IGNORED

Basic new owner questions

OldTexas

Hey Folks,

I just purchased on eBay a 05 RT with 1400 miles, so basically the bike is new. Can help me with when the first service is scheduled? I've heard there may be an initial service at 800 mi required. The bike is coming from a dealer trade in, so there's no clear knowledge if any service has yet been performed. Apologies in advance for a stupid question. I pick the bike up next week, so any indications of things to look for is welcome. I figure risk is somewhat mitigated by the low miles and existing BMW warranty.

thanks again,

Gary

The initial service is at 600 miles, so chances are REALLY good that it's been done already. I don't know of a good way to tell if it has been done. If you want to be sure (assuming that there is no "stamp" in the service manual from the dealer that did the 600 mile service), you could just have it done (again). To my knowledge, there wouldn't be any harm in that (other than spending money.)

The initial service is at 600 miles, so chances are REALLY good that it's been done already. I don't know of a good way to tell if it has been done. If you want to be sure (assuming that there is no "stamp" in the service manual from the dealer that did the 600 mile service), you could just have it done (again). To my knowledge, there wouldn't be any harm in that (other than spending money.)

Hi and welcome to the board wave.gif

Assuming the 600 miler was done by a dealer then it will be recorded on BMW's database and any dealer can interrogate that to determine what work has been carried out on the bike, including services, recall etc.

The next service is due at 6000 miles and they follow at 6K intervals. You should get two handbooks with the bike, one rider manual and one maintenance manual; read both and you will have a good feel for looking after your bike. For detailed information then ask here - there is no better resource on the internet than this site and the folks are friendly too. Check ot the Ride and Events planning forum from time to time - and try to get along to one of the meet-ups, wether it be a tech-daze, un-rally or just a coffee.

Andy thumbsup.gif

You should get two handbooks with the bike, one rider manual and one maintenance manual

Don't panic - there is only one combined manual with 1200RT

Thanks everyone. I'll try to find out through the dealer network whether the service has been done. Lets say that it can't be determined, or that the stamp isn't in the manual (I will check that). Would there be any significant risk of damage riding it 400 more miles home to get the service done? Is there a break in period fot the 1200RT where you should avoid any particular RPM range, etc?

Really looking forward to the new bike. Don't laugh, but just sold my Harley. Traded 1980s technology for 21st century technology and put $1K in my pocket. On a long road trip to Big Bend earlier this year, I was, well, envious of my buddy and how comfortable he was on his 1100RT. I meanwhile looked really cool, but was deaf and shaking after 500mi. Can't wait to ride the 1200RT home!

Gary

The 600 is pretty important that it be done as close to 600 as possible, as it is the one time that the heads are re-torqued. If you determine that it hasn't been done, get it in as soon as you can.

But as mentioned, the importance of the 600 is emphasized pretty hard by just about everyone involved with BMW R bikes, so it is likely the previous owner had it done. What did the seller say about it when you asked him/her?

Hi Gary

Congratulations on your new bike!! I bought my 05 RT a year ago. Let me just say you are going to love this bike. Regarding the service see if you can find out what dealer sold the bike. Sometimes finding the dealer is as easy as looking at the license plate frame. By supplying the the VIN number you should be able to find out if the 600 mile service has been done. Don't fret too much about the mileage. I bought an 04 RT in Ft. Worth in Dec. 04 with 2.3K miles on the bike and it had NEVER been in for service, recalls, etc. I had the 600 mile service done and the bike ran perfectly. In May 05 I rode it back to Ca. via Big Bend which was worth every extra mile I rode to see that park. Enjoy your new bike. It is a keeper for sure.

Don't panic - there is only one combined manual with 1200RT

And, unfortunately, it says very little about specific maintenance. A dealer should be able to provide you with the schedule for recommended 6,000 (ca. $300) and 12,000 (ca. $500) mile service items. Recommended break-in is max 4,000 rpm for the first 600 miles, so you shouldn't have to worry about that now. Although you should be aware that BMW boxers take a while to fully break-in as my '06RT is just starting to really smooth out at 11,000 miles. Enjoy your bike - and watch out for those road runners and javelinas in Big Bend!

Tom

Thanks once again to everyone, I can see there are some very knowledgeable BMW advocates here. FWIW, if anyone does get the chance to take a ride to Big Bend, I highly recommend it (during spring, fall or winter). It is like no place else. There was a pretty good article in Ride Texas last month on the area, its roads, etc. The author took a 650GS through some of the non-paved roads in the park. It's really breath-taking. Here are some pics of our ride this Spring...

http://www.oldtexas.com/BigBend06/

enjoy!

Gary

Archived