IGNORED

Garmin GPS 276C Ver 4.60 warning

Stan Walker

I just attempted to upgrade my 276C from version 4.10 to 4.60, skipping the releases in between. I then attempted without success to upload a new 500 MByte map set. An I/O error occurred after 10-60% completion in every attempt. Restarting Windows, power cycling the 276C, reducing the map size, and using a different USB port all failed.

I reloaded the 276C firmware with version 4.10 and the new map set loaded on the first try.

I sent off an error report to Garmin about this. I fully expect them to say I should have loaded the skipped versions......

I'll report on the actual response is once I receive it. It will probably take them a week or so.

Stan

Stan, was the 276C getting power from the mains or the battery? I have had problems sending memory-intensive tracks and maps to the 376C when it's battery-powered.

was the 276C getting power from the mains or the battery?

Fully charged battery when I started. Running in Sim mode.

Interesting point. I wish I had more time to play with it but I need to get it ready to ship to Jan in Florida. She's planning on driving her dad's car out here to Calif with a stop to see the grandkids in Colorado.

Stan

Aluminum_Butt

I fully expect them to say I should have loaded the skipped versions......

I'd be really surprised if this is the answer. For this kind of firmware upgrade, I'd think that the existing program gets deleted before the new program gets loaded.

I'd think that the existing program gets deleted before the new program gets loaded.

Code yes, but settings are sometimes allowed to survive (and settings did survive the upgrade to 4.60). If an address changes for some of those settings then the old data appears corrupt. It's possible that settings were cleared on one of the intermediate updates and by skipping that update I missed that clearing and ended up with a problem.

By the way, I write embedded firmware for a living, just not for Garmin.

Stan

Aluminum_Butt
I'd think that the existing program gets deleted before the new program gets loaded.

Code yes, but settings are sometimes allowed to survive (and settings did survive the upgrade to 4.60). If an address changes for some of those settings then the old data appears corrupt. It's possible that settings were cleared on one of the intermediate updates and by skipping that update I missed that clearing and ended up with a problem.

By the way, I write embedded firmware for a living, just not for Garmin.

Stan

Guess I should always check the bio of the poster before responding. grin.gif

Thanks for new insight on settings and memory registers. I never considered that. I continue to be amazed by what I learn around here. thumbsup.gif

that's just great to hear. I just updated in the hopes that it would solve my voice prompt problems. They stopped working. Looks like I may have caused more problems. Help, Garmin!!

Archived