IGNORED

How many miles per year?

GelStra

Miles ridden per year  

714 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1st, this isn't some us v. them thread. I'm just curious.

2nd, for you Canucks or other troglodites that use the metric system, miles = clicks times....circumference of the Prime Minister's head...no....divided by orange...no, that's not it....add your shoe size on a Tuesday...ah, heck. You're on your own!

So's you knows, I finished last year @ 6,700 and am a bit ahead of that this year.

My speedometer is calibrated to read in knots so to convert, I divided by parsecs, multiplied by hectares and added the number of light years the first broadcast of American Bandstand has travelled towards the crab nebula since 1959. I think I'm close. dopeslap.gif

russell_bynum

I've had 11 really, REALLY enjoyable rides this year.

There were other rides as well, that ranged from "fun" to "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick", but the 11 really spectacular ones are the ones that I'm counting for this year.

I don't know or care how many miles went into those 11 rides.

Joe Frickin' Friday

It's varied pretty widely for me. In 8 years of ownership, I've covered 116K miles. highest one-season total was in '04 when I rode 20K miles; that included trips to Torrey and Cody, as well as 4 trips to the Smokies. Shortest was this year, with only about 8K miles; the only overnight road trips were the two El Paseos and one other trip down to NC in August. We flew to Denver in June and rented a Goldwing for the Un, so I'm only counting the actual miles ridden there (450).

The average ends up being 14.5K/yr.

Since starting riding BMW's back in 1981, I've only averaged 11,292 miles and change per year. Of that, there were 5 years where the bike was being stored while I was out surpressing Communism..... tongue.giftongue.gif

In the past 11 months and 5 days, I've managed to double that average, with 22,665 miles on the new Geezer Glider.

Pat

I've averaged over 30k since 2001. We are 1 car household and my motorcyles not only routinely take me cross country, but across town for haircuts.

It has been a great run, and I'm looking forward to many more.

I live in the North East (Mass/New Hampshire line)

End of Nov the roads are covered with ice/snow/sand/salt.

April showers usually wash that all away. So, although I

do ride Dec->April, I do most of my riding May->Nov

The last few years I've logged:

2000 6k

2001 9K

2002 12k

2003 7k (son was born. wife wouldn't go for too many rides when she was baloon fat with child! wink.gif )

2004 0k sold bike, needed new house to hold new family and got laid off from high tech.

2005 6k (new job requires a new bike of course! clap.gif )

2006 9k (so far. Still riding to work as much as possible though! clap.gif )

I mostly commute. Don't get a chance to do too many overnights. I have a family that want's me around on

weekends. I do try to include my MC on as many family trips as possible.

My wife is a stay at home mom so when she goes to Montreal for a week to visit family I ride the bike up for a weekend so I can get back to work on Monday morning. I got a chance to do this sort of thing a few times this year.

I was only able to do one full day ride with this year. I went with 5 of my friends on Oct 21. 3 of them balled out at lunch as it was cold. I had my Gerbings liner and gloves and road till well past dark! That was my big day.

I also did a track day but that was during the day when I am usually working so it was easy for me to get a hall pass from my family. It's great to be loved by my family but I can't wait until my 3 year old son is old enough to ride on the back... and I got my wife to ride my motorcycle this year.... her first time ever riding a motorcycle clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif so with any luck it wont be long before our family vacations are motorcycle tours up to Newfoundland!

Personally I don't have any motorcycle rides that are not great! If I'm on my motorcycle I have a smile on my face!

I managed just under 8K on my R11 and approx. 2K on my SV this year ... almost all twisty ... and almost all on Sunday morning rides ... woo hoo clap.gifclap.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know or care how many miles went into those 11 rides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I get an 'AMEN'...

Jeez, ladies, it was just a question! No need to get all crampy on me! grin.gif

Midol.jpg

Personally I don't have any motorcycle rides that are not great! If I'm on my motorcycle I have a smile on my face!

What MikeO said, can I get an AMEN!!!! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

This has been a really slow year for me. Only 28K so far. 22K on the Blackbird and another 6 on the 1100S. That is down about 12K from the average over the last 10 years. This working for a living is really interfering with my riding. Did 1500 miles on Monday and Tuesday but my heart wasn't in it. Just trying to get home.

After riding 26k miles in six months one year, I quit counting. I haven't the faintest idea how many miles I now ride. For one thing, I rode my butt off all day in the dirt recently and went 62; and on the track, I may do 80-130 in one day.

There's zero connection between miles and fun for me anymore.

I don't keep track......but boy have we had fun.....

Whip

I agree with David, there's zero connection between fun and miles any more and like Whip I don't keep track, but...

this year I've ridden an average of 273 miles on 81 riding days for a total so far of 22,105, my shortest month was May when I didn't ride at all and my longest was August when I covered 4,896 miles. Since I bought the RT in August of '02 I've ridden an average of 73.38 miles per day on it for a total of 116,770, since I got my license at age 16 I've ridden an average of 34.1 miles each day for a total of 430,398. I need to ride 80.23 miles each day to reach a million by the time I'm 70.

but I don't really keep track...

Oh OK - I do: My Motorcycle Records (updated at the end of each month so it's a bit behind)

clap.giflmao.gif

For me, the daily round trip London to Oxford of 120 miles, times around 200-plus working days per year, adds up to about 24,000 miles. Just a shame that it's the same 120 miles every day. Never had the chance to have fun, just the daily grind.

This whole thing started as I was reading about Steve Carr's thinking of doing a 50CC and the "Ptth, 400 miles for breakfast? No problem" attitude I love hearing about. Using it. No "garage queens".

I'm curious if anyone here has done IBA's "the almost-impossible to get into 100K Club[tm] (100,000 miles or more in one year)."

BTW, Bob, I don't even think I've driven a car that much!

I'm curious if anyone here has done IBA's "the almost-impossible to get into 100K Club[tm] (100,000 miles or more in one year)."
Not me, most I've done in one year is 53,686 (2003)

I've certainly ridden much further than I've driven though my current 4 wheeled vehicles have 96,000 and 39,000 on them. For many years I didn't own a 4 wheel vehicle.

My average over the past ten years is about 19,000 per year but this year will wind up being about half that number.

Riding lots of miles to log miles is no longer my goal or pleasure. Been there...

This whole thing started as I was reading about Steve Carr's thinking of doing a 50CC and the "Ptth, 400 miles for breakfast? No problem" attitude I love hearing about. Using it. No "garage queens".

If I remember well, Don Arthur rode 117,000 miles in one year. All on one K1200LT. I know the bike, I sold it to him thumbsup.gif
russell_bynum
the "Ptth, 400 miles for breakfast? No problem" attitude I love hearing about. Using it. No "garage queens".

I'd rather do 60 miles with a big stupid grin on my face than do "400 miles before breakfast" just so I can say I did 400 miles before breakfast.

That's not to say I don't enjoy longer rides...we did ~600/days to and from Torrey, and a shade over 700 between Dallas and Taos on the way to Unrally. (And that was on a naked bike, so pardon me if I'm not impressed by people who can sit for a few hours behind a Cee Bailey's +24 windscreen on a $1,000 custom saddle that is more comfortable than my couch tongue.gif ) Those were among my 11 great rides of the year...along with track days where I did less than 150 miles and a 30-mile blast on the Tuono that left me giddy for days.

Sometimes I do long rides, sometimes I don't. I don't see any reason to keep track of the number of miles I've put on the bikes in a given year because it doesn't matter to me. If I'm having fun on the bike, then I'm having a good year. smile.gif

I don't see any reason to keep track of the number of miles I've put on the bikes in a given year because it doesn't matter to me. If I'm having fun on the bike, then I'm having a good year. smile.gif
It doesn't matter to me either, I just enjoy playing with the numbers, it's a game really. I never go out to just put on miles.
russell_bynum
I don't see any reason to keep track of the number of miles I've put on the bikes in a given year because it doesn't matter to me. If I'm having fun on the bike, then I'm having a good year. smile.gif
It doesn't matter to me either, I just enjoy playing with the numbers, it's a game really. I never go out to just put on miles.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

"so pardon me if I'm not impressed by people who can sit for a few hours behind a Cee Bailey's +24 windscreen on a $1,000 custom saddle that is more comfortable than my couch"

Russell

I hope you have your flame suit on eek.gif

I've done the trackday thing and road all day and all night to get somewhere.

In a lot of ways they are they same. The prep/trailer work involved in a trackday then the repack and ride home seems like a marathon sometimes and the satisfaction is simular but not exactly the same. I am just as tired after a trackday as I am if I had done a SS1000.

All that being said I am impressed with someone that rides 400 miles for breakfast and equally impressed by someone willing to do the work necessary to have a successful track experience.

Have fun and lets meet for breakfast sometime at a trackday.

Whip

I may be able to squeeze in 1 or 2 more rides this year, but it looks like about 6500 miles for 2006. I hope to take a couple of longer trips next year, (visit my daughter in Florida is one plan).

I'm not riding just to count miles either, but it is interesting to see how fast they add up. I put more miles on this bike in a year and a half than the guy who I bought it from put on it in 7.

russell_bynum

I've done the trackday thing and road all day and all night to get somewhere.

Yeah sure...me too. Sometimes I even enjoy droning along on the freeway for hours on end.

I did 1300+ miles in a day on my RT and I've done several days where I covered more than 1000 miles in a day.

I'm just saying as long as I'm having fun, that's all I care about and I could care less what my odometer says at the end of the year.

As for this comment "so pardon me if I'm not impressed by people who can sit for a few hours behind a Cee Bailey's +24 windscreen on a $1,000 custom saddle that is more comfortable than my couch".... I meant it. I've done those long days on an RT. You basically just have to sit on top of the bike, hold the throttle, and don't fall asleep. And the "Don't fall asleep" part is aided by sattelite nav systems, MP3 players, and 100-channel XM radios. There's no challenge to it. For that matter, riding my Tuono 700+ miles in a day was easy...just sit on top of the bike and hold the throttle for 11 hours. Big deal. (Note: I'm not talking about that hard-core IBA sh*t that Eebie and those guys do. That's well outside of the realm of what I'm physically and mentally capable of doing.)

Bragging about doing a 700-mile day on an RT is like bragging about driving on a dirt road in a Jeep. tongue.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

The only reason I keep track of miles is for maintenance purposes. 15K per chain, 6K for oil and filter, misc little stuff like air filters, brake fluid, brake pads, once a year or as needed. They do seem to add up though, miles that is. Between 1200 mile weekends twice a year for She Crab Soup, the occasional visit with the good folks here and riding my bike to interesting work related destinations, I just seem to pile them on. Unlike some, I actually enjoy slab riding if only for the challenge of maintaining a good average speed. Some sections of slab are even fun. I-40 through E. Tenn and into NC, I-24 up and over Mont Eagle, the eastern section of whatever goes through W. VA. A section of I-80 outside Salt Lake City.

I average about 25K per year, almost all of it on interesting back roads and accumulated mostly by taking trips far from Florida. Last year is was Alaska. This year is was Vermont, then Nova Scotia, then the U.P. of Michigan. My motorcycle takes me to beautiful and different spots. It is not an endurance vehicle, so 250 to 400 miles per day is fine and I don't quite understand the "iron-butt" folks. I can't think of a better to spend a day than a ride through the Rockies or the Smokies or the Cascades or the Blue Ridge mountains. I never keep track of the miles. But I do look at my odometer every once in a while. And I've ridden the motorcycle to every state in the U.S. but Hawaii. thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

As for this comment "so pardon me if I'm not impressed by people who can sit for a few hours behind a Cee Bailey's +24 windscreen on a $1,000 custom saddle that is more comfortable than my couch".... I meant it. I've done those long days on an RT. You basically just have to sit on top of the bike, hold the throttle, and don't fall asleep. And the "Don't fall asleep" part is aided by sattelite nav systems, MP3 players, and 100-channel XM radios. There's no challenge to it.

Russell, I love you like a brother, but what an elitist thing to say! blush.gif Maybe not a challenge for you as a top racer, but every bit a challenge for many folks who continually try to expand their own experiences by increasing their endurance and stamina.

It's heart, courage and determination that makes a long distance rider, not a "thousand dollar saddle."

So there. Nyah. grin.gif

Steve in So Cal

15,000 miles a year, mostly commuting to and from work with at least one long trip and if I'm lucky 2 long trips a year. Winter's here and the bikes parked, and the commute sucks now!

Let's see, on the Dyna Glide....it's 3 miles to the bar...3 miles home. 6 miles to the dealership to get the oil leak fixed....6 miles home. Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat.Lather, rinse, repeat. lmao.gif That make for a yearly average of around 376 shiney chrome exhibiting miles, a mighty fine year.

russell_bynum
Russell, I love you like a brother, but what an elitist thing to say! blush.gif Maybe not a challenge for you as a top racer, but every bit a challenge for many folks who continually try to expand their own experiences by increasing their endurance and stamina.

I just don't see it. Bikes like the RT are specifically designed to do long distances. Doing 700 miles in a day on an RT is just...well...using the bike for what it is designed for. BRAGGING about that just seems silly. (It would be like if I was bragging about carrying a sheet of plywood in my pickup.)

It's heart, courage and determination that makes a long distance rider, not a "thousand dollar saddle."

Oh yeah...I totally agree. Eebie could do more miles in a week on a 125cc 2-stroke GP bike than I could do on an IBR-prepped distance bike like an RT.

My response to GelStra was basically that I don't track how many miles I do in a year because I could care less how many miles I do in a year. Some years I ride a bunch and the odometer is spinning fast. Some years, I don't ride as often, but when I do ride, it's generally longer distances. Some years I don't ride as often or as far.

Who cares? I used to commute everyday on the bike. Even though that was only 50-60 miles or so, when you're doing that every day, it adds up. Did I enjoy commuting on the bike? Sure. But I would have traded 250 miles a week on the freeway rushing to/from work for 50 miles a week doing riding I REALLY enjoy. "How many miles" doesn't say anything about how my motorcycling year went other than to maybe tell you how many oil filters I changed. crazy.gif

P.S. I know you are but what am I. grin.gif

Russell, my point was not "The person with the most miles wins." I was simply curious how people were using their bikes. Most of my riding is done back and forth to work. Exciting? Usually not. But a bad day riding sure beats a good day driving. I enjoy the physical and mental experience of it, as I think do you.

As was said earlier, "Personally I don't have any motorcycle rides that are not great! If I'm on my motorcycle I have a smile on my face!"

My point exactly. I like USING the bike, not watching it gleam in the garage. I like not limiting my ride. I've had and posted about rides to go pay a bill 5 miles away that ended up being great rides. Because I let the ride unfold. Lately, I've been curious about my limits on this particular machine. Rain, dirt, canyons have all been explored. I must admit I'm getting curious about the longer miles. Riding with Steve Carr to some distant place turns into an adventure. Another chapter. Would I enjoy it if I HAD to ride coast to coast relentlessly? Doubtful.

I'd love to do a track day. Circumstances haven't allowed it....YET!

So, no ulterior motives. Just curiosity.

How many miles per year, not enough. This year I've only had time to do a pitiful 6K. Last year I was able to get in 12k which works a lot better for my stress levels. I never use the bike to commute, only weekend rides. For me almost every place I really like riding is about 500+ miles away. It takes about that long sitting in my "stock seat, with my trusty sheep skin" to just unwind and start enjoying the ride. I guess everyones stress levels are different. It would be nice to be able to unwind after a short ride, to me the challenge is just to chill out eek.gif

So I've read 700 miles is nothing in a 1000 dollar seat. does 820 miles in a stock seat for lunch count. MR Tuono ? grin.gif

Just pokin at ya Russell smirk.gif

russell_bynum

I was simply curious how people were using their bikes.

But "How many miles?" only tells you How much, not how.

Riding with Steve Carr to some distant place turns into an adventure. Another chapter.

Give it a shot if you haven't done that sort of thing. Personally, going on one of Steve's "500 miles for lunch then 500 miles home" rides doesn't interest me. But...that's only because for me, the pleasure of those long days is the solitude. I wouldn't want to do it with friends because that would detract from the ride. If it's a day in the twisties, then I love the company, but for a day on the slab, I like it to be just me and the bike. Give it a shot...you might like it.

You basically just have to sit on top of the bike, hold the throttle, and don't fall asleep.

That's just not correct. It's hours of maintaining attention, even if it just becomes part of the process. And it's something many people just can't do. I had a funny conversation with a coworker the other day when she was talking about finding a place to stay when she and her sister drove all the way from the Bay Area to San Diego. They didn't need a place to stay in San Diego, of course. They needed a place to stay to split up the trip.

That said, I eventually decided the Iron Butt stuff wasn't really for me. I can generally do the miles -- I guess I've done 4 1300+-mile days and several other 1000+ days -- but all the other stuff doesn't interest me. Most of the time, it's about transportation. On the other hand, I can appreciate that there's still a lot of work involved. The price of that solitude is a lot of weird mental fatigue, at least for me.

I'd rather have fun and talk about my good rides, but sometimes the fun is talking about all the miles. Sometimes the fun is the reaction of people when you mention the miles. Like the sheriff's deputy in Bullhead City who seemed wowed by the 750 miles (SF through snow heading toward Glendora to Rancho Mirage to Oatman to Laughlin) I'd covered in the prior 18 hours or so when he pulled me over for speeding while sticking my leg straight out to loosen my knee. No ticket.

Frankly, I like to think there was more to staying upright and reaching my destination after escaping the Bay Area during rush hour, unplanned rain followed by driving snow that caked my visor and all the road signs than just staying awake. (I'm willing to accept stupidity as one optional characterization.) Safely pulling 20-hour days in the saddle isn't something that most people can just up and do.

That said, I don't have distance or fun rides to discuss these days. I don't track this stuff as closely as others (I'm more of a "I changed the oil around 6000 miles ago, I think" kind of guy), but I was doing around 30K per year. I used to get about half of my miles from fun rides once or twice every weekend and the other half commuting or riding to destinations. My last "fun" ride to a destination was great even while slabbing... until I melted my speedometer sensor.

Now I'm running 10K to 12K, and it's nearly all commuting.

Actually the RT was the RT-P and designed as a police vehicle.

It was adapted for civilian duty.

But that's nit-picking.

I only ride my bike to accumulate miles.

I don't care if I'm having fun or not.

Don't care if the road is flat and straight. Flat is good.

I can get more miles from my tires.

What other reason could there possibly be to ride other than adding miles to the odometer?

15K+ since July. (But who's counting?)

40k+ last year and a half.

And that's lving inFlorida where it's too hot to ride most of the year.

Or raining.

Or the roads are full of topurists.

I don't see the point of track days.

Going round and round just to end up where you started. confused.gif

No oncoming traffic, no dogs, deer, bears, wild hogs, or matresses.

No traffic lights.

What kind of challenge is that?

Nope, give me the open road.

Mile and miles of it and I'll be happy watching the numbers turn over one after another, after another, after another, after another, after another. wink.gif

...I only ride my bike to accumulate miles.

Might as well just invest in a tire and oil company then.

While I need to get on the bike just to 'de-stress' on a fairly regular basis and I have the opportunity to ride to work (and return home) and have done that on a number of occasions, I can't do that just "to accumulate miles".

If it's de-stessing, to me it's shifting my mind to concentrate on something other that what is causing my stress. I don't get on the bike and think "O.K. I better 'accumulate' 175 miles today." I get on the bike and it forces me to forget what was otherwise bugging me, and focus on the Ride. That Ride could be 25 miles through heavy traffic, or 75 miles up and down a mountain pass. In the end, it's Not that it's 25 miles, or 75, or 175 miles. It's the Ride. Oh and if it was just 'accumulate miles' I could most safely accomplish that at the track (albeit after 100 laps, I'd probably be bored stiff). I'd rather have 5,000 highly invigorating, challenging, exploratory miles under my belt, than 50,000 miles of slab (and at far less mechanical expense)

It's not the Quantity, it's the Quality of the experience.

Regards,

Mike O

OK, I voted earlier, but it was purely extrapolation. Since my experience is different than others here, I'll put my $.02 in... (much of which I'd put into an introduction post if I had ever done one... tongue.gif)

Prior to June '06, I had probably 30 cumulative minutes on motorcycles - all of them dirt bikes - in my life. And the most recent of those was a 5 minute stint on my roommate's bike where I low-sided in a roundabout not 2 blocks from my house - in 2002.

Long story short, I took MSF the last week of June, got my endorsement on June 30, and rode my f650cs (purchased that week off eBay) about 1000 miles my first (and only) week of ownership.

I traded the f650cs in the first week of July for my (then) new r1200st (hey, it needed a new tire lmao.gif), and I just rolled over 12k on the way back from Death Valley on Sunday.

So, I don't know how many miles I'll have in my first year of riding, but the first 4.5 months have been pretty fun and a VERY good distraction for me - which is what I honestly needed. (And yes, as Jamie put it, I did kinda jump into this feet first.)

I've logged over 100,000 miles since learning to ride 5 years ago. 92,000 of those miles have been on the RT that I bought in April of '03. I can't think of any of those miles that weren't part of a wonderful adventure whether dashing out alone for a ride through the local mountains and desert, joining with friends for sporty day rides, doing multiple 600 mile days on a solo jaunt to British Columbia, riding across the country just to surpise the folks at an El Paseo or riding alongside my husband on the way to Florida in 48 hrs, just because. Each type of ride contains its own joys, challenges and accomplishments and I've loved every minute.

I'm not sure, Mike, but I think he's being sarcastic. smirk.gif

It always amuses me that when any discussion of miles comes up--even when it's prefaced by "not a competition", or "not an us vs. them" sorts of disclaimers, it seems that there are ALWAYS a few who have to come on and complain about other respondants "bragging" about numbers of miles like we're whipping it out here in a locker room. I just don't understand the complex some people apparently have about things like that. tongue.gif

Personally, I really, really enjoy riding a motorcycle. I enjoy riding to work. I enjoy riding to far away places that I might not otherwise find the excuse to visit. I enjoy riding to not so far away places to share the ride with like-minded friends. I like riding alone. I really like riding with my wife. I like riding with a group of talented riders on a twisty mountain or desert road. I don't mind droning on hundreds of miles of slab, but there's usually a good reason I'm doing it: like I'm meeting up with folks from the wrong coast who I'd never meet otherwise and shaking a hand and sharing a meal and seeing their favorite roads, or just to challenge my own limitations of what I'm capable of and shrinking the country and the size of my "playpen".

Yes, the RT makes any of those things that much easier and more fun, but I really fail to see how that's an indictment of some sort. Yeah, I could try to do an Iron Butt Rally (and likely kill myself) or do a BunBurnerGold 1500 on a Honda 70CC motorcycle (and likely fail miserably), I don't do lots of other extreme challenges (never done a track day either) but that's not what I enjoy. I also don't feel the need to denegrate those who do enjoy those things and I think having them in the world makes it a much more interesting place.

Oh, and creeping up on 120,000 miles since September of 2002. wink.gif

I can say I've enjoyed all but a few thousand of those miles as I also commute in heavy traffic and San Diegans can really drive like idiots (and the cell phones are making it WAY worse). Honestly, who just goes out to put on miles on a bike with the same drudging approach that they would for, say, mowing their lawn?? "Man, I really don't want to go for a ride today, but the oil's getting thick and the gasoline's turning to varnish so I'd better get out there so I can hold my head up high at the next Beemer Rally." dopeslap.giftongue.gif

Even the worst day on a bike is better than all but the best days in a cage.

So far, I've averaged 8700 miles per year for the 2.75 years I've had my RT. I didn't count miles on my V-Strom, though.

Forgot to mention that this year's above average: 12K August-November!

Archived