had to have a pipe after being behind me on our ride through Colorado and Utah mountain passes

77234028-M.jpg

That response from Dyno Jet, should tell you all you need to know about the Wunderlich unit. I'll say no more.

Dean -

The power commander and the Wunderlich unit go about their business in completely different manners. I've heard the the bike will compensate for the power commander making it useless. This doesn't happen with the Wunderlich unit. There's a fairly long string in ADVRIDER regarding the differenct between the two from about a year ago.

Having run one of these units on both my GS and now my ST I can honestly say there is a power difference up high. It does use a bit more gas, however.

I just took mine on a three day trip and had no issues. Second gear with my Remus minus the core would hop the wheel off the ground a couple of inches at 6,000 RPM. Now it carries the wheel about a foot off the ground until you run out of revs. It's a noticable difference.

• 2 weeks later...
That response from Dyno Jet, should tell you all you need to know about the Wunderlich unit. I'll say no more.

Interesting...

I dont get it ?

GrassMan....are you going to conduct some dyno runs with the Wunderlich or whatever ?

I dont get it ?

GrassMan....are you going to conduct some dyno runs with the Wunderlich or whatever ?

I think the next logical progression for this project is a chip. Question is which one?

I have found 3 possibles so far:

Dobeck Performance BMW GenIII (Wunderlich)

DimSport Rapidbike3 (interesting - may be difficult to find a tuning center in the central US)

DynaJet PCIII (not available due to O2 sensors issues - no real time line for design)

I would ideally like to have the system be compatible using the closed loop operation versus O2 eliminators if possible. More research is needed and continuing. I will likely choose one for test at some point with the Remus full system. Be assured it will be dyno'd at Topeka, on Topeka, in Topeka, and documented here!

• 2 months later...
grasslander

I think the next logical progression for this project is a chip. Question is which one?

I have found 3 possibles so far:

Dobeck Performance BMW GenIII (Wunderlich)

DimSport Rapidbike3 (interesting - may be difficult to find a tuning center in the central US)

DynaJet PCIII (not available due to O2 sensors issues - no real time line for design)

I would ideally like to have the system be compatible using the closed loop operation versus O2 eliminators if possible. More research is needed and continuing. I will likely choose one for test at some point with the Remus full system. Be assured it will be dyno'd at Topeka, on Topeka, in Topeka, and documented here!

Well, the next step is coming folks. I will release the funds for the expenditure after my annual obligation/gift to Uncle Sam is complete 4-16-07.bncry.gif

I think the Dimsport Rapidbike will be the next choice. A R12hex map is available, O2 sensor could be used, you can map for both core + no core, and Topeka Harley has experience with the piggy back Rapidbike on a Buell project they did some time back. I don't expect to see any additional HP from this phase. I do expect an improved fuel curve specific to the Remus running modes (core in - core out).

Stay tuned....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow ! What happened to this thread. Did grasslander fall off the face of the earth or something ?

I'd like to know what happened with the full system a chip or engine module or whatever...

Anyone home here ?

Archived